• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct mail marketing

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by RaymondWolford, Aug 20, 2015.

1. RaymondWolford

RaymondWolford New Member

Hi! It’s been 6 months since I’ve started my clinic and I’m getting into marketing. So, one of my colleague suggested to ...... where I should be giving offers like free consultation. I’d like to know if anyone been with direct mail advertising?I’d like to know more about it. How good does this work in dentistry? What % response should I expect from this type of marketing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
    2. pdent

pdent Active Member Full Member

We tried direct mail for a couple of months and it was not very successful. We had more response from setting up a table at health fairs and malls, talking to people directly and showing them samples of our work.

3. JohnWilson

JohnWilson Moderator Staff Member Full Member

While the OP is a spammer Direct Mail is not something you can do for a couple of months. Its a commitment to establish a brand. Studies show that for a potential customer to be aware of you, something with your name must be put in front of them a minimum of 3 times to be effective. Marketing and a marketing budget is not something you throw together and use only when your business is slow/down, its called a campaign because we constantly use many different tactics to continue to drive growth and this includes the time when your lab pans are full.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. JKraver
      Tired

JKraver Well-Known Member Full Member

You don't sound like a lab tech, are you trying to market dentistry or lab stuff?

5. skidoc

skidoc Member Full Member

Strange, even the first response seemed like a dentist. I thought I was the only dentist on here!

6. JKraver
      Tired

There are a few of you.

7. sidesh0wb0b
      Sleepy

sidesh0wb0b Well-Known Member Full Member

historically 1-3% return on direct mail. prob closer to the 1% IMHO
      but as John said, its market awareness and brand recognition that you should be seeking if you are doing direct mail.

8. DenLab

DenLab New Member Full Member

Agree with JohnWilson - I do the marketing for an existing lab and it's been very successful. On top of multiple types of marketing, we also do direct mail (post cards and envelopes with materials). I use a tactic where I only send direct mail to dental offices that are in the market for a new lab. Even in that instance, direct mail (post card and envelopes) has produced low results. This is because most of the time, mailed in marketing winds up in the trash before it even makes it to the dentist's desk. But we do it to keep our name in their minds for when we send more advanced marketing or when we contact them again. They will remember our name. It's tedious and expensive but pays off in the end. We have recently even hired two more techs for our 9 person lab to keep up with demand.

9. rkm rdt
      Artistic

rkm rdt Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

I get more results from likes than with licks.

10. BobCDT

BobCDT Well-Known Member Full Member

It depends on the content of the mailer. I think mail is likely one of the least powerful marketing initiatives you can invest in. Today, content marketing is king. This can be achieved for a small fraction of the price of just a single mailer that will likely provide nothing in return. I would suggest a google search for "marketing best practices 2017" and read away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. G&SDentalLab

G&SDentalLab New Member Full Member

How do you find the dentists in the market for a new lab?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. orthoace

orthoace Member Full Member

Hi

How do you know when a Dental office is looking for a new lab, is it if they contact you for prices?

Thanks..

13. JKraver
      Tired

Sometimes, they are just checking the market to see if they have leverage with the lab.