1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard nightguard with denture tooth

Discussion in 'Removable' started by Davesgone, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Davesgone

Davesgone New Member

I have a doctor who wants to include denture tooth #5 on patients hard acrylic nightguard. Any suggestions on how to include #5 ?
  2. kcdt

kcdt Well-Known Member

Well, you could use tooth shade resin to fill the space; or use a denture tooth. I'd set it in the space and tack it down with plaster at the gingival 3rd.Wax over it just like its natural with the rest.... you may want to blast (pastiche) the occlusal 3rd to ensure the splint resin bonds. make sure the artificial tooth doesn't hang up in the path of insertion in any way.
    Just a glorified Essex really.....
    Rather odd request- does the patient wear this 24/7 or they just really vain and can't sleep at night without the tooth....?!?
  3. AJEL
    Artistic

AJEL Well-Known Member Donator

U said it a glorified Essex, I usually use a denture tooth process it with a matrix then remove the matrix & make a nightguard over it. I get a few per year most teeth I had in one was 4. Ive done the same with the Ivoclair Ortho tac to be a space-maintaining brux implant radiograph stent.
  4. Stuffdogg

Stuffdogg New Member

I did these all the time working in house for a prosthodontist. I don't know why the Dr called them "night" guards when these are made as splints to wear daily?? More of a hybrid guard/flipper or as stated before an essex. I mount, wax and process these just like a denture. My dentist wanted these heat cured in clear. I would recommend injecting if possible. The trick is getting it to look like it is in the same plane as the other teeth especially when the dentist wanted to open the bite with the splint. After boil out there is not much stone matrix for the tooth/teeth to index into because you must wax over the occlusal. What I did was set the tooth/teeth, wax the guard as normal then make a matrix with putty just over the denture tooth, then clear off the wax over the facial and occlusal of the denture tooth. Next cure some clear ortho resin using the matrix, then process as normal. They came out great! Ive also done this without using the matrix and just stacking the clear ortho to the proper contour. hope this helps.