Etching a maryland bridge

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
It HAS to bonded, that's what they are. If it were cement, it would have washed out and delaminated, its just that the bonding agent needs a mechanical interlock, capish?
Have you tried rocatech?

Whats rocatech?
I googled but couldn't find anything

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Its a 3M ESPE product that creates an surface for adhesive bonding btween metal or ceramics and resin, usually composite (hence it can be used for resin bonding of metal to enamel).
It is basically AO that is coated in silicone. When you blast the surface the medium etches a mechanical interlock and the silicone is "smeerered into that surface by the temperature and force of the acceleration. The composite bonds to the silicone layer.
Its been around a while and has several generational products for specific uses.
You can find it on p312 of the Zahn catalogue.
If you know Mark Jackson, contact him and ask questions, I believe its something they use at his lab frequently and he always brings it up in these bonding type discussions.

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
is Rocatec the best bond for maryland, or someone have a better suggestion?

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
The old countersunk bridges were called "Rochet" bridges weren't they. It's been a while since I've seen one, but yes they are bonded. To enhance retention, and if there is enough thickness, creat some retention by "cross-cutting some lines inside the wings with a FG 35 bur. blast it, etch it, charge for it and send it back. JMO

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
Quote:
I have the same personality as you do. I think thats why I can only work for myself and by myself. If I were to employ someone, it would have to be an apprentice that doesn't have any prior experience. That way you can train them the way that you want things to be done and your starting with a clean slate.
Quote end

I disagree. You can find an educated employee who is willing to follow your vison and quality request.
I went through six years of "boot camp" with my previous boss who was obcessed with education and knowledge. It was not always easy to follow his rules, but I wanted to be part of his vision so much that I stuck with him for so long. He was very good in sharing this vision all the time and even he had sometimes a hard time following this path. Now that I am gone and have my own lab, I am often amazed to realize how much I learned from him at no cost (other than pain in the butt) and I am grateful to have gotten this opportunity. Now I have my own employee who has like me 30 years experience and one of her greatest assets is that she is caring about every case she does. I share with her my vison and she just willingly follows.
Maybe I am just very lucky. Who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom