DME and STL file Questions for Scanbodies. HELP!

gp2prostho

gp2prostho

Reaction score
hi all- was curious if anyone knew how the STL files generated from scanning a scan body is actually paired together with the DME files in the implant library? Is it through surface matching? point to point? point to plane?

it seems like this is an incredibly important step in generating an accurate position of the implant, but i have no idea how it actually happens.

im a prosth resident, and not a technician, so unfortunately i don't see things on the back end in exocad or 3shape lab software. any screenshots or feedback would be awesome and much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

ryan

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The DME's contain reference data of the respective scan abutment(s) either in STL or DCM format, these are computer generated. I'm not quite sure what algorithm is used to match the scan data to the reference, I would think is surface matching from 3d features, it seems that every software developer got their own..either prompting the user to provide matching surface points or a pivotal point to speed up the process, because it's compute-intensive. There are a few publications online regarding this subject if you look for it.

gp2prostho

gp2prostho

Reaction score
The DME's contain reference data of the respective scan abutment(s) either in STL or DCM format, these are computer generated. I'm not quite sure what algorithm is used to match the scan data to the reference, I would think is surface matching from 3d features, it seems that every software developer got their own..either prompting the user to provide matching surface points or a pivotal point to speed up the process, because it's compute-intensive. There are a few publications online regarding this subject if you look for it.

Thanks so much. I tried to search google as well as our OSU database but didn't come up with much. I have tons of articles on scanner accuracy, and image acquisition but I'm missing some key points on the surface matching between STL and DME files. Do you happen to know of any names or specific publications? Cheers

Top Bottom