Emax HO - MO Posteriors

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has done a full contour premolar in HO and if so, what is the best way to reduce the value on the occlusal surface.

Have a single premolar (25) that has a dark stump between ND 7+8

Could i get away with an MO and maybe layer over the buccal surface.

What would you guys use in this situation

Cheers
Tony

S

SSDS

Reaction score
Hi Tony,
I have done a few, I use the emax essance stains mixed with emax zirliner all round build up liquid to keep the powders together. Jergen Seger uses this technique but if the Dr does an occlusal adjustment then goodbye. May be worth doing a small amount of cut back and use OE colors as your enamel. Our friends across the water in US may have a better technique as they seem to have worked with these material longer.
Regards Jim

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Thanks Jim

I like to use the occlusal patterns a lot when room permits so having then to cut it back and re-layer OE powders is a pain.

I have done 2 courses with Jergen in the last few years but we really didnt touch on Posteriors in HO.

I do recall someone saying they use the Profundo from the essence kit first.

Thanks again

Tony

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has done a full contour premolar in HO and if so, what is the best way to reduce the value on the occlusal surface.

Have a single premolar (25) that has a dark stump between ND 7+8

Could i get away with an MO and maybe layer over the buccal surface.

What would you guys use in this situation

Cheers
Tony

Tony, you definetely do NOT want to do a full contour HO restoration. Those ingots are designed for a coping or substructure only, then built fully with the ceram. Those ingots have so much masking capabilities that only a coping be waxed and pressed, then porcelain applied over all the surfaces. The HO ingot will easily cover that dark prep. Per your suggestion, yes, I believe the MO ingot may also work just fine, but again, that ingot must be fully layered - otherwise things are just not going to look right at all (high value & opaque). If it were me, I would press the HO1 or HO2 (depending on what the final shade is) ingot and layer. That will give you a very nice result.

S

SSDS

Reaction score
We did a lot of emax press to zirconia at LVI in full contour posts with cut back on the anteriors, I have done some of those cases here and use very soft staining on the occlusal such as soft blue cusp tips, profundo at the occlusal 1/3 and some orange and yell in he fossa, but all my cases have been A1 and patients want everything fairly monochromatic so the cases looked great. The profundo out of the essence kit is the same color as I2 in the tubes. Why don't you ring Ivoclar and borrow a kit of stains, if they don't have any you are welcome to borrow my kit if you are quick.
Regards Jim

S

SSDS

Reaction score
Sorry Tony, but I am talking about LT ingots with my suggestions
Jim

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Jim

Thanks for the help. I do infact have the stain kit already.

I have just ordered the HO1 + 2.

After using the LT from the start i think i need to get out the mentality of waxing to full contour and pressing every case :)

I will use the HO as you suggested in cut back form and layer over the top.

Didnt realise the Profundo was the same as the I2 tube, have not used it in the 2 years i have had the stain kit lol. Will now

Thanks again

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Tony for the HO ingots you need to layer over everything that is going to be seen.

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Will do from now on :)