Designing a Restoration: Free and Open Source

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Auto Snap to Margin

I wrote this script myself!

The crown form has been roughly draged, scaled and rotated into place. Then I trim off the remainder to help my script out. Then boom! It snaps it to the margin.

YouTube - auto snap to margin.wmv

Oh and I will use some pieces of this code to create contacts too :)

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Dental Design Tools for Blender

Now that I have some rough scripts, time to get them user friendly and into blender. If you watch this video, you can see in the panel at the right "Dental Design Tools." Right now all I have done is put my margin snapping tool in. But now instead of having some randome text editor open and making it run, i hvae my own button in the blender menus. More to come in between studying for boards!

YouTube - Dental Design Tools.wmv
Module.jpg

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Bite Registration

Just a quick video (3 mins) showing how you can register two 3d models together with MeshLab. It's quick, easy and free!

YouTube - Image Registration

Could be used for all the normal stuff...

Image stitching (multiple scans one model)
CT scan Data + Intraoral or Model Scan for implant/crown planning
Opposing Arches + Bite Registration
Scan in an old Denture + Model Scan then register them (virtual pickup impression)...does anyone do that yet?

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Pat, this is cool stuff!!

I converted one file, but another gave me a hrd time.

I will try again, but I think you should try to upload it again?

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
uploaded again! The first time I exported it before the software had built the model....doh! The other one looks awesome.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Can your free software do buccal bite?

I just wanted to log a little progress. First, big thanks to Scott for getting me some good academic quality models to run this test.

If you saw my previous image registration video, the method is the same, but now it's with 3 individual models and not one model which I artificially split into two.

5 minutes long, 3 minutes of it are worth it....or you can just view the attached image for the results w/o seeing the process.

YouTube - buccal bite registration (make sure you watch in HD as the textures are important to see).
buccal bite stlSnap00.jpg

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Articulating Paper

This video shows marking the contacts of two meshes in MIP...kind of an adjunct to virtual articulation. Fast-forward to the end to see the result.

YouTube - Virtual Articulating Paper

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Cement Gap, Copings, Minimum Thickness

I took my NBDE pt 1 yesterday so I now have some more time to play around :D (as if I wan't spending enough time already)

Here I show how to use the "shrink wrap" tool to make a cement gap or to visualize a minimum thickness bubble.

The same tool/principle can also be used for establishing contacts, making a coping or blocking out undercuts....

YouTube - Cement Gap and Material Thickness

-Patrick

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
This begins the wrap up of this thread. Today I officially finished the first iteration of packaging up and streamlining the process of making a crown in Blender. I customized parts of Blender's UI, changed the color scheme so it looks better and have the whole design process as user friendly (relative term) as possible. I think I could make a restoration in 7-10 minutes depending on how much coffee I have had and whether or not my computer ate it's Weaties. Here is a 6 part tutorial (20 minutes in total) which explains all the steps. Thumbnails attached for those who would rather not waste that much time! Any feedback would be much appreciated. It's probably 2 weeks away from me being able to give it to anyone to try out, but let me know if you are interested. It could be a nice free way to see what a digital workflow might be like.

YouTube - Dental Add On pt1: Intro to Interface

YouTube - Dental Add On pt2: Importing Models

YouTube - Dental Add On pt3: Insertion Axis

YouTube - Dental Add On pt4: Inside and Cement Gap

YouTube - Dental Add On pt 5: Margins

YouTube - Dental Add On pt6: Designing the Crown
overall layout.jpg Margin finding.jpg Cement Gap.jpg marginal seal.jpg 4 views final product.jpg

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
Wow! You did get engrossed in this project. Very cool, thank you for sharing all of you steps along the way. I would love to see this when it is ready.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Exciting Update!

Had two spur of the moment brainstorms. Both took 0 extra effort to implement but I think are really really really excellent features.

1. Cross section view to look at clearance
2. Dynamic establishment of marginal fit.

I already had that implemented for the occlusion (and later the contacts),why not the margin! As long as you dont move it too much, it maintains the contours pretty well.

check it out. 45 sec video

YouTube - Dynamic Tooth Modification

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty neat feature, sure would help if you had any questions about an axial wall being too thin or a bulky prep.....oh wait, we don't ever have to deal with that right? :p

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Had two spur of the moment brainstorms. Both took 0 extra effort to implement but I think are really really really excellent features.

1. Cross section view to look at clearance
2. Dynamic establishment of marginal fit.

I already had that implemented for the occlusion (and later the contacts),why not the margin! As long as you dont move it too much, it maintains the contours pretty well.

check it out. 45 sec video

YouTube - Dynamic Tooth Modification

Pat, thats pretty cool.,,,I mean awesome.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
That's a pretty neat feature, sure would help if you had any questions about an axial wall being too thin or a bulky prep.....oh wait, we don't ever have to deal with that right? :p

neeeever :) And, as people have talked about here, nothing gets a Dr. more aware of their reduction and prep quality than putting a 3d image of their prep on a 17" screen in front of their face! I think 3d imaging and CAD/CAM could really really up the quality of new grad operative/fixed skills.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This is 10x better than some of the first Dental CAD programs I paid for LOL

You said you were in school to be a Doc huh?

Me thinks you got into the wrong field.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
It's Done!

The add on is all finished up and I've gone through quite a few different scans with no errors and without crashing my computer...which means I think my software is technically in the "beta" phase now. If you want to "beta test" it, I've tossed together a quick website to make a central point of information.

https://sites.google.com/site/blenderdental/

Shoot me a PM if interested or go on the site, fill out the form and we can go from there. I'll be making some tutorials and providing some step by step example files as we go along. If anyone wants to send me an actual scan, let me design a restoration, and then print/mill with some old material to see if it fits, I'd be really pumped. Since that was the ultimate goal of my project, that would allow me to put this one to bed.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Onlay Prep

Designed an onlay to see how it handled it since I've only done full crowns up until this point. I had to sculpt a lot to get it where I wanted but everything worked fine. This prep has pretty bad data down inter-proximally, interesting "resistance form" and kind of a bevel on the vertical margins. Had the kavo angles been better, I think this one would have turned out better because to get smooth contours, I had to create a feathered fin of would be ceramic. My dental anatomy could have been a little bette toor...but, the software performed as expected.
Buccal Contour.jpg funky margin.jpg quad view.jpg Occlusal.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
WOW! this is sweet Pat. How about a cut back, maybe in Beta?

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I am sooo lost. What a cad/cam ignorant I am. I was hoping to dodge the bullet and retire before learning this, but it catches up too fast. Now I feel like I missed the boat by decades. There is so much on the market, that I don't even know where to start looking. I also don't have the finances available for an expensive system and am just a small lab that such a large investment would not make any sense at the moment. I just would like to keep in the loop, but maybe if I wait long enough all the competitiors have eliminated each other and there will be only a few systems left to choose from.

Top Bottom