Die Stone.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
@user name hey bud, just thinking a little off of your main topic. What do you use to trim dies? You may need to get a bur that is designed to cut smoother. Not necessarily a finer bur, but the angles on cutting surface create basically hammer small amounts of stone off at a time. I think meisinger and some of the komet designs cut cleaner than other brands. Also do you have any rattle, or "gravel" in your handpeice. Never heard a word bad about Fuji rock. I always enjoyed resinrock but never trimmed the actual margin of the dies as I only did the rough trim.

;)
image.jpeg

user name

user name

Reaction score
I used to use that Shofu, but as my magnification increased, my bur size reduced.

One thing Im considering that may be a mistake, is drying models in the food dehydrator. Its 160f tops, but maybe that could have an adverse effect? Im pretty sure all chemical reaction has stopped by the time I stick them in there..several hours, so Im just ensuring theyre dry and will cut nice, but who knows.[/QUOTE]

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I used to use that Shofu, but as my magnification increased, my bur size reduced.

One thing Im considering that may be a mistake, is drying models in the food dehydrator. Its 160f tops, but maybe that could have an adverse effect? Im pretty sure all chemical reaction has stopped by the time I stick them in there..several hours, so Im just ensuring theyre dry and will cut nice, but who knows.
How long after they're poured are you trimming?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How long after they're poured are you trimming?

Right after he's done reading the new posts on DLN.
Poor bugger got home late after the farm Animals Friday thread.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I pour everything last thing of the day. Separate from impressions next day, usually just before lunch. Trim and set on a towel till news time, then in the dehydrator for an hour so I can drill and glue pins before I go home.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I pour everything last thing of the day. Separate from impressions next day, usually just before lunch. Trim and set on a towel till news time, then in the dehydrator for an hour so I can drill and glue pins before I go home.
Nothing wrong with that. I can't see the dehydrator having an affect that long after pouring.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

You could pour at the end of the day, then saw, trim, and scan by lunch tomorrow!
image.jpeg

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You could pour at the end of the day, then saw, trim, and scan by lunch tomorrow!
View attachment 25014
Really love those trays. The side dots are a nice touch.
I put marker dots at the pinhole where the pin went in, hard to tell sometimes when Dr would send a bridge which holes were being used.

user name

user name

Reaction score
View attachment 25014
Questions: You do that in one pour, so you have to rely on the triple tray bite being correct? Those are limited to only triple tray technique? What are you using on your models that gives them a gloss, and doesn't that make scanning tough?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
you can adjust the bite with a torch/bunsen

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Questions: You do that in one pour, so you have to rely on the triple tray bite being correct? Those are limited to only triple tray technique? What are you using on your models that gives them a gloss, and doesn't that make scanning tough?
you can adjust the bite with a torch/bunsen

I have hada few that I had to remount the opp, but it was rather quick, just pulled it off, realign,sticky wax and a little
stone and all done.
The shine is Future after cad is finished. Nice catch.
Haven't tried separately, might be a hassle since I found better dowel alignment by pouring the opp first so I can see
the nurrles .
Dindnt have good luck trying the torch method. Maybe just me.
Here's one I remounted.
image.jpeg

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
There is a type that you can use on two independant full arch impressions, I didn't care much for it, but I was spoiled bad by the Artimax system.

Artimax flaming is a tad technique sensitive, you have to slowly heat it so it doesn't bubble, and hold it firmly when it cools or it will thermal-contract/memory-distort from your intended bite.

If you want the name of that other system, I'll make a call to someone with a better memory and see if they remember it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Much appreciate all the tips, but Im not sold on that type of articulator. Not that's its flawed, Im just resistant to change.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Much appreciate all the tips, but Im not sold on that type of articulator. Not that's its flawed, Im just resistant to change.
...when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Me too. Change destroys all the patterns and safety habits.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Have you noticed issue with trimming them without using dehydrator? Maybe the minimal amount of water would help it cut better?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Have you noticed issue with trimming them without using dehydrator? Maybe the minimal amount of water would help it cut better?
I haven't noticed a difference there. I was thinking by using the dehydrator I was maybe robbing the stone of time that it needs. Stuff should be fully cured and hard after 24 hours I would think, but models that have sat another day seem to trim nicer. Ive just stopped using so much magnification. A die that is dry and trims very nice under normal conditions still looks crumbly and moist or sticky with too much magnification.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a difference there. I was thinking by using the dehydrator I was maybe robbing the stone of time that it needs. Stuff should be fully cured and hard after 24 hours I would think, but models that have sat another day seem to trim nicer. Ive just stopped using so much magnification. A die that is dry and trims very nice under normal conditions still looks crumbly and moist or sticky with too much magnification.
Most of our stones need around 3 days to set at full reported/claimed strength and hardness. Some of them are nice enough that they'll actually admit this.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Most of our stones need around 3 days to set at full reported/claimed strength and hardness. Some of them are nice enough that they'll actually admit this.
I read 48hrs mostly.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Microwave oven !! low power, aprox 150 watts... beta test for several minutes :D

I place invested rings in micro @ 30% power for 1:45 seconds under paper towel.
Very little burnout smell in your lab since most of the wax has melted out..
No cracking of investment..... scary but it works if you use correct power ;)