Diagnostics Du Jour

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
With photos and other visual aids, I scan the preop situation model and make my alterations with editing tools in the software to the virtual model..
How do you do that?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Scan the preop as the jaw scan. Import it also as a preop. Free form the scan data on the jaw scan to make virtual preps. Use the preop overlay as a guide to make adjustments to the incisal length if needed etc. Save the virtually prepped model as stl as well as the altered 'wax up' model and start a new job.

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Here's what the milled wax result is. Came pretty stinkin good! Only adjusted a few spots on one quadrant to get better equilibration.
It's clearly not as defined as hand waxed and I could have spent some time separating teeth better but fed a time saver with a good usable result.
I milled this in bridges. Three upper and three lower.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's pretty darn good.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Here's what the milled wax result is. Came pretty stinkin good! Only adjusted a few spots on one quadrant to get better equilibration.
It's clearly not as defined as hand waxed and I could have spent some time separating teeth better but fed a time saver with a good usable result.
I milled this in bridges. Three upper and three lower.
View attachment 18212 View attachment 18213 View attachment 18214 View attachment 18215 View attachment 18216

Did you prep the models or use a provisional module?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
could just mill the same file in pmma, no need to change orders unless you intend to use the 3shape order form as a prescript.

could also use the same file and dupe model to create a suckdown but that's a lot of waste materials.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
since handmade is obviously better,why don't you get a plastic tray and mix some alginate and then ....never mind.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
since handmade is obviously better,why don't you get a plastic tray and mix some alginate and then ....never mind.
Hey, I just heard of this amazing new doohickey that takes pictures of teeth and then you can use a computator to make a crown! I think you may like something like that!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Hey, I just heard of this amazing new doohickey that takes pictures of teeth and then you can use a computator to make a crown! I think you may like something like that!

th

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So how do I charge for this? Doc sends no instructions for the diagnostic. So I lengthen 1-1.5 mm. He sends it back and wants me to add another 2mm, which I can understand but without this knowledge I'm to concerned if that would be ok when I originally did it.
Gray dwax lengthen1.jpg Gray dwax lengthen2.jpg

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
IMO, charge that stuff by the hour. For DX cases without any rx it input, at least double your hourly rate.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So you have an hrly fee on your invoices? What type of cases does it apply to?
@2thm8kr

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I tend to charge by time and difficulty. I have about 3 fees, depending if I'm doing heavier designing and creating pontics in edentulous spaces, or just adding onto lower Inc edges.

I think what throws this case off is the ging tissue on the centrals, as the length to width ratio is off. If the ging tissue was correct, it would look better. I think he's seeing the wide central and wants them to look longer to get the more pleasing length to width proportion. The lats and cuspids look pretty good. I would be inclined to call him and see if a little tissue "surgery" would be more helpful, and maybe just increase the length by ~1mm?

I don't know if I would charge him, as you will be getting the restorative $$ case, and maybe just a call about any observations and concerns.

Last edited: