I CAN'T FIND MY

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Was it an ash no5 i have had 3 of those wax sabers stolen one was stolen thrice i had to go and get it from the guy every time he came into the lab.He only stopped stealing after i bought him one for christmas.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Was it an ash no5 i have had 3 of those wax sabers stolen one was stolen thrice i had to go and get it from the guy every time he came into the lab.He only stopped stealing after i bought him one for christmas.
So I can expect a package from you in late December?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I just googled Ash no.5, I think that's exactly what it was. I never knew what it was, or even what brand it was. Now to figure out where to order an Ash no. 5. Thanks Grantoz!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get an Ash no. 5 in the U.S.?
It seems to be widely available in the UK, but not here.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If not, how 'bout directions to Grantoz lab?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If not, how 'bout directions to Grantoz lab?
His lab is a little farther than the UK.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I went to work for my uncle in 1982, I was 17 and just out of high school. I did all the model work and waxing and learned other stuff as I found time. A few years later he hired a young women to do what I was doing so that I could learn porcelain. She was married and her name was Yvonne and I trained her, sometime in the first week or so I started calling her Why-vonne and it stuck. We worked side by side for ten years or so and became the best of friends. I could talk to her about anything, she was the big sister I never had. Eventually I got married, we lived 70 miles away and I got tired of the commute so I set up a lab near home and continued working for my uncle. I'd run up there once a month or so, any other time I got up that way I'd visit Whyvonne or if she was down our way she'd visit.
All of which brings me to the waxer in question....
One day she had my waxer. I said "hey lady, you've got my waxer". She replied, "I don't see your name on it"
The next chance I got, I ground the brand name off of it and replaced it with my own. It was like that for about a month until she removed my name and replaced it with "Whyvonne".
Eventually she went to work elsewhere, I lied when I said it was the only thing I took when I left. Actually, when I went on my own my uncle gave me everything I was using, an entire labs worth of equipment, including my carver with Whyvonne's name on it.
Whyvonne and I still saw each other whenever we could, our kids basketball, baseball, softball games, whatever. She got sick, I visited as often as I could.
Her funeral was last September. The wax carver always made me think of her, more so in the last year.
I can learn to use another carver, it's Yvonne that I miss.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I've been sitting here for a couple of minutes trying to figure out what to say...now it really has some meaning as to the loss of both that carver and your friend, and of the memories they both meant to you.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I went to work for my uncle in 1982, I was 17 and just out of high school. I did all the model work and waxing and learned other stuff as I found time. A few years later he hired a young women to do what I was doing so that I could learn porcelain. She was married and her name was Yvonne and I trained her, sometime in the first week or so I started calling her Why-vonne and it stuck. We worked side by side for ten years or so and became the best of friends. I could talk to her about anything, she was the big sister I never had. Eventually I got married, we lived 70 miles away and I got tired of the commute so I set up a lab near home and continued working for my uncle. I'd run up there once a month or so, any other time I got up that way I'd visit Whyvonne or if she was down our way she'd visit.
All of which brings me to the waxer in question....
One day she had my waxer. I said "hey lady, you've got my waxer". She replied, "I don't see your name on it"
The next chance I got, I ground the brand name off of it and replaced it with my own. It was like that for about a month until she removed my name and replaced it with "Whyvonne".
Eventually she went to work elsewhere, I lied when I said it was the only thing I took when I left. Actually, when I went on my own my uncle gave me everything I was using, an entire labs worth of equipment, including my carver with Whyvonne's name on it.
Whyvonne and I still saw each other whenever we could, our kids basketball, baseball, softball games, whatever. She got sick, I visited as often as I could.
Her funeral was last September. The wax carver always made me think of her, more so in the last year.
I can learn to use another carver, it's Yvonne that I miss.
Aw, leaky eyes here. So sorry for the loss of your friend.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Im sorry to hear about the loss of your friend working in labs you meet some great people.By the way ivoclar sell a carver very similar to the ash no5 not exactly the same but you can modify it .the original was sold i think by degussa or dentsply i think. Ash i think was an english company but i could be wrong.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I lost my ash 5 years ago as well. I think that's how I found dln.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Cat, as we mature we have lost many tech friends. I have some of my fathers waxers & wire pliers, (SS white) I would dread loosing any. I lost a friend in 1979 and she willed me her tools, there was a burglary and equipment & tools takes I miss Carmrns waxers the most. Dad worked until 1997.
Hope you find it in a floor crack, or drawer edge.