Direct mail marketing

R

RaymondWolford

Reaction score
Hi! It’s been 6 months since I’ve started my clinic and I’m getting into marketing. So, one of my colleague suggested to ...... where I should be giving offers like free consultation. I’d like to know if anyone been with direct mail advertising?I’d like to know more about it. How good does this work in dentistry? What % response should I expect from this type of marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
pdent

pdent

Reaction score
We tried direct mail for a couple of months and it was not very successful. We had more response from setting up a table at health fairs and malls, talking to people directly and showing them samples of our work.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
While the OP is a spammer Direct Mail is not something you can do for a couple of months. Its a commitment to establish a brand. Studies show that for a potential customer to be aware of you, something with your name must be put in front of them a minimum of 3 times to be effective. Marketing and a marketing budget is not something you throw together and use only when your business is slow/down, its called a campaign because we constantly use many different tactics to continue to drive growth and this includes the time when your lab pans are full.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hi! It’s been 6 months since I’ve started my clinic and I’m getting into marketing. So, one of my colleague suggested to try direct mail advertising where I should be giving offers like free consultation. I’d like to know if anyone been with direct mail advertising?I’d like to know more about it. How good does this work in dentistry? What % response should I expect from this type of marketing.

You don't sound like a lab tech, are you trying to market dentistry or lab stuff?

S

skidoc

Reaction score
Strange, even the first response seemed like a dentist. I thought I was the only dentist on here!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
historically 1-3% return on direct mail. prob closer to the 1% IMHO
but as John said, its market awareness and brand recognition that you should be seeking if you are doing direct mail.

D

DenLab

Reaction score
Agree with JohnWilson - I do the marketing for an existing lab and it's been very successful. On top of multiple types of marketing, we also do direct mail (post cards and envelopes with materials). I use a tactic where I only send direct mail to dental offices that are in the market for a new lab. Even in that instance, direct mail (post card and envelopes) has produced low results. This is because most of the time, mailed in marketing winds up in the trash before it even makes it to the dentist's desk. But we do it to keep our name in their minds for when we send more advanced marketing or when we contact them again. They will remember our name. It's tedious and expensive but pays off in the end. We have recently even hired two more techs for our 9 person lab to keep up with demand.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Agree with JohnWilson - I do the marketing for an existing lab and it's been very successful. On top of multiple types of marketing, we also do direct mail (post cards and envelopes with materials). I use a tactic where I only send direct mail to dental offices that are in the market for a new lab. Even in that instance, direct mail (post card and envelopes) has produced low results. This is because most of the time, mailed in marketing winds up in the trash before it even makes it to the dentist's desk. But we do it to keep our name in their minds for when we send more advanced marketing or when we contact them again. They will remember our name. It's tedious and expensive but pays off in the end. We have recently even hired two more techs for our 9 person lab to keep up with demand.
I get more results from likes than with licks.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
It depends on the content of the mailer. I think mail is likely one of the least powerful marketing initiatives you can invest in. Today, content marketing is king. This can be achieved for a small fraction of the price of just a single mailer that will likely provide nothing in return. I would suggest a google search for "marketing best practices 2017" and read away.

G

G&SDentalLab

Reaction score
How do you find the dentists in the market for a new lab?

O

orthoace

Reaction score

Hi

How do you know when a Dental office is looking for a new lab, is it if they contact you for prices?

Thanks..

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hi

How do you know when a Dental office is looking for a new lab, is it if they contact you for prices?

Thanks..
Sometimes, they are just checking the market to see if they have leverage with the lab.

C

Colin001

Reaction score
I have just started a lab and looking for work, do I go in the Dental surgery with a price list or do a mail shot.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I have just started a lab and looking for work, do I go in the Dental surgery with a price list or do a mail shot.
face to face
direct mail will probably net you a result somewhere around .1% return

C

Colin001

Reaction score
Thanks. Just need a reasonable price not too cheap and not too expensive

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Make a presentation out of it, not just dropping off a price list.

My trick, use whatever of it you like:
white 3-ring binder with the see-through front pocket.
take your business card and blow it up to fit at the copy shop.
Print that on heavy cardstock and slide it down the front.

Now put looseleaf scripts, your terms and policies on payment, remakes, etc into the binder with your price list.

Of course if you've already gotten script boks printed this doesn't work as well, but it can still work, just use the inside pocket for the scriptbook if it fits.

If this is your first business, make sure you get all your other ducks in a row. Read e-myth, make a business plan, get legal separation between you and the business, etc. With the differences between the US and UK, I wouldn't know where to start aside from 'ask your solicitor', just wanted to make sure you had looked after those items.

C

Colin001

Reaction score
Make a presentation out of it, not just dropping off a price list.

My trick, use whatever of it you like:
white 3-ring binder with the see-through front pocket.
take your business card and blow it up to fit at the copy shop.
Print that on heavy cardstock and slide it down the front.

Now put looseleaf scripts, your terms and policies on payment, remakes, etc into the binder with your price list.

Of course if you've already gotten script boks printed this doesn't work as well, but it can still work, just use the inside pocket for the scriptbook if it fits.

If this is your first business, make sure you get all your other ducks in a row. Read e-myth, make a business plan, get legal separation between you and the business, etc. With the differences between the US and UK, I wouldn't know where to start aside from 'ask your solicitor', just wanted to make sure you had looked after those items.
Thanks at the mo I am doing freelance work for labs but the margins are very tight so I have to work every day