General placing ankylos

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
aimg.tapatalk.com_62f9628c_7ee0_9d63.jpgOne of my general dentists started placing ankylos awhile back. I keep getting stuff like this? What do you guys do about this?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332247920.918318.jpg

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
First thing I would recommend is not to section the model. No matter how great you base is there will be some movement. Remember on this system you will be making an abutment seating jig that will rely on a index to the adjacent tooth so its critical not to have any errors here. Once they seat and tap the abutment to place, if its off just a tiny bit then the crown will be as well.

I hear that there is a transmucosal type of abutment that is either out or soon to be out that will allow for screw retained restorations. I am not sure if they are just releasing these for bar cases or if they will work with singles.

While this system is not my favorite it seems that Dentsply in some areas of the country have some rather fine reps as they are starting to be a bigger part of my implant business.

Good luck with that pig, I am sure you will hit a home run like many of the cases I see you do!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
needs a custom abutment..

either youll have to send it to a compartis scanning center (think they have to be designed through the CERCON software)

Or you could make a custom ZR shell to bond over a regular titanium abutment as long as the doc is OK with that.

OR maybe you could get away with modifying an anterior balanced one.

do you have the abutment selection kit?

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Paul, no selection kit:( just started restoring a few of these about a year ago. Maybe one or two a month. The two docs placing these are not using the sulcus formers or placing the implant the correct depths. I really am growing to dislike the abutment selection as well. Very limited.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
they dont look to be quite as deep as they need to be for any sort of custom CAD abutment; maybe for a custom metal piece, sure.

however having said that i find these implants to work quite well in odd angles or in anteriors - but NEVER in a bridge.

i mean it will work, but to get the proportions right is an absolute nightmare if you dont have the patient's previously worn flipper/acrylic partial/temp model to work with.

are you making the surgical stents for this doctor?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Never deep enough. They just purchased a ct machine. "Don't need surgical guides" they say...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
back away slowly.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Some CAD scanners do not get good data unless you have sectioned model.

We ALWAYS section when Implant is close to adjacent tooth. Neighbor tooth casts shadow.

Maybe not with my new scanner?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have to section my models to get what I need with my CAD system. Your new scanner may capture it? I still have to remove tall preps occasionally to capture all adjacent tooth contact area as well.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have to section my models to get what I need with my CAD system. Your new scanner may capture it? I still have to remove tall preps occasionally to capture all adjacent tooth contact area as well.

All my abutments are scanned on non Sectioned models with Nobel optical scanner. ON a very rare occasion on a tight lateral I may have to make 2 models as they sometime can not pick up a locater but it is one out of a hundred.

I sure hope my new 810 doesn't have this annoying feature.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Like John said, all are done on a solid model, no need to section. Looks like a stock abutment would work just fine. you just need to figure out the height of the gingival crest. Use the Regular "C" abutments, they come in .75mm, 1.5mm, 3.0mm and 4.5mm. Angles are 0*,7.5*, 15*,22.5*,30* and 37.5*. Other than that you may have to outsource for custom abutments, only 2 or 3 providers available.

BTW/ PFM or FCZ?

Last edited:
Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Like John said, all are done on a solid model, no need to section. Looks like a stock abutment would work just fine. you just need to figure out the height of the gingival crest. Use the Regular "C" abutments, they come in .75mm, 1.5mm, 3.0mm and 4.5mm. Angles are 0*,7.5*, 15*,22.5*,30* and 37.5*. Other than that you may have to outsource for custom abutments, only 2 or 3 providers available.

BTW/ PFM or FCZ?

Don't forget to make a seating index/jig if you are using "C" type abutments.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score

Let us know how it goes. Would be interesting to see the milled intaglio with anti-rotational elements, do the milling instruments allow for that type of geometry? Please post pics if you can.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Like John said, all are done on a solid model, no need ................BTW/ PFM or FCZ?

Sometimes....You HAVE to section model to capture data for CAD/CAM.

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Sometimes....You HAVE to section model to capture data for CAD/CAM.

Section and scan all you want Scott, no problem here. Just when the placement jig is made it should be done on a solid "unsectioned" model,,,,,,,, duhh hhhh hhhts zall im sayin.popcorn

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I agree about some fine rep. The one in the Dallas Fort Worth area
very knowledgeable and great personality. He also supports the Xive
or Friadent/Frialit system
LCM

Top Bottom