Denture Tolerances

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I know in fixed, micron tolerances are bandied about, but are they where dentures are concerned? Of course the more accurate the better, but are are numerical values ever given to the process?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I have not seen them in a while, but Ivoclair used to have them in their presentation. I remember Swisident having the figures, and of course the accuracy is important with any overdenture/attachment case. For the overdenture the expansion of the acrylic is important. Mostly U will see compressive strength or flexoral limits, these generally used to compare for fracture. I would like to see figures for color stability, but then that is subjective & dependent on the products used on a denture.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It touches flexible soft tissue. Hard to even measure, and hard to get accurate impression for some Dentites.

+/- 300um?? Just a guess?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Big difference between complete or RPD. Complete dentures have to do with difference between
wax stage and processed, polymerization shrinkage. Trying to measure adaptation to soft tiss
itself would be difficult task, easy to measure gap to a cast, and how much teeth shifts in
the processed denture. Who is asking for this? CAD-CAM denture comparisons? They come
with who different set of issues I won't be able to address.
LCM

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Big difference between complete or RPD. Complete dentures have to do with difference between
wax stage and processed, polymerization shrinkage. Trying to measure adaptation to soft tiss
itself would be difficult task, easy to measure gap to a cast, and how much teeth shifts in
the processed denture. Who is asking for this? CAD-CAM denture comparisons? They come
with who different set of issues I won't be able to address.
LCM

I am trying to figure out what would be acceptable milling machine tolerances.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I would say that in general peoples soft tissues will swell up and shrink down far more than reasonable CAD/CAM tolerances would be for the soft-tissue bearing surface to denture space would be. Injection dentures are more accurate than compression packed, but I'm not sure if the difference has been demonstrated to be clinically significant.

corona

corona

Reaction score
how do you measure tolerances on an edelutious patient where there is hard and soft tissue remodeling happening all the time ??? I am a C&B guy so i might just know enough to get me in trouble . corona

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I would say that in general peoples soft tissues will swell up and shrink down far more than reasonable CAD/CAM tolerances would be for the soft-tissue bearing surface to denture space would be. Injection dentures are more accurate than compression packed, but I'm not sure if the difference has been demonstrated to be clinically significant.
I am thinking that injection may lower the number of post insertion adjustments of course all other things being equal.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I am thinking that injection may lower the number of post insertion adjustments of course all other things being equal.
I'd say that it can only lower the pre-insertion adjustments, but will help with the clinical stage and post-insertion accuracy. It is only a technical control, and the patient produces the unknown factors in function. JMO.