Exocad and crown to fit clasps and rest to PD

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
How can I scan a GC risin replica of clasps and rest of a partial to fit a zirconia crown and pick up the rest and clasp registration. Thanks

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
DoubleJawPartialTest.png

Set up job as if you are doing a restoration on both arches. This will allow you to be able to import an antagonist into the scene as well.

DoubleJawPartialTest2.png
Do a separate scan of the partial clasp on the model and import as antagonist using expert mode. This way you will have a working jaw to do the occlusal contacts and then when you import the clasp as antagonist you will be able to cut occlusal intersections to make the crown conform to the clasps/rests.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Sam,

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Dang...I'm waxing one of those up to scan right now. Never really tried to see if DW can do this...but I doubt it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Dang...I'm waxing one of those up to scan right now. Never really tried to see if DW can do this...but I doubt it.

2th is a guru.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I just scan the partial as a preop. When it asks for the preop, I remove the die and place the partial on the model so it can scan under the clasps.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I just scan the partial as a preop. When it asks for the preop, I remove the die and place the partial on the model so it can scan under the clasps.
That will work too. I am building a digital library of patient removable appliances to use later so I have scans of partials top and bottom to include the clasps.

Partial scan and merg14.png

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That will work too. I am building a digital library of patient removable appliances to use later so I have scans of partials top and bottom to include the clasps.
for your next trick, tell me how to do it with 3shape

user name

user name

Reaction score
Same thing, choose wax-up/pre-preparation when scanning
Agreed. Im sure 2th is the wiz here, but I always make most of my model with removable sections so I can seat the partial with the prep and adjacent areas out of the way so the scanner can see from all needed angles.

I think with 2ths way of doing it you could then cut to antagonist with out needing to wax knife it?

More than one way to skin a cat, but Ive always preferred a little fur on em.;)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Agreed. Im sure 2th is the wiz here, but I always make most of my model with removable sections so I can seat the partial with the prep and adjacent areas out of the way so the scanner can see from all needed angles.

I think with 2ths way of doing it you could then cut to antagonist with out needing to wax knife it?

More than one way to skin a cat, but Ive always preferred a little fur on em.;)
I don't do pinned model work. I only work from solids or IO scans. So your way is probably more efficient for your technique. Cutting the intersection to antagonist works great, then just add a pubic hair of wax to the clasp tip contact point. My guys are saying that these are the best fitting crown to partial they have ever seated. No 3 prong pliers.
If I have the partial, I take the extra time to scan it on both sides then register it to a scan with it in place. Some extra time, but now I have it on file.

1s & 0s kick assWavey

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Same thing, choose wax-up/pre-preparation when scanning
figured so, was trying to bait 2th so i could call him a one trick pony Laugh

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This where my Trios comes in handy.( get it ?)

I can scan a partial from all angles and then give it back to the patient.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
This where my Trios comes in handy.( get it ?)

I can scan a partial from all angles and then give it back to the patient.
Does it read metal parts without spraying ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Does it read metal parts without spraying ?
It's not bad but I do have to spray sometimes.Clasps are a bit shinier than metal linguals.
The software will fill in any voids too.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The software will fill in any voids too.
That could lead to inaccuracies...kinda like you trying to patch bubbles on a plaster model only worse...AI vs brain...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That could lead to inaccuracies...kinda like you trying to patch bubbles on a plaster model only worse...AI vs brain...
The software will indicate any areas of concern that have holes. It is up to the operator to determine if the specific area requires more scanning.
Certainly a margin is of greater concern than an interproximal of the opposing for example.
Specific to a clasp,software fill in probably isn't a big deal.

When I'm scanning with a dr, they will observe challenges interproximally and under distal contacts.

Top Bottom