Implant Temps

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Curious as to the various schools of thought regarding the contour of emergence profiles for immediate placement temps. In my mind, you would want to contour the temp with a gradual slope from the implant interface to where the crown exits the gingiva and have the tissue heal to what would be a natural emergence profile. I have an account who would rather me create the "lollipop-on-a-stick" contour and actually undercontour the emergence profile. He claims that if isn't done this way, the gingiva will recede. I really thought the whole idea was to have the tissue heal to the correct emergence profile. Thoughts?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
My experience is make the tissue conform to the way you want it to. The gingiva recedes due to bone loss around the implant during biological width formation regardless of the temp design in most cases. Lollipop or mushroom designs are not very hygienic. my $.02

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the maximum i will impinge the tissue is 2mm in any direction, but i will always impinge it.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Biologic width is the most important factor in making sure you can contour the tissue. If the dentist doesn't understand that you're wasting time. Proper biologic width will allow you to create a really nice, natural looking emergence profile on the restortion. If not, a lollipop on a stick is what you'll have eventually as the tissue will pull back.