FREE .stl viewer

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I actually bought the mandible w/out teeth. It was part of a complete skull from
turbosquid. It was around $300. Sorry, but I can't give out any more of it. (the file I mean)

I obviuosly removed the skull and all teeth. Just a tease of it I guess?

It was a masterpiece of the human skull. Even had the smallest detail around ear and nerve exits, etc.

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
No I totally understand not sharing proprietary models. I'm working on my own maxilla/tmj/mandible model from a CT dataset. At some point later in life, when exams aren't so pressing, I would like to be able to take a nice CT scan (or optical scan),have it segmented in a relatively timely fashion and spit out a clean STL that can be 3d printed on the cheap out of ABS or something. For education, case presentation etc and not necessarily of diagnostic or clinical quality. I'd say I'm about 90% with ~ $0 in software cost and the printing part is getting cheaper by the second (Maker Bot, shapeways.com etc). How cool would a giant full arch of different preps/inlays/onlays implants root canals etc be as a puzzle with removable restorations to have in the waiting room? To some, maybe not so cool, but to this guy... :)

neila

neila

Reaction score
Scott, I am still getting an error with Filezilla... 530 Login incorrect...Is it just me or is anyone else having this issue. I wanted to check out some of the 3D files you have :confused:

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
No I totally understand not sharing proprietary models. I'm working on my own maxilla/tmj/mandible model from a CT dataset. At some point later in life, when exams aren't so pressing, I would like to be able to take a nice CT scan (or optical scan),have it segmented in a relatively timely fashion and spit out a clean STL that can be 3d printed on the cheap out of ABS or something. For education, case presentation etc and not necessarily of diagnostic or clinical quality. I'd say I'm about 90% with ~ $0 in software cost and the printing part is getting cheaper by the second (Maker Bot, shapeways.com etc). How cool would a giant full arch of different preps/inlays/onlays implants root canals etc be as a puzzle with removable restorations to have in the waiting room? To some, maybe not so cool, but to this guy... :)

What do you recommend for your 0$ software? Any special site? Thanks

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
neila,

its still working for me. Double double check all the settings :) then post a screen shot so we can see whats up.

-Patrick

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Scott, I am still getting an error with Filezilla... 530 Login incorrect...Is it just me or is anyone else having this issue. I wanted to check out some of the 3D files you have :confused:

Double check user name and password.

Log-in type is "normal"

It should work just fine. ??

What software are you needing up above there?

What do you want to do? Did you get Blender?

Soem files are for dropping onto a prepped tooth, then stiching to the margin, so there is no bottom! It looks like a big hole. When printing, our software sees that and goes ahead and forms a skin there to make water-tight.

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Short answer

3d slicer for segmentation from data (eg... CT scan to .stl)
Meshlab for cleaning/repairing/mesh integrity
Blender for shaping, sclupting, subdividing, smoothing....the final .stl which i then recheck w/ meshlab.

Long answers:

Im using 3d slicer to segment the models out of CT data. Takes a little practice learning what the different algorithms do and the general learning curve of the software is a little tricky but totally worth it. Really powerful software, I've only scratched the tiniest snowflake of the iceburg. Lot's of tutorials. It was developed with NIH(and other) funds so it's meant to be used for the general good.

3D Slicer

I use meshlab to clean my data. (Delete duplicate points, delete lonely points, non manifold edges, close holes etc etc). I'm still a newbie at this too but I'm learning the ins and outs slowly. I just learned today it's pretty good at closing holes. Again, another very powerful free porgram

MeshLab

Blender is what I use to create, edit or animate. It has really powerful sculpting tools. It's interface is SLOW to learn (for me) and not the most intuitive. That being said, there is a tutorial for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING out there. It's free, open source, huge community, not going anywhere. It's lacking in some of the CAD department because it is really an animation program (NURBS support isn't great, fileting, no scale etc) but it works great for me. Plus, if you got the right textures etc, you could render VERY LIFELIKE restorations as ad/promo material.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Short answer

3d slicer for segmentation from data (eg... CT scan to .stl)
Meshlab for cleaning/repairing/mesh integrity
Blender for shaping, sclupting, subdividing, smoothing....the final .stl which i then recheck w/ meshlab.

Long answers:

Im using 3d slicer to segment the models out of CT data. Takes a little practice learning what the different algorithms do and the general learning curve of the software is a little tricky but totally worth it. Really powerful software, I've only scratched the tiniest snowflake of the iceburg. Lot's of tutorials. It was developed with NIH(and other) funds so it's meant to be used for the general good.

3D Slicer

I use meshlab to clean my data. (Delete duplicate points, delete lonely points, non manifold edges, close holes etc etc). I'm still a newbie at this too but I'm learning the ins and outs slowly. I just learned today it's pretty good at closing holes. Again, another very powerful free porgram

MeshLab

Blender is what I use to create, edit or animate. It has really powerful sculpting tools. It's interface is SLOW to learn (for me) and not the most intuitive. That being said, there is a tutorial for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING out there. It's free, open source, huge community, not going anywhere. It's lacking in some of the CAD department because it is really an animation program (NURBS support isn't great, fileting, no scale etc) but it works great for me. Plus, if you got the right textures etc, you could render VERY LIFELIKE restorations as ad/promo material.

Pat, Thanks for the heads up on Slicer.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
to edit no* prob dmonwaxa.

