Hypoallergenic denture base resins?

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! I had a doc call up today that has a patient who is experiencing a burning sensation. Intra oral tissues are beet red. Pt. Has been in for multiple adjustments. Made this pt. Full upper and lowers about 3 months ago. Poor patient. Doc just kept adjusting and sending them home. Anyways, what can I use other than thermoplastic? Anything? We have some ancient hydrocryl in storage which I'm thinking about trying a test pack to see if it even cures. I have durability and pt. Comfort in mind here so any help is much appreciated. Thank you very much! -Bob

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Doris! Have you any experience with the Astron 1180? How much does it flex? Ability to be relined? Does it bond to teeth or do you have to incorporate mechanical retention inside your teeth?

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
It's been 20 years or more since I've used vinyl, so to tell you the truth, I don't remember. I'm sure Astron would be able to answer your questions.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I would check what the patient is using to clean with, some cleaners leave residue causing reaction. Some medications can cause problems, diabetes & cardiac medicstions in particular.
Materials to try would be Astron 1180 vinyl, Vynacron Vynapac matetials 1-800-932-7612, or if you have nylon injection equipment stonerock, acry-Tone. clifford alergy institute lists those as hypoallegenic.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The nature of vynal is such that diatorics are recomended, if you use tooth bond use very little some can cause porosity. with 1180 you will need a plaster additive to prevent matetiall blanching. The vynapac works more like standard PMMA trial packing material, both have some flex to them, but not like nylon. Both materials can be relined, reline with 1180 requires full flasking, with Vynapac you can jig reline. Vynapac uses a milky liquid, something a little different keep shaking to insurr good mix. dont try short cure with either and both work best when injected. DVA Acrylic separator works for all 3 1/800-228-6696
There is a pour form of Vynapac, ask Steve for it, I like it for my processed baseplates, i can thin almost paper thin over ridge for tooth setups.
Astron has a new more flexabil material Composit LabTec you could ask Doug about at astron. 1-800-323-4144.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Wow. Thank you so much for all the great info AJ! I do have a few questions though. You mentioned a plaster additive to be used with the Astron 1180 to keep from blanching. Can you explain that a little further as I am unfamiliar to that technique? Also, how thick should the palate be to reduce flex? Will material be more likely to cause sore spot in vestibule because of palatal flex vs. a rigid acrylic base? And lastly, is their any type of product that you would have to use (like how valplast uses valfuse) to ensure bond of reline? So you recommend long cure for both?

Thank you so much for your help. I really value and trust the information in your posts. I always learn something new!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
additive should be used instrad of water when making processing model, if model is supplied from DDS you can heat model in toadter oven after boil out 140f about 10 min and add chemical, opposing should have added during flasking. DVA can be applied after blanch has soaked in, if you dont have grest undervuts you can use a type IV stone to process snd wont get blanching. They are vinyl not type 12 nylon, not flexible like that. No special fuzing liquid needed to reline or repair. if there is a true allergy, you would want to reline with parent matetial, mark case accordongly.

long cure should be used if you microwave cure use Vynapac.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
As per thickness of palate, you can go as thin as 1.5mm with Astron or Vynachron, Stonerock you need 2.5 to insure injection, and prevent crazing.
If you are going to use Astron the material comes from Lk Zurivh,IL in a premixed pad keep refrigersted until 30 min prior to packing, you can cut into pieces to flask while fill trial packing.Doug or Bob can send you a 2 unit pack with plaster additive.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I'll see if the doc is willing to let me borrow the plates. I'll probably rebase with the Astron. Thanks again for all your help!

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I would check what the patient is using to clean with, some cleaners leave residue causing reaction. Some medications can cause problems, diabetes & cardiac medicstions in particular.
Materials to try would be Astron 1180 vinyl, Vynacron Vynapac matetials 1-800-932-7612, or if you have nylon injection equipment stonerock, acry-Tone. clifford alergy institute lists those as hypoallegenic.
I've had a call for a vinyl denture, Astron and Vynacron have BOTH discontinued their vinyl material. Anyone know where else I might try to find it?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i know perflex had something a while back, but it was still a TP so i dunno if that makes much of a difference. They claim it was hypoallergenic, but i don't know what properties about their thermoplastic makes it so.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ivocap may be enough to reduce the monomer content.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I've got a call into Ivoclar to find out.
Are you able to do any of the injectable nylon types? I have a cartridge furnace you could borrow if you can push it through your IvoWhatzit.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Are you able to do any of the injectable nylon types? I have a cartridge furnace you could borrow if you can push it through your IvoWhatzit.
No, it only injects ivocap acrylic. Thanks!

O

Old School Dentures

Reaction score
If it's an acrylic allergy , which it sounds like I would process them or jump the cases in Duraflex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Ivocap may be enough to reduce the monomer content.
I talked to Bill and he said to boil the ivocap an extra 10 minutes and that should do it, and also make a small disc for the allergist to tape on her to make sure
she isn't sensitive to it. He also told me he was just calling to make sure someone named, oh what is his name again, oh yeah @Patrick Coon had called me:Call:.
He didn't, I guess he doesn't like me anymore Bawling Bawling Bawling

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I talked to Bill and he said to boil the ivocap an extra 10 minutes and that should do it, and also make a small disc for the allergist to tape on her to make sure
she isn't sensitive to it. He also told me he was just calling to make sure someone named, oh what is his name again, oh yeah @Patrick Coon had called me:Call:.
He didn't, I guess he doesn't like me anymore Bawling Bawling Bawling
I didn't see a call from you, Doris, or I would have. Bill can answer the Acrylic questions better than me anyways.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom