Emax-Press v cad

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
emax to me is about aesthetics and any scarifies of strength is something the buyer seems to be willing to trade for the patient's acceptance. emax either way is currently the markets favorite trade of strength for aesthetics and cost. That's what the buyer wants and what they get. This material will in time be as irrelevant and many that came before it.

Gold is the stuff with the track record and the strength to outlast what is under it. Its just not an option for most patients anymore.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Well most of the long term success of these materials is down to bonding protocol and occlusion, so no i dont think it is that relevent IMHO.

2th-man

2th-man

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have had this same scenario in my small lab. I now scan and design everything on my 3 Shape. It's faster and now I have a digital copy in case things go wrong and I have to re-press. I have recently purchased a Roland DWX 50 and when something screws up it takes a minute to re-mill in wax. It saves fifteen minutes of re-waxing time. It has lowered my stress level when my Emax mistresses. In the last three months since we got the mill I have saved hours from those screw-ups by having a copy of my work and re-milling.

2bearnest

Reaction score
Moved post.

Last edited:
amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
rkm, could you post a pic of a pre-sintered emax cad on die so I can see the new quality of the margins? Could be educational for me!

RKM- when you have achance can you please post some pics- would be educational for me as well

thanks
Greg Amendola MDT

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
as many of you have pointed out that milling is more expensive than pressing emax-
so why does it seems that labs are charging less for milled emax than pressed?

i dont understand if it costs you more to produce how and why would you as business owner charge less????

Greg Amendola MDT

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Labor savings. The amount of time it takes to do model work, wax, invest and set, burnout, press, devest,
finish, stain and glaze. You can do 5-10 cad e.max. Also if you are outsourcing to Diadem, you don't have the
cost of inventory.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
as many of you have pointed out that milling is more expensive than pressing emax-
so why does it seems that labs are charging less for milled emax than pressed?

i dont understand if it costs you more to produce how and why would you as business owner charge less????

Greg Amendola MDT
We looked at the costs and end result. We always felt that press was superior because we saw many CAD units that had chipping. Now that better tools and mill stratergies have been worked out its no longer a problem.
The added cost of the block is offset by all the added labor and materials in the press process.
We are still pressing more than milling. But, it's a beautiful thing to make a crown in an 1-1.5 hours.

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
We looked at the costs and end result. We always felt that press was superior because we saw many CAD units that had chipping. Now that better tools and mill stratergies have been worked out its no longer a problem.
The added cost of the block is offset by all the added labor and materials in the press process.
We are still pressing more than milling. But, it's a beautiful thing to make a crown in an 1-1.5 hours.

thanks for the insight Bob- and i look forwrd to the photos

Greg Amendola MDT

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
That looks sweet RKM , what milling machine ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Diadem ( roeders?)

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
great seal on the margin- no problem with that-
thanks for the photo RKM

Greg Amendola MDT

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I find shoulder preps to be troublesome at times. I much prefer the dr to create a chamfer as indicated in the prep guide.

However I think they get used to the same prep for everything.

It's so easy to send the file and move on to another case.I have no plans to mill in house.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I find shoulder preps to be troublesome at times. I much prefer the dr to create a chamfer as indicated in the prep guide.

However I think they get used to the same prep for everything.

It's so easy to send the file and move on to another case.I have no plans to mill in house.

RKM, do they come from Diadem with the margins finished or are you finalizing them yourself?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I thin them out as I would the zirconia.

They ( Diadem) mill to a safe thickness which is fine,thinning out the margin in the blue state is quite easy with a universal polisher.