Die Stone.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I know theres probably many reasons to not do what Im doing...

I mix New Fuji Rock and Die Keen. Bucket in the middle, box on each side...scoop of one, then the other, over and over. Then a long paddle in the drill and thoroughly mix it up.

In my mind Im averaging the properties of both. Fuji contributes more hardness; Die Keen by it self doesn't trim that nice under the microscope. I like the added expansion from the die keen; by itself its too much. Blah blah.

Im just curious what everyone else is using and why.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

I mix New Fuji Rock and Die Keen. Bucket in the middle, box on each side...scoop of one, then the other, over and over. Then a long paddle in the drill and thoroughly mix it up.

In my mind Im averaging the properties of both. Fuji contributes more hardness; Die Keen by it self doesn't trim that nice under the microscope. I like the added expansion from the die keen; by itself its too much. Blah blah.

I use Fuji rock, because I have my fits and techniques worked out with it.
Mixing two stones? How do you know you have a consistent mix and every batch is the same? You are adding a variable that would be hard
to troubleshoot when it bites you on the a$$.
Find a stone that has the properties you are looking for.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I use Die Keen, I don't like the idea of mixing stones. Maybe try an additive instead? Dr. Smooth Stone or something similar?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I use Fuji rock, because I have my fits and techniques worked out with it.
Mixing two stones? How do you know you have a consistent mix and every batch is the same? You are adding a variable that would be hard
to troubleshoot when it bites you on the a$$.
Find a stone that has the properties you are looking for.
50 lbs of each and I mix it. Its not just stirred. I mix. Very mixed.

I know mfrgs have specs about expansion, and hardness, etc, but I know it varies. Maybe not all brands are created equal, but I know how some get their start. Basically a silo where gypsum is ground and there are levels where the dust settles. The finer powder makes it to a higher shelf. Like a sifter. The stuff ships in 100lb paper bags and then its colored and repackaged.

I use Die Keen, I don't like the idea of mixing stones. Maybe try an additive instead? Dr. Smooth Stone or something similar?

I forgot to ask about hardeners. Ive never used them, so tips there are cool too.

I haven't heard or seen anything about Hi-Tech in Greenback Tennessee for a long time. Anyone using them?

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
I use polyrez. Not much to say about it. It does the job. Blue. Smells nice..

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
I know mfrgs have specs about expansion, and hardness, etc, but I know it varies. Maybe not all brands are created equal, but I know how some get their start. Basically a silo where gypsum is ground and there are levels where the dust settles. The finer powder makes it to a higher shelf. Like a sifter. The stuff ships in 100lb paper bags and then its colored and repackaged.

For regular plaster yes, but that's not how die stones work. There are many different types of gypsum and many different additives. Different bases, accelerants, retarders, etc, etc.

And for FujiRock it is completely different as it is synthetic. These types of materials can come from flue gas desulfurization that takes place at coal power plants or can come from the byproducts of other processes.

Much more complicated than just mixing some colors into a 100 lb bag.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Why use regular plaster for die stone?

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Why use regular plaster for die stone?

I'm saying that regular dental plaster is just pottery plaster but die stones are not the same as plaster. Different bases.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm saying that regular dental plaster is just pottery plaster but die stones are not the same as plaster. Different bases.
This is CRob. I hacked 2th's account. He'll be surprised.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
A lot of hacking and impersonation going on here :)

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
This is CRob. I hacked 2th's account. He'll be surprised.

23929434.jpg

user name

user name

Reaction score
For regular plaster yes, but that's not how die stones work. There are many different types of gypsum and many different additives. Different bases, accelerants, retarders, etc, etc.

And for FujiRock it is completely different as it is synthetic. These types of materials can come from flue gas desulfurization that takes place at coal power plants or can come from the byproducts of other processes.

Much more complicated than just mixing some colors into a 100 lb bag.
Umm...according to their MSDS, its plaster of paris. Just gypsum.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

PrimaRock here. It works for me, .13 expn. 17K psi. Nice ivory color.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I've mixed die stones in the past to get what I was looking for. I had even mixed Modern Materials peach die stone with with Fuji rock Ivory, to get a tooth colored model to work on for diagnostic wax ups.

I had tried some of the stuff from Hi-Tech, but wasn't overly impressed. It was a little to brittle for me. I'm thinking of switching to ETI Tan die stone (18,000 dry comp strength / .07 expansion),as it seems to be more durable, less chippy, than the Whip Mix UltiRock I'm now using (11,000 dry comp strength / .07% expansion).

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
For die stone I have never never ever found something to beat Begostone. It's not cheap at ~100usd for 18kg, but
it's mixing consistancy, batch to batch cons8stancy, working time, wirkin properties and especially plasticine state period duration are all untouchable, unattainable, all totether in any other product.

Modern Materials for lab plaster, their buffstone for denture models, bases, and opposings.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive used Die Keen for ever, but its too much expansion for big implant cases. I tried the New Fuji, and it was ok, but I think the combo of the two is pretty nice...except when Im trimming dies. Under normal magnification, which for me is wearing loups looking through a magnifier. But lately ive been getting more critical and working through the microscope, and at that level, nothing seems dry and sharp. I want as clean a cut as I can get.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ive used Die Keen for ever, but its too much expansion for big implant cases. I tried the New Fuji, and it was ok, but I think the combo of the two is pretty nice...except when Im trimming dies. Under normal magnification, which for me is wearing loups looking through a magnifier. But lately ive been getting more critical and working through the microscope, and at that level, nothing seems dry and sharp. I want as clean a cut as I can get.
I'f4 never licked the way thr resin added stine work. Always feeks like it's chipping atmaterial inco4poration boundaries nstead of cutting. Oh the begostone id .08% expansiton, used it on implant cases large, larger and small singles to full mouth.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I'f4 never licked the way thr resin added stine work. Always feeks like it's chipping atmaterial inco4poration boundaries nstead of cutting. Oh the begostone id .08% expansiton, used it on implant cases large, larger and small singles to full mouth.
Jeez Louise. You hit the sauce hard or what? I struggle with English a bit, but that's more what id expect to translate coming from one of the flying saucer folk.

user name

user name

Reaction score
JMN..please don't take that personal.