Identica Blue

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
My Steinbichler uses a very special firewire conection to the camera. Point Grey - Imaging Products - Flea2 CCD FireWire 800 Cameras

Camera is from Point Grey Research, in Canada.

The Medit uses a cheaper version that uses USB, also from Point Grey Research.

These are very expensive machine-vision cameras, not for home use. The Steinbichler uses a mono-color camera for the Blue light.

Medit will switch to this same type in the summer.

Like the first DW 5 series !! :D They started good.....

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I tried a regular firewire plug, found on my Motherboard....didn't work.

Then a Texas Instruments firewire card, nope....

Then a Point Grey Research card (ordered wrong One)

Then another stupid fokking card from Point Grey....finally had damn scanner working.

What a pain in the d1ck!! I was yelling at steinbichler for days about how rediculous this was!

Just ship me the correct card next time you silly Germans! LOL

I cannot believe how friggin picky this camera is! Unbelievable.

Only works with Two or Three firewire cards on the planet! No other connection would work.

Can you believe it? Me neither!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
IDS was loaded with new products that are not yet available. Not,sure if they missed the launch date or just wanted to show new products that will be available in the future.

N

Nancy

Reaction score
been looking at this also as might be in the market for a scanner soon.

waiting for availability and pricing at the moment.

the 3shape d900 looks pretty awesome but its out of my $$ range and the yearly fee is a huge turn off.

think me brothers waiting for a demo of 3shape's new IOS Pod set up. Should be interesting.

trouble is i dont see the SLA models being good enough for his anterior work as theres not enough detail so not sure how much use its going to be.

Initially I felt the same way about their subscription fee but it has really worked out. I get ALL the upgrades-which happen a lot! And have access to their webinars and trainers. I haven't had one issue in dealing with the support team. If you are looking for cheaper scanner- i think the D700 would be a good option.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
d700 is less accurate and slower than the current medit, let alone the new one.

laser is yesterdays news by the looks of it, even the d900 has gone over to projected light, despite 3shape trying to argue not long ago that laser was just as good. err why change with the d900 then??

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
d700 is less accurate and slower than the current medit, let alone the new one.

laser is yesterdays news by the looks of it, even the d900 has gone over to projected light, despite 3shape trying to argue not long ago that laser was just as good. err why change with the d900 then??

I aksed them the same question at the IDS . No answer .

F

fleshfly

Reaction score
Any one with this new scanner? Have to buy one trying to figure out if the blue is worth the extra bucks.

S

supwrman

Reaction score
If you don't meet margin fit of your CAD/CAM crown and you have trouble to make CAD/CAM Inlay case, Blue is one of solutions.
Many reasons are bad fit of CAD/CAM crown.
Milling machine has plobems such changing each axis.
Or shrinkage of zirconia block is not correct.
Or prep. tooth has a lot of undercut.
Or Scan data is not good.
As your crown has bad marginal fit, main reason must be scan data.
Real one compares with scan data.
they are not same. they are similar. Epecially dental scanners (low price and small scanner)
Margin area of real one is sharp, But margin area of scan data is dull.
Blue has sharp scan data. Medit is apllied new scan agorithms and technology
It like TV situation( Full HD TV and CRT TV)
Scanner is first stage of CAD/CAM.
Scan data is very important.

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
Any one with this new scanner? Have to buy one trying to figure out if the blue is worth the extra bucks.

The innovation is not only the blue (compare to the identica SE white light) it's just that now accessories are better, you can put articulate model inside, you can scan impression single and double side, blue is better for wax scan or metal scan, you can scan the texture (more information for your preparation for margin lines or for partial ),futur development for the post core .....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
- The current SE series Medit scanner can also scan articulated model set and uses the same accessories as the Blue. Exact same/same. No difference.

- I do not think impression scanning is going to work on any optical scanner. EVER! It is a matter of physics. Just cannot see around a corner no matter what camera you use or what color the light is.

- I do see the camera specs are different now for the blue @ 3.9mp

That was not what was originally posted by Medit months ago. ?? Maybe the cameras are different from the SE series, which is not what i first thought. I guess I will have to pop the cover open and just take a look for myself One day? I thought both had 2.0mp cameras, but now they changed the specs on the site?

Last edited:
Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
- The current SE series Medit scanner can also scan articulated model set and uses the same accessories as the Blue. Exact same/same. No difference.

- I do not think impression scanning is going to work on any optical scanner. EVER! It is a matter of physics. Just cannot see around a corner no matter what camera you use or what color the light is.

Yes there's a big difference. Inside the identica SE you can put only the model + antagonist and need to do the articulate by yourself. Inside the blue, you can put directly your model + plaster on the base and do directly your scan. You have more space (height) inside the blue than the SE.
The hole inside the multi dies are more big than the SE and you have a new accesorie to scan the impression.
They have change the calibration panel too. Now you do directly the calibration of the camera and the axes in one time.
[quote="***, post: 118881, member: 430"- I do see the camera specs are different now for the blue @ 3.9mp[/quote]

Yes for the blue is 3.9mp, we have change the resolution since the IDS.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We have not had a problem scanning any articulated model set in the SE.

We leave the articulator attached to the models. Do not articulate by hand, as you say.

Not really sure what you are talking about there?

It is nice that the cameras are higher resolution, but without matching higher resolution projector, I am not sure if you really gain that much.

The SE had much higher resolution cameras than the actual projector....Maybe the projector has also been changed??

Do you know how many lines vertical and horiz.?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hallo Jean Michel what about a measuring comparative maybe 6 scanbodys with large distance three times scanned without opening the screws so theirs no rotation or position difference or a prep model but thats more difficult to do with lots of mistakes.

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
Cadfan, you speak about witch scan : se, blue ? Sorry i don t understand your question.

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
I know Scott that you CAN do that with the se but you need to put out the plaster. If not your are not into the area scan. Now with the identica blue you CAN do both. I Will send you a picture as soon as possible to show you.
Sorry for my english ;-) speak french is better for me to explain.

Jmvisa

Jmvisa

Reaction score
We have not had a problem scanning any articulated model set in the SE.

We leave the articulator attached to the models. Do not articulate by hand, as you say.

Not really sure what you are talking about there?

If you are using disposable small articulator that is fine, we do not have problem with that. The problem is when the case is articulated in any semiadjastable articulator. Just to get the models inside is difficult and the model holder that comes with the machine is pretty much useless. Also the position of the camera makes it difficult to do the vestibular scan, since the model will be very high up in the scanner due to the mounting plaster and the opposing mounting model will be on the way of the camera in the scanning. You have to do several re-scans, repositioning the models. In some cases we have to make a bite and scan that as bite and opposing.
That doesn't mean I don't like my Medit, every system has something that is a pain.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I can not wait for the Medit identica blue to be on the market ( in october per Daug) to give it a test drive befor buying. What is the length of the warrantee on hardware and software in the US?. Per Daug it is one year!!. Some agents offer diffrent options, Some come with coputer and some do not!!.

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
Jmvisa si exactly that. Now with the blue you Will not have this problem.