Emax with metal post

P

Praven videssh

Reaction score
I got a emax layered case with metal stump.
which ingot should i use to cover metal stump?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I've had a few eMax recently over a post. I cast post in a ceramic alloy and gave it a layer of opaque.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I got a emax layered case with metal stump.
which ingot should i use to cover metal stump?

Depending on the thickness, at least MO, if not HO (with little room available).

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I've had a few eMax recently over a post. I cast post in a ceramic alloy and gave it a layer of opaque.

If I am not mistaken, you should always cover your opaquer with a layer of porcelain. This due to the "weakness" of the opaquer when edging it.
Although, if you use a cement that does not require edging of the substructure, I guess you are fine.
I am curious if somebody else has more insight.

M

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
how much room do you have?
ive covered metal with LT ingots, MT ingots, MO, and HO.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, you should always cover your opaquer with a layer of porcelain. This due to the "weakness" of the opaquer when edging it.
Although, if you use a cement that does not require edging of the substructure, I guess you are fine.
I am curious if somebody else has more insight.

M

Not sure what you mean by "edging". And weakness as in the bond? to the metal.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

I believe he is referring to etching (assumption) and it autocorrected to "edging".

Depends on the color of the metal post. Silver colored posts (assuming no opaque and glaze) then I would use an MO / HO (possibly LT) depending on final thickness (<1mm - HO, >1mm - MO, >2mm - possibly LT).

If it is a gold post (type III or IV),then an LT will probably do it at >1.2mm or an MT at >1.8.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I believe he is referring to etching (assumption) and it autocorrected to "edging".
Wow. No woder Ivoclar keeps you around. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what he meant by "edging"....

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

Sorry for the confusion. Back when, I was told the etching gel, that is used to prepare the site for bonding, weakens the opaquer, which, in the long run, would then come loose and the crown would fall off.

If that actually happens in practice, I don't know. When ever I did a metal post, I would opaque it and then cover it with Margin porcelain, giving it the shape of a 'real' prep.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
I thought it must be like rimming, but wondered why he bought it up here

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I had a case come in today with exactly the same prescription, emax over gold post.

I would normally go with the HO ingot but usually find it all ends up a bit bulky. I would prefer to use yellow gold for the post and press in LT.

I have never tried casting the post in bonding gold and then opaquing but am tempted to give this case a try.

Will the dentist need to modify his seating procedure if I do this?