• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital impression scan

Discussion in 'Fixed' started by JKraver, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JKraver
      Tired

JKraver Well-Known Member Full Member

I have a few questions, I cannot seem to get a good result from scanning the impression. I have a medit identica scanner.
      1. What percentage of cases can you impression scan with good results?
      2. What techniques do you use to improve scan ie. cutting or spraying
      3. Any tips?

2. rkm rdt
      Artistic

rkm rdt Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

pour a model

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bryce Hiller
      Daring

Bryce Hiller Member Full Member

We have a Dental Wings Series 7, which includes an impression scanner. Began utilizing it in conjunction with our 3D printer to print our model work. The impression scanner turned out to be not-so-accurate. It was a complete disaster. Long story short, had to completely restart 20 or so C&B cases.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. CoolHandLuke
      Fiendish

CoolHandLuke Well-Known Member Full Member

lets not go down this road. DW promised the world when they set up their tiny impression box. it was not so well received as they hoped.

5. JKraver
      Tired

My brother insists this is the big labs go, I say models are better.

6. paulg100

paulg100 Well-Known Member Full Member

whats the xy accuracy of your printer? not the minimum spot size but the accuracy? and is it the same across the whole plate? does your printer manufacturer even publish it? what resin are you using, what is your post curing protocol? how is the part supported on the build plate and at what angle, how thick is the part? on and on and on. so many variables its crazy.

Shrinkage with a good class 4 die stone is what.. 0.06%?
      good resin 0.5% with the wind blowing in the right direction and all the stars aligning?

are the "big" labs using a 6 figure $ printer, or a bunch of ****ty form 2's?

last case I see on a printed model was a snoring appliance like a chrome. the lab was sent a stone model. they decided to scan the model, then design digital and print a copy of the model. appliance came back on printed model. didn't go anywhere near the original plaster model.... about sums up 3d printed models for accuracy. best thing is i guess the lab didn't even bother to check it on the plaster model before sending it out.

I'm hoping to print models for diagnostics, maybe some stuff for vacuum formed appliances etc, but crown and bridge work, id forget it for now. betime you work out that it dosent work, your going to risk loosing half your clients.
      or maybe your planning to find a select account whos prepared to go through the problems with you before letting loose on your client base?

7. CoolHandLuke
      Fiendish

CoolHandLuke Well-Known Member Full Member

"Big" labs such as Aurum and Argen are using very expensive printers such as the ones i have described, and small labs who want to play ball think they can get away with a bunch of form2's and compete.

dare to dream.

8. JMN
      Curious

JMN Christian Member Full Member

[​IMG] Questionmark

9. JKraver
      Tired

The plan is to go model less, we do have a form2 and I would possibly print a solid if we had issues. I don't have intention of scanning just to make a model and go traditional.