Emax vs Feldspathic/refractory buildup

E

envisiondental

Reaction score
A patient came by a couple of weeks ago so I could get a shade for a #8 and #9. She came by today because she wanted some changes on the size..They were nothing like I envisioned though.. they were very opaque looking. I pressed with A1 Lt(a little cutback).. her teeth are about A1 maybe towards a C1 when I looked today. She was a little more concerned with size though than the shade but my first impression was "wow those are a bit bright and opaque'ish looking". So I could use some experienced help.
So I think I'm going to remake them a couple different ways.. first with an A1 HT pellet instead also with a bit of cutback.. or copings and full buildup?. Also building them on Refractory using 3g porcelain. Of course I'd rather wax and press the Ht's. Theres a few problems though.. ROOM! facially they are sticking out quite a bit.. like not much prepped so I explained that to her and she understood. The stump shade is just slightly darker/yellower than the shade so I'm not sure if I'm going to run into a problem there since they will be so thin.. even the Lt's were very translucent in those areas. hmmm.. any input will be appreciated.. I'll attach a pic of what I'm working with.
13759-1.42

O

odchamp

Reaction score
I would go for MO and full ceram build up if the bite allows.

D

dhdc

Reaction score
I would be very careful using HT in anterior region,even if you think the shade looks close to a ht tab,i would try to get that effect with over porcelain,ht will grey out badly,if you can get some pics of crowns in place im sure sone of the experts on this website will be able to advise you on the exact powders to use to get the shade.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
i would stick with the LT. Are you using the natural die material under it? why not cut the lt back to .5-.7 then layer the whole labial surface. maybe put a but of oe1 mixed 30:70 with a1 dentine to lower the value a little. then come up to the incisal with TI1 with a but of eo1 under it.
having said that without the photos it makes it a little more challenging.
good luck!
let us know how you go

E

envisiondental

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.. I'm going to give her a call on monday .. have her come in.. or txt me a photo or 2 and get them posted.. stupid that i didn't do that when she was at the lab yesterday! ..

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Judging by the model, I think the preps are a little on the shorter side........if so, I'd definitely build those units on a refractory model dies. From the lingual , set up the axis with an opacious dentin. From the labial, set up the pretty porcelain with the regular dentin and enamels. Good Luck !! James