Hader bars

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
I am doing these analog for the time being. It's been awhile and the question is how much to charge. I am thinking a flat rate at $250.00 per site but I'm not sure. Any help/input would be appreciated.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
How much do you think ucla's cost Wade?

If you are quoting labor plus parts plus alloy then yes 250 a site is fair for your hard work but are you including all the analog steps to get ready for casting? What happens if you do not cast a passive bar? Then you cut weld. Who pays for that? How much do you think this bar will finally sell for simple hader with this would be in excess of 2k analog

Lets figure it this way,

4 analogs soft tissue model , verification jig using the cheapest non eng temp cylinders $45 a piece, non engaging UCLAS average Tier one 225 a fixture, GOLD,

and your hard earned knowledge to manipulate pattern resin to get a prototype ready to cast Lets say its 3 total hours of you time.

What does this bar actually cost to fabricate compared to a CAD CAM bar?

While often we look to exploit our talents with knowledge and our hands it does not make financial sense to do it that way.

While I love what I do, I have made a career out of getting paid for it, I am not here to give away talent and push myself to use old technology and find away for a client to swallow and accept a bill. Digital is here to MAKE US MONEY. Makes us more valuable to our clients, there are a TON of restorations I sell for multiples of what my clients can get else where for. These do not sell well for me and I have realized that these items are never going to be a best seller. I look for ways to make it more appetizing to my clients and of course digital allows me to be more profitable and offer a better price while still making my desired profit margin

Wade you know I love ya, I always take time to talk to you and share what wisdom I have. There are times in this trade where if we are not compensated and selling our talent for what it is worth we need to think about outsourcing it to someone that has the tooling that we then can mark up a bit and make a little on the side.

Its all MATH here Wade, economics do not lie, and on top of that any milled bar is WAY more precise and predictable than anything you can cast on EVERYONES best day.

Remember I am not sharing this to make you feel bad, its quit the opposite, I am trying to get you to think how you can take the trust your clients are giving you and turn it into money.

Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
How much do you think ucla's cost Wade?

If you are quoting labor plus parts plus alloy then yes 250 a site is fair for your hard work but are you including all the analog steps to get ready for casting? What happens if you do not cast a passive bar? Then you cut weld. Who pays for that? How much do you think this bar will finally sell for simple hader with this would be in excess of 2k analog

Lets figure it this way,

4 analogs soft tissue model , verification jig using the cheapest non eng temp cylinders $45 a piece, non engaging UCLAS average Tier one 225 a fixture, GOLD,

and your hard earned knowledge to manipulate pattern resin to get a prototype ready to cast Lets say its 3 total hours of you time.

What does this bar actually cost to fabricate compared to a CAD CAM bar?

While often we look to exploit our talents with knowledge and our hands it does not make financial sense to do it that way.

While I love what I do, I have made a career out of getting paid for it, I am not here to give away talent and push myself to use old technology and find away for a client to swallow and accept a bill. Digital is here to MAKE US MONEY. Makes us more valuable to our clients, there are a TON of restorations I sell for multiples of what my clients can get else where for. These do not sell well for me and I have realized that these items are never going to be a best seller. I look for ways to make it more appetizing to my clients and of course digital allows me to be more profitable and offer a better price while still making my desired profit margin

Wade you know I love ya, I always take time to talk to you and share what wisdom I have. There are times in this trade where if we are not compensated and selling our talent for what it is worth we need to think about outsourcing it to someone that has the tooling that we then can mark up a bit and make a little on the side.

Its all MATH here Wade, economics do not lie, and on top of that any milled bar is WAY more precise and predictable than anything you can cast on EVERYONES best day.

Remember I am not sharing this to make you feel bad, its quit the opposite, I am trying to get you to think how you can take the trust your clients are giving you and turn it into money.

Nothing more nothing less.

I am REAL close to getting a scanner. I fully realize the importance of this. Right now I'm not going to pass on this work despite the fact that I am doing this analog temporarily. You make numerous valid points and I agree totally with you.