Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom Scanners?

• Thread starter Nu Technologies
  • Start date

Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom

• Identica Blue

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Degree of Freedom

Votes: 33 47.8%

• Total voters
B

Bbopp

Reaction score
I recently bought the Medit blue and love it. Fast scans and precise. I had been using 3shape for last 4 years at previous lab. I don't see much difference. From my experience I don't like working with origin.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
@ TheLabGuy

Do these people you know have the newer scanners from 3shape and Medit? I would have thought that the newer scanners would be just as accurate as the ST2.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
@ TheLabGuy

Do these people you know have the newer scanners from 3shape and Medit? I would have thought that the newer scanners would be just as accurate as the ST2.
Medit Blue 2015 and D900 are the newest and 'collecting dust' from what they told me as it pertains to full arch and large bridges. Not enough data, and I have to believe them, they weren't trying to sell me anything.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
By how much is the ST2 slower. let's say production per day. In 8 hours. ST2 vs Freedom ( Origin) . This, Adrian. Scan & design.
Not sure about the Freedom, haven't played with it but have only heard good things...including that the cameras move instead of the table. Like I stated, for simple 'mac and cheese' cases almost all the scanners out there will work and do it in a timely fashion, but when it comes to full quadrant or full arch, nothing on the market compares to ST2...but it's a industrial scanner, it's massive from size of motors, how big it is, the data files, etc... it dwarfs our medit SE's.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Back from the IDS. I had some time to see/play with the DOF scanners, the Identical Blue, as well as the D2000 from 3Shape. All are impressive, but in my opinion, I really like the DOF. Heres why: its live now. The D2000 was cool as hell, but it is pre-production and not fully operational (and its nifty occlusion device didnt work for ****...). The ability to go back and re-capture data in select areas like an intramural scanner is great. Also, the ability of the machine to re-establish the model position on its own (if you pull the model out, or move it) is great. Overall, its a utilitarian scanner that gets the job done. The Identica scanner, fell somewhere in the middle, but didnt really impress me. Oh, and from the DOF-USA president = Scanner and computer should be around $19k. New D2000 from 3Shape is going to be $42-$44k. That sells it for me.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Back from the IDS. I had some time to see/play with the DOF scanners, the Identical Blue, as well as the D2000 from 3Shape. All are impressive, but in my opinion, I really like the DOF. Heres why: its live now. The D2000 was cool as hell, but it is pre-production and not fully operational (and its nifty occlusion device didnt work for ****...). The ability to go back and re-capture data in select areas like an intramural scanner is great. Also, the ability of the machine to re-establish the model position on its own (if you pull the model out, or move it) is great. Overall, its a utilitarian scanner that gets the job done. The Identica scanner, fell somewhere in the middle, but didnt really impress me. Oh, and from the DOF-USA president = Scanner and computer should be around $19k. New D2000 from 3Shape is going to be $42-$44k. That sells it for me.
Was that the newer larger version with 2.0mp cameras and 3.0usb?

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
The DOF scanner? Yes. The larger one that you place the articulator inside. Its a very cool machine, and the staff was great. Lots of pride in their product, and super amped up to be in the market. Rumor has it that they will be distributed exclusively by one US supplier. I don't want to say the name if there may be a deal on the table or any confidentiality.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The DOF scanner? Yes. The larger one that you place the articulator inside. Its a very cool machine, and the staff was great. Lots of pride in their product, and super amped up to be in the market. Rumor has it that they will be distributed exclusively by one US supplier. I don't want to say the name if there may be a deal on the table or any confidentiality.
Who?...out of curiosity?

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Cant say yet... I don't want to step on toes or get myself into a pickle. Thats one of the other great things at the IDS... tons of wheeling and dealing going on. import opportunities, distribution, sales; its all on the table.

A

AdrianB

Reaction score
Cant say yet... I don't want to step on toes or get myself into a pickle. Thats one of the other great things at the IDS... tons of wheeling and dealing going on. import opportunities, distribution, sales; its all on the table.
Is it Origin, B&D

A

AdrianB

Reaction score
I recently bought the Medit blue and love it. Fast scans and precise. I had been using 3shape for last 4 years at previous lab. I don't see much difference. From my experience I don't like working with origin.[/QUOT.
Who did you buy it from? Thanks. Adrian.

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
Medit se and ineos red
I'm still trying to forget the red and I liked the se until I got the DOF. Faster and easier to use. Half my cases are on full size atricutalors.
SE suck hard... we still have one operational.... their repeatability is low accuracy and they are made from cheap parts. Most anoying thing is asembly with hot glue.
Medit blue and medit light went huge step further in quality.

ChrisBWJ

ChrisBWJ

Reaction score
Going to take a stab at this.

Aside from having a much more physically stable platform to start from, I'm going to assume that the camera angles are wider apart on the ST1 and ST2 then they are on the smaller box scanners. Wider camera angles provide better accuracy and precision that higher resolution cameras closer together, just can't make up for. And its those wider angles that likely prevent the ST1 and ST2 from ever effectively scanning impressions.

@ TheLabGuy

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
is there a new DOF model out? Origin is trying to sell us a newer model for a higher price.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Yes there is a newer model. Larger chamber 2.0 megapixel cameras vs. 1.3. 3.0 USB vs. 2.0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nu Technologies

Nu Technologies

Reaction score
Yes there is a newer model. Larger chamber 2.0 megapixel cameras vs. 1.3. 3.0 USB vs. 2.0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is correct info. Degree of Freedom HD. Imagine Milling is a re-seller located in Virginia.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Thank you. That was exactly what I wanted to know.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Trying to decide which scanner to buy. I have done research on both but wanted to get any second opinions! Thanks guys.

Freedom Scanner is superior design because it has more degrees of "Freedom". The projector orientation to the scan geometry length is important since their are distortions from the projector. The projector image is divergent with typically less distortion "side to side" vs. "top-bottom" on most commercial projector. Custom projectors/optics with collimated projection light don't have this issue. Medit and other scanners use off the shelf projectors.

Ken