Emax

M

mptz

Reaction score
Is it better to go down the milling route or the pressing route. What do most people do these days love some feedback. Thanks
Chris

R

Rishv

Reaction score
Is it better to go down the milling route or the pressing route. What do most people do these days love some feedback. Thanks
Chris

We used to press to emax's a lot but we then invested in a milling machine about 10 years ago and then started to mill all of our emaxs. It's a lot more quicker and easier than waxing and investing.

The results are both the same, I would say the milled come out a bit better fit wise but then again it all depends on how well you finish wax work when pressing.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i have a perfectly good press here. so i mill wax and press it.
not as nice as hand waxed here....but nice enough that no one has noticed (except me)

M

mptz

Reaction score
What milling machine do you use

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Mill and press the milled pattern. For too many reasons to list. For those of you leaning toward strictly milled emax. How do you justify milling 6 veneers when you can press 6 veneers at the cost of one ingot?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
What milling machine do you use
i have a roland 51d, but with any decent machine, i doubt that the actual mill matters. a nice 4axis would do fine for most wax milling needs.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
If speed is more valuable than COG, then mill emax, if cost matters, then pressing is still WAY more cost effective. IMHO the fit and margins are better, although the contacts and occlusion on milled have become very good.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
We do both. I bought a Wieland mill about 9 months ago. If I had to do it again, I would probably stick to pressing. I just don't feel like we get the same anatomical detail in the milled restorations. The really nice thing about the mill though is the ability to turn something around fast with out a whole lot of fuss...

M

mptz

Reaction score
Wow some great back you real pros.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where -' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
'- so long as I get SOMEWHERE,' Alice added as an explanation...”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
Have you got good enough results getting modelless? Lately fittings with milled emax have been so horrible we don't dare to use it any more even with models. Do you know any trustworthy European milling centers? Planmeca and Straumann failed. We don't have own mill yet.

I you have many units to press from same colour, pressing is cheaper and gives better fit. But I mainly make single crowns on titanium abutments and rarely have two units to press at once. Also it's much easier to get a skrew hole just checking a box. Or it would be if they fit as they used to..

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
I don't see milling wax any benefits compared to waxing crown manually, unless you get intraoral scans. Scanning model + designing + milling takes more time than just waxing. And if you don't own a mill, milled wax costs 20 euros unit plus shipping. I have tried few demo cases, but fits were not good and milled wax was awful to fix. Weird, resilient consistency. I don't know if there is any better waxes nowadays.

Working costs are really high here. That's why it really doesn't matter much if you pay 20 euros one milling puck per one crown or 20 euros one ingot per two crowns. Saving would be 10 euros which is lost during a piss break and much more time is lost. Time is the precious thing we are lacking. Casting mass, liquid, mental health, milling burs and wax aren't free either. Of course if you get 8 laminates from one ingot, situation would be completely different.

charles hallam cdt

charles hallam cdt

Reaction score
Hand wax and press. Just keeps it interesting. Laugh

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
milling eMax depends on your cam providers strategies... try to talk to other people using the same strategies and ask what kind of results they get... do they ever break tools? Are the fits drop on or are they grinding in occasionally?

L

Leejh

Reaction score
Hello, I'm relatively new to dental lab network. I usually just read posts but I'm interested in this topic.
I think grinding Emax blocks isn't efficient compared to milling Zirconia disks.
However, I've been looking at Rosetta SM 98mm disk lately. I think milling/grinding emax disc would be much more efficient compared to grinding blocks.
I couldn't find lithium disilicate disks from any other companies.

SM_contents-03.jpg