Scott,

I took one of the example shells you had, subdivided a few times, accentuated some anatomy, proportionally dragged some cusps and tried to throw some texture on it. Looks terrible but proof of concept is there. Blender is pretty solid in terms of editing teeth. I can do anything that the CEREC 3D software can do :D If I had preset groups of vertices for...grooves, ridges, cusps etc....it would be super quick too. Do you have a good way to stitch to margins in blender? That would be awesome. I had planned on making some blocks, lowering them onto a prep and then booleaning out the intaglio.....and letting my computer sit for a day while it does it. Copying the prep mesh as the intaglio, stitching the preformed crown and then editing the tooth seems like the way to go. I just need that little auto find margin tool from all the dedicated dental softwares. Render attached.

-Patrick
messing_around.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's awesome!!

I'm busy playing with machines recently, and need to get back to software training for myself. I have too much CAD stuff that I have not started to master yet.

The controls are goofy for Blender. It makes my head hurt with the layout of it at first. I would use other software to do that stuff, and have no idea of a way or even a good way to do it in Blender. There are Blender forums you could post questions on of course. BlenderArtists Forums

You could get a CT scan, and pretty much design anything if you sit down and learn one of these programs. I need to do that, or hire someone who already knows it. Have fun playing!!

GoeMagics has a tool similar to the margin finding tool. Then create an offset (cement gap zone) and start the new shell inside based on the prep and stitch your shell from tooth-library to the margin, or margin-offset if you added one? (like for milling Zirconia material)

InVesalius - Trac

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Here are some sample (free) CT data sets.

CASIMAGE Home Page - Radiology Teaching Files Database - Radiology Quiz

"Insicix" is one of the jaw and part of the skull. This is the set I've been playing around with. Whoever it is has good occlusion (and a perm retainer). Here is a render of the mandible which I have extracted out as an STL. Although it looks kinda like all the teeth have been prepped (by some sketchy dentist),it's just how slicer found the hard tissue. I had to clean this one up a lot to even get it to this point. It still has all it's internal geometry :-( which is wasted info unless we are planning an implant. The thing that looks like a bridge coping is how Slicer3d extracted the enamel. Kinda neat. Let me know if anyone wants the STL's and I will put them in the FTP folder

-Patrick
full_mouth_recon.jpg

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
With some CT software, you can segment out an individual, living tooth, design the crown right on the prep. Tomorrow, I'm going to show you a virtual endoscopy of a root canal. Science fiction come to life. This stuff is cool as well as practical. CT scans are becoming the standard for care for many treatments, and the accuracy implications are far reaching.

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_CTSegmentwire.gif
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_CTSegmentwire.gif

Last edited:
Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Not to mention the radiation....:confused:

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Not to mention the radiation....:confused:

A quicky scan with thick slices would be one thing,

but getting the detailed data needed for making C&B would take a while (thin slices) and I would imagine it would have to be quite a healthy dose a rads.

no? (I don't really know any facts about CT scanning)

How do you keep a patient's head from moving?
Any little 10um movement, even the patient's heart beat would
move the subjet I would think? What is the scanning time at full resolution? Seems impossible to get a head still for that long?

I really do not know that stuff either??

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I learn something new every day! Meshlab is quickly becoming my new favorite software. Here it filtered out the internal points based on ambient occlusion. I remember reading a paper about ambient occlusion profiles being used to filter point clouds from CT data...didn't understand it at the time. Now it makes sense...Screentshot of Meshlab selecting all the internal geometry from an STL file using ambient occlusion. Could this pull the root canal systems out of teeth? Possibly. The teeth out of their sockets....maybe. New weekend project :-/

I'll be anxiously checking back here for the virtual root canal endo scope tour!
ambient occlusion.jpg

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Alright, morning remo exam is done (man that is something I would like to take to CAD/CAM...wax is so 1800's). Scott, any chance I could get a real single unit prep .stl? I'm going to start a new thread. "From prep to restoration in free software" to keep track of my steps and facilitate discussion. Later I will compile it into a coherent step by step.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
OK, It's up.

"detailed molar model pieces" file name.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
A quicky scan with thick slices would be one thing,

but getting the detailed data needed for making C&B would take a while (thin slices) and I would imagine it would have to be quite a healthy dose a rads. no? (I don't really know any facts about CT scanning)

How do you keep a patient's head from moving?
Any little 10um movement, even the patient's heart beat would
move the subjet I would think? What is the scanning time at full resolution? Seems impossible to get a head still for that long?

I really do not know that stuff either??

My scanner will do a full volume, high resolution scan in about 30 seconds. the scanner has braces for the patient, and the sofware has movement stabilzation, and distortion correction algorithms. The process runs during the reconstruction process.

You are 100% correct though, stabilization is critical. We put down a 20,000 pound steel reinforced ANSI foundation to mount the scanner. The new CT aqusition software and aluminum diffusor allow for .9um resolution.

Dr Aazavedo and our IT guy would have to give me the details, but it takes four computers to process the data and run the rescontruction engine. I think they will have the video ready sometime this morning if they didn't finish it last night. They were still working on it at 8:30 when I left.

The radiation exposure is not much more than a set of full mouth x-rays and a pano, but the nice thing is, it's a data set that can be kept in the patient records and used for every speciality, as well as medical exams. The resolution is fine enough to detect and examine caries, as you will see.

Imaging, and CAD CAM are changing so fast that almost as soon as we get things the way we want it, it's time to upgrade. I must compliment you on your ability to keep up with all of this and run a business at the same time. I could never pull that off.