Fixtures fixtures fixtures!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I do not think the nut would have been an issue, but I changed it already. Thank you for the comment. Maybe you were correct?

No problem I think now? I do have various shaped tools with long reach if necessary.

Long is a "relative term", when applied to such tiny tools. Keep in mind my photo is of the absolute thinnest disk I would use....an 8mm.

The clamps expand to accept up to 25mm....not more like I thought. I will make another design to accept thicker blanks up to 55mm possibly, and/or a twin disk holder side-by-side for dual Denture milling. Two Denture bases at a time. I bet the material will be smaller than a 98mm disk. Probably more like 60mm disks next to each other.

Scott

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Do you still not understand why I cannot have the grips rotated 90 degrees? It is very simple to understand.

It will not work rotated. If you think so, then draw a pic and show me your idea. Include auto-centering of various disks into your design as I have.

Scott

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This is a low fixture with collision waiting to happen IMO.....

Not much thought or effort put into this. Crap. Hope it's not your design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It barley clears when doing the back end of the model.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I do not think the nut would have been an issue, but I changed it already. Thank you for the comment. Maybe you were correct?

No problem I think now? I do have various shaped tools with long reach if necessary.

Long is a "relative term", when applied to such tiny tools. Keep in mind my photo is of the absolute thinnest disk I would use....an 8mm.

The clamps expand to accept up to 25mm....not more like I thought. I will make another design to accept thicker blanks up to 55mm possibly, and/or a twin disk holder side-by-side for dual Denture milling. Two Denture bases at a time. I bet the material will be smaller than a 98mm disk. Probably more like 60mm disks next to each other.

Scott

What made you take that guys advice if you think you had the right solution in the first place?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It actually was another issue I had with the parts....

The cover on the nut was poor fit to the internal hex. It had a tiny hex set-screw to place force on inner-shaft that was almost stripped when it was new and the internal 7mm hex had very sloppy fit to the part that slid on. It would have worn away at the internal 7mm hex bolt by screwing and unscrewing th fixture over and over. So, now we drive directly the inner hex only and Not transfered from one outer piece to the inner hex by poor fit.

Yesterday, we finished desgn for grips to accept flat stock, not round.

Like a Square or Rectanglular piece of material, also from 8mm-26mm in thickness for our first set of grips.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We can now swap grippers and use flat-edge stock to mill out of.

Such as a 75mm x 75mm sq. piece of Ti, for example.

Below is a much smaller piece. We are painting/marking the "hash marks" that have been milled at 5mm increments on One edge Yellow for Centerline and White every 10mm.

This set of jaws can hold stock from 7mm to 26mm in thickness when used with the vice. (Range of vice that jaws are attached to) They can be re-designed for a larger range if needed.

Scott

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0954.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0953.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0954.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0953.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The Nut maybe was not an issue, but I cut it for another reason. I think it is a mile away from the action, relatively speaking.

You say you have done this before? I have decided to take apart the TR-110 trunnion assemble and re-clock it to have Home position now much close to horizontal position and not pointing straight up, as far as the main trunnions swinging position of the table. You have done something similar? Also, my trunnion is going to be mounted 90 degrees sideways on table with custom bracket. Custom arrangement I think? I have not seen this done before....either of these changes.

Any other thoughts anyone?

The mill is really not perfect design for dry-milling. It would take some days of modification.

Scott

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Where is my Nut-Buddy? (skeet-skeet)

Hello? Still out there?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
CAD drawing of my fixture used by CAM for collision detection.....

Done by CIMSystem employee, "Gianmarco" this week.

Awesome work! The Blue parts move according to Z-thickness of blank.....just like in the real world environment, as I have designed!

It is automatic function set-up in CAM to match my fixture design. Very nice custom feature.

If blank disk is 8mm, then CAD parts move together to change fixture profiles, just like the real thing. It is an "active-variable", now in relation to current blank Z thickness.

Kinda complex design. Very professional set-up! Soooo Happy now!!

Post-processor for my Haas was finished tonight at 7:30.....right on time!

He flys back to Italy tommorow morn. We will finish the flat grip CAD file next week, but mill is fully functional with safe retractions for disk flipping, and proper Macros setup for tool offset measurements and tool breakage tests at end of milling operation using the Renishaw equipment I bought. It is good integration between many companys and parts! The Haas mill used the Renishaw parts to self-calibrate the work offset of my mill. We defined the "working" (not the "real machine 0,0,0,0,0) X-0, Y-0, Z-0, A-0, and B-0 in relationship to my physical arrangement of things inside milling chamber. (Rotarys and table position in relation to the raw spindle+ current tool being used) Very happy I bught the extra Renishaw kit with my Haas. Tool probe is awesome, and table probe is amazing. We have repeate of only +/_<1um if we test tool offset over and over! WILD ACCURACY! +/- <1um! I verified! Over and over...

