Does monomer attack Polypropylene? I know Nalgene is impervious but wondering about Polypropylene...

N

nickate

Reaction score
I have used Google to no good answer.
Thank y'all kindly!

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I'm not sure about polypropylene specifically and not sure why your asking but this question reminded me of a funny story.

One day about 9 years ago now another technician from a local lab called needing to borrow some self curing monomer. I said sure and poured them about 4-5 ounces in a empty water bottle. My business partner proceeded to tell me that was a bad idea that the monomer would eat thru that bottle. I said no it won't. Well the tech ended up not coming to get the monomer so I stuck the bottle in a cabinet to prove I was right. 9 years later I still have that bottle and it still has monomer in it. Though it has turned yellow and appears to be evaporating it hasn't eat thru the bottle as my friend said it would. He claims to not be wrong because he "technically" didn't say how long it would take......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Funny story, gasoline will eat through a Styrofoam cup.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Longest thread name in DLN history? Hmmmm2

Does monomer attack Polypropylene? I know Nalgene is impervious but wondering about Polypropylene...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have used Google to no good answer.
Thank y'all kindly!
Put some in/on a piece and let us know. I suspect it may given sufficient time, but have no firm reason. If it feels slick or sticky to touch, or if there is a texture change, you have your answer.

If you are thinking of storing some in that material, I'd be more concerned that the liquid may get too much UV, if it's not opaque, decreasing its polymer chaining ability, and possibly absorb some detrimental chemistry if it does not eat even a little of the container. https://phys.org/news/2008-11-plastic-additives-leach-medical.html (Edit: the original source location of the study has been removed at U of Alberta, it was published in Science and they are certain to have a copy still. Might be able to answer your question if you can get to the original)

Anything with a 5 in that arrow triangle is made of that material.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Well, it don't get along amicably, how's that.

30 minutes exposure pmma vs polypropylene sheet in open air. Looked at first like it had evaporated like it will in a porcelain well. Maybe some of it did, but it had some effect. This is just from lightly rubbing my finger over it.

After taking the picture, the area was cleaned and polished with a cotton cloth. It shows a change from the surrounding material where the monomer drop was placed.
Something is happening, but I don't have the tools to begin to guess what.

pmma vs.jpg

N

nickate

Reaction score
Thank you JMN!
I have no clue what is made out of polypropylene so I am glad you did--- and even had some?!?!??
That melts my idea right there... lol. Thanks to JMN and DLN again for the information.

I wonder (out loud) if polyethylene is affected adversely???? Hmmmmm.....

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank you JMN!
I have no clue what is made out of polypropylene so I am glad you did--- and even had some?!?!??
That melts my idea right there... lol. Thanks to JMN and DLN again for the information.

I wonder (out loud) if polyethylene is effected adversely???? Hmmmmm.....
Bet you have some too. Plastic three ring binder sheet protectors and baseball/trading card sheets for 3 ring binders are both usually made from it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i just wonder why the question about polypropelene?
glycol?
this thread created too many questions and answers too few!

N

nickate

Reaction score
I was trying something with monomer (hold my beer) not dental related.... No secret sauces here.... JMN poo poo'd it.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
IMHO, monomer does not attack polypropylene under conditions normally encountered in the dental laboratory. Your experience may vary, and a chat with the manufacturer's technical support is never a bad idea.