Glaze or Polish?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Are you glazing your monolithic Zirconia or polishing? Glazing on the axial surfaces and just polishing the occlusals? This was brought up a couple of times at the Spectrum Day seminars in Chicago. A couple of presenters talked about how glaze will crack and wear off within three years.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Maybe, the anti-glaze presenters were polishing the occlusals and then just glazing the non-occlusal surfaces.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Maybe, the anti-glaze presenters were polishing the occlusals and then just glazing the non-occlusal surfaces.
My beef with this fear mongering is that gc lustre paste is not a glaze.
.It's fired under vacuum and has structure to it. Meaning that you can add a contact ,marginal ridge etc.
I would ask these "experts" if add on porcelain will wear off in 3 years?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
They weren't referencing stuff like Lustre Paste. It was the clear glaze we use to finish monolithic emax or Zirconia.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
My thought, is what am I doing wrong? If I hand polish the occlusion it looks differently than the glazed part, like sheet metal o_O

I know if you over polish the zi at to high of a speed or to fine of a paste you can get that look (sheet metal, mirror, mica look) Do you just hand polish at a slow speed with a pink wheel and use a medium grit of paste?

Don't some zirconias need the glaze paste firing to bring out the correct shades and values, like Imagine and the new Lava gradient zirconia?

For those who say the glaze wears off in 6 months (heard that one before) or 3 years and are worried about glaze wearing the opposing
aren't they contradicting themselves? If the occlusal part is hand polished before adding glaze paste, what would it matter?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
The polish only presenters were pre-sinter staining all their work. One of them showed two anteriors side by side, one glazed and one only polished. There was definitely a different look to them....one of them might have had more value? I should have taken some pics of what they were showing, but my phone was dying.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Glaze beads up like water on a freshly waxed car with polished zirconia, in my experience. I can't get an even spread on highly polished occlusal surfaces.

they weren't adding any glaze to the polished surface.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Glaze beads up like water on a freshly waxed car with polished zirconia, in my experience. I can't get an even spread on highly polished occlusal surfaces.

That's what someone mentioned to Don C at JED, and he said for InSync glaze, to not thin it out, as it can bead up like that.
I still lightly sand blast the whole unit before applying the glaze, for the reason you mentioned. Do you think in lightly blasting the unit, especially the
occlusion and the glaze wears out, is that surface gong to be abrasive?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
That's what someone mentioned to Don C at JED, and he said for InSync glaze, to not thin it out, as it can bead up like that.
I still lightly sand blast the whole unit before applying the glaze, for the reason you mentioned. Do you think in lightly blasting the unit, especially the
occlusion and the glaze wears out, is that surface gong to be abrasive?
Of course it will be coarse. <--- s w i d t?
I do the same as you do. I polish the occlusion and blast the whole unit a 1 bar before glazing. Emax as well.

*edit*
I never thin my glaze.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Where were these concerns when we did pfms?
Have you seen what these weapons of mass abrasion have done over time?

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
I polish full contour monolithic, it looks better than glazed.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I polish full contour monolithic, it looks better than glazed.

Devon, can you describe how you handle your zirc after milling? Do you presenter stain? Do you do any "touch ups" in the green state? What is your finishing process after sintering? Thanks!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Devon, to add to Brett's questions. What if you have to tweak the shade after sinter, ie the harder 3D shades, and you have to use a stain like on the ging 1/3rd, do you use a glaze paste on the whole crown to give it the same look?

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
Devon, can you describe how you handle your zirc after milling? Do you presenter stain? Do you do any "touch ups" in the green state? What is your finishing process after sintering? Thanks!

I do everything in the green state i can so that I don't have to do anything after sinterring. I use a 3m scotch brite pad type thing that's on a wheel and it polishes the zirconia down in the green state beautifully. I then add any details manually to the zirconia to match the other teeth.. lines, nicks, grooves, whatever.

For staining, everything is hand painted. I have a chart made up to achieve the desired colour for all shading systems.

After sinter, I check fit. Sandblast. Bake some stain in the grooves with gc lustre paste's. Then under scopes I polish any scratches with a blue point on the occlusal surface. And blue wheel any other area's for esthetics. Finally, with a stiff brush wheel i polish and make the crown pop with DVA zircon brite.

admire
invoice
out the door

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
Devon, to add to Brett's questions. What if you have to tweak the shade after sinter, ie the harder 3D shades, and you have to use a stain like on the ging 1/3rd, do you use a glaze paste on the whole crown to give it the same look?

you can use the gc pastes without glaze to make minor changes in shade.. it will still polish manually by hand .. but this only works for minor shade adjustments. if there's a major shade change.. back to the drawing board.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
My thought, is what am I doing wrong? If I hand polish the occlusion it looks differently than the glazed part, like sheet metal o_O

I know if you over polish the zi at to high of a speed or to fine of a paste you can get that look (sheet metal, mirror, mica look) Do you just hand polish at a slow speed with a pink wheel and use a medium grit of paste?

Don't some zirconias need the glaze paste firing to bring out the correct shades and values, like Imagine and the new Lava gradient zirconia?

For those who say the glaze wears off in 6 months (heard that one before) or 3 years and are worried about glaze wearing the opposing
aren't they contradicting themselves? If the occlusal part is hand polished before adding glaze paste, what would it matter?

I find that the Wow polish does not give that mirror appearance to the zirc. , unlike zirconbrite.

Has anyone ever rubbed two glazed crowns together? It feels like there is sand paper in between. But they appear
glazed smooth.

I spray my glaze on with an air brush so I don't have a problem with beading on application. ;)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I spray my glaze on with an air brush so I don't have a problem with beading on application

What glaze are you spraying, the canned stuff or airbrush?