Round fixture milling is done and ready for action.....We will finish up the specific strategys and tools used for each material in next few weeks...

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_FIXTURE_1.jpg

"Gianmarco" below.....

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0991.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_FIXTURE_1.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0991.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Same thing, but with the tool, and tool-holder, and spindle, and head of lower-unit.........

The rapid movenments of the Haas scare the 5hit out of me! FAST! ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_FIXTURE_2.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_FIXTURE_2.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My "Guru" has spoken.

All hail his knowledge and skill, and bow before him!.........(LOL)

We made a "one of a kind" CNC mill in a few days of programming. (Tue-Fri)

This is the only mill on the planet with such a fixtue for Dental, and with the trunnion turned sideways on a Haas. It really is an improvement on any current designs. (if I may say so myself) It was not so easy to make the post processor with Two axis turned sideways to the norm. Also, there were other "surprises" to my Haas we did not expect, but we plowed right all issues, using our brains.

This will whoop-a55 on any Haas OM2-a Glidewell has ever made, or even the Germans at Aro-tec.

Says me. It just doesn't get any better than this. We maxxed out the chamber. To the mm, in all dimentions.
I bet we have the most flexible Haas, with a larger work-space and more range of motion than any other such CNC mill.

B-axis of course is unlimited (full 360 degrees),and the A is a SAFE +/- of around 26 degrees from center. Not too bad I guess? Fixture is almost about to hit tool-holder at that angle, and trunnion is about to hit either the wall, or door of mill at extreme endge of disk... tool probe has reallt no where else to exist except for it's current position. etc...
One directional axis, we can tumble crown/bridge at +/- 30 or even 45 degrees.....the other rotary-axis only up to 26 degree +/-

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_FIXTURE_3.jpg

Scott

www.cimsystem.com

awww.moldex3d.com_en_assets_2011_10_logo_cimsystem.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_FIXTURE_3.jpg awww.moldex3d.com_en_assets_2011_10_logo_cimsystem.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I re-built the coolant nozzle on bottom of spindle this week with all new parts with less chance of collision.

Better design than what Haas had.

I forgot to take pics!

Tommorow!

So far, we have not broken anything. (knock on wood)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Your work is great, your ideas are great, your efforts are great and you yourself is great. It does not matter what credentials I have and how much experience I have. I have never questioned your fixture design nor I have questioned your CAM Guru. I asked because HAAS is a different machine than a lot of other mills. Anyways..
Regarding the bolt and the 90deg and the fixture length. I suggested all these for only one reason: Collission of the spindle head with the trunion dia. You could avoid that increasing the tool height but then your speeds will come down. Why rotate the fixture base?? The rectangular base that you have and the bolt on top of that would reduce the clearence of the spindle head when you are milling deep into the block. Rotating that base wrt the milling axis would give you the clearence.
Take the advice or leave it.

The Haas was kinda easy, uses standard FANUC G-code language and everything went as planned, and on schedule.

5-axis Post is finished. Collision is not an issue. CAM has all data to avoid it. The mill design is good for my first attempt I think.

All areas of disk are usable and have excellent range of tool angles.

Better than any other Haas I have seen. Greater degree of movements and rotation, and fixture is sweet! I love it! Can't think of anything I would change so far?

If you need any help in the future with a mill, then please just ask! ;)

Cheers!

Scott

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Scott, how did you get your fixture imported into SUM3D? That setup is now really sick. Well done. And yes the rapid movement of large CNC machines can be scary.

Sevan

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Scott, how did you get your fixture imported into SUM3D? That setup is now really sick. Well done. And yes the rapid movement of large CNC machines can be scary.

Sevan

25% Magic...25% Skill..and the other half......

awrharrispawnshop.net_files_2010_02_cash.jpg
awrharrispawnshop.net_files_2010_02_cash.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
New coolant-nozzle parts and position (smaller Brass parts and valve)....very safe location and function is not compromised.

This shape is not necessary to design in CAD for CAM to use as a consideration for collision. It is impossible for workpiece to touch nozzle, so we do not design it.

Of course, we have Automatic On/Off control we apply in the G-code for the Haas when/if needed. M8 and M9 commands work just fine.
This is set now for my Haas post-processor as option for the specific tool being used. User chooses On/Off only One time to set/change tool parameter, then it is written into g-code in the post sent to mill.

We leave the Valve Open, unless we are doing something else and CNC Controler turns pump On/Off according to g-code. I added a coolant "wand" to wash-down the interior of chamber if we choose to do so? Similar to an air-gun.... I also have an air-gun on hose right next to coolant wand. (outside the chamber)

Time to get messy!

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0994.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0995.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0994.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0995.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom