I might have screwed up this cast frame...

E

erinspeed

Reaction score
When I was casting this wknd, one of the rings blew out and sent metal out into the casting well. I just figured that it was junk, so I dropped it in a sink of cold water so I could find out which refractory to start duping ASAP. When I was done casting everything else, I broke the now cold frame out. IT CAST!! Complete in every way, except where the sprue stopped where it blew out because it was too close to the ring.

Question is, Do I scrap this because I metallurgically (sp?) ruined it? Do I finish and polish and move on? This might seem like a stupid question to you vetrans, but I am self taught and learn more from my mistakes than than I do from my successes.

Oh, yeah: Bego Wironit cast in induction machine.

E

erinspeed

Reaction score
yes, I know bego says not to quench...

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I thought the quenching was bad because it can cause warpage. Good question though.
What you may have learned from the experience though may be to not be in such a rush to 'discover' your mistakes. You could have started the process over (getting a new refractory model) with little investment in time or material) and given your frame the time it needed without quenching. Did you use a silicone mold or Hyrocolliod? If you used silicone you could repour without any trouble.

E

erinspeed

Reaction score
Tim,
I think you missed the point of the question.
Is this partial usable? Does quenching make the metal more brittle, or just make it more likely to warp?
I have already started making a new refractory. Will be rewaxing first thing Monday AM.
I think I might have to ask a metallurgist to get a straight answer, and then I will get scholarly theory. Was hoping to get a practical answer from techs that have been there...

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
No, I didn't miss it. That's why I said 'good question'. I know quenching gold affects it physical properties as to its 'hardness'. I don't know about chrome. I'm curious as to the fit of this case. Is it warped? or does it seem like a tighter or looser fit? I would think a call to bego will answer your question. I hope you will update us on what you find out.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
I think it would depend on how quick you quenched the ring.. Was it red hot or had it bench set for 10mins or so....

if it sat for a bit your probably okay but if not you have damaged the lattice of the metal and your frame will be brittle..