Implant question from patient

L

Lesley

Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice. I appreciate you all are lab technicians and not dentists, but have you ever heard of constant odd taste/sensation since placement of dental implant.

I have had three dental implants in the UK. I have had no problem with any until the latest one, (surgery three months ago) to replace upper left canine. Immediately after surgery I noticed a very strong and very odd constant taste and 'tingling' on the tip of my tongue. I really cannot describe the taste; almost like a tingling menthol but not as nice as that sounds! This taste and sensation completely disappeared when wearing temporary flipper. At follow up appointment Dentist said it was peri-coronitis and put on a different implant cover and course of flagyl. Three months later, I have my permanent bridge and the taste/sensation is worse than ever. It is affecting everything I eat. Dentist says he has never heard of this before. I am wondering if I am allergic to the implant.

I do appreciate I am probably in the wrong place to post but would appreciate any input

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
You need to hook up with VTDave, he's all about this kind of stuff. Maybe send him a PM.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Galvanic reaction???
It's not an uncommon phenomena to have a weird taste in the mouth, although I do believe sometimes the restoration does have to replaced with some other type of metal composition to get rid of it. Best to speak with a Dentist and address your concerns to them. Good Luck!!!

L

Lesley

Reaction score
Thank you both.

Just googled galvanic reaction...:O

Last edited:
Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
check with your dentist or a second opinion , x ray, clinical examination if the crown is well seated to the abutment implant, if the infection is still present, the sort of hygiene you're having . . .
Then good cleaning and brushing might help.

You're saying the taste was from the first surgery when a healing or cover screw was inserted, usually it's from titanium and no Galvano should occur.
So we start all over by clinical examination before doing anything.
This is my opinion .:)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dissimilar metal corrosion?

whos using nickel? i thought bad british dentistry was a thing of the past!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"whos using nickel? i thought bad british dentistry was a thing of the past! "

you must be jokin, its rife.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
We had a patient who had an almost salty taste in the mouth. She was hypersensitive. In the end, it turned out that the gold plating on the lingual metal collars was the problem. Polished it off and she was normal again.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
comparing upstate new york (barfalo) with anything other than satans green armpits is a logical fallacy, rkm. you know that.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It was those Watertown Madonnas with the Moms Mabley smile that did it for me:D