Denture Boil Out tanks...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have been waiting for my Coe Boilout Washout and Curing station to take a dump so I can get this Wasserman unit. I have had it for over 25 years moved it to 3 different lab locations, welded the bottom of the stainless steel curing tank from a pin hole leak where the pilot light was. The thing just won't die.

I normally buy the best piece of equipment available and if I can not afford it I save for it. There are a handful of large items I have had nearly my entire career and while they are starting to cosmetically show their age they still work great.

What I wonder about is all the new digital stuff we buy today, the mechanical stuff seems to not have the same issues the electronics may have and honestly I wonder the true lifespan on the new stuff being sold today.

Truth is I think I will be retired before it matters and it sure is nice to work with top notch equipment.

1800 units Danny is super impressive in the short time the new unit has been out!!! Just think about where all that stone/plaster is in the land fill :)

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
XxJamesAxX,

Yes, the new Wasserman is similar to the older Kavos. Except for, all digital, different style of sensors that work very well.
Yes, I do clean around the teeth & partial frames with a steamer / just part as protocol.
Does the unit clean itself? Yes and no. Removes wax continuously, but does have to have water changed and fully
cleaned once per month. That is the schedule I follow. Follow that, the unit look like new for years.

[/I]

Gotcha, we will most likely be buying the snowrockusa injection system this year and am considering getting there boilout the Jet Wash Pro. My love/hate with it is giving up steaming the teeth. I never have any fear of teeth not being clean with our current methods and completely trusting the boilout to do as good of job as we can do by hand with a steamer is scary. On the other hand i know i can open the flask and steam them but then why do i need a 15k boilout tank if im gonna do the same process i already am? Decisions.... Decisions....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I invite you to explain the difference between hot water made and kept hot by a $5k-$30k tripple faucet sink or kavo style boilout/washout (which is a mildly reengineered commercial dishwasher) and a hanau curing unit VS a temperature controlled water bath in a fry daddy with a temp knob.

Temp controlled hot water is temp controlled hot water. When did you last verify the temps on your equipment? I suggest my processing has the chance to be perfect on times and temps with great frequency as both are monitored by me on every case, and I don't need calibration.

Some drive to work in a Kia, some in a Mercedes. You are correct both get to work the same. I'm a Malibu guy myself. I will spend money where it's justified to me, but have personally worked very hard at training myself to really justify my purchases. I don't knock anyone else for how they spend THERE money. But yes when it comes down to it. Boiling out a flask is just not that complicated. 3,327 units last year in my lab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Gotcha, we will most likely be buying the snowrockusa injection system this year and am considering getting there boilout the Jet Wash Pro. My love/hate with it is giving up steaming the teeth. I never have any fear of teeth not being clean with our current methods and completely trusting the boilout to do as good of job as we can do by hand with a steamer is scary. On the other hand i know i can open the flask and steam them but then why do i need a 15k boilout tank if im gonna do the same process i already am? Decisions.... Decisions....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happen to view that system at Lab Day. Wasn't really impressed. Prefer not to use a wrench to assemble/
disassemble the flask. Then its their own system of the flask to the boil-out cleaning 6 at a time. Many
pressure hoses (future leaks). Seem to be a bit more complicated, more parts / more problems.
Due to you processing over 3,000 units a year, I believe this may slow you down a bit. Time is money.
FYI, purchased the Wasserman EX-12 from Nowak shipped to my front door for $7,000 two years ago.
Wish you the best!

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Thanks for the price info appreciate it.

We checked the boilout last year at lab day also and your right there is a lot going on. Seems really well built though. I don't mind the bolt together flask we do that already with flexibles, and actually only being able to do six at a time doesn't bother me. We are not that high production, if we had to run 2 - 3 cycles a day no big deal very small part of it. What I don't like about it is there is no real way to accommodate other flask types in the boil out, which means I would still be using my current method some. That I don't like at all.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
JMN,

If you prefer to have a fry daddy, that's your choice. Hot water is hot water...

FYI...Patients are now more aware of whats happening in the lab business today more to day than 30 years ago.
I welcome any patient into our lab any day of the week. Myself, I would rather explain to a doctor /patient
of how a Wasserman removes wax over a fry daddy, or a turkey roaster to cure them in.
Also as for calibration, all digital. Automatically due to time / date settings hot water when I arrive at
the lab, shuts down at 4pm everyday. As far as calibration, its either working or its not. The same with
our Ivobase machines. Having six that have totally processed over 1800 cases, no issues yet.

Sorry for the slight hijack everyone

I'd prefer to have a setup like yours. Very much so. It's quite nice. At this point it's also quite unaffordable.

I started this 9 months ago effectively in a spare closet when my boss left town and I loved the industry enough to toss everything I have into it so I didn't have to change carrers. Now I'm in a more proper setting, and things continue to improve and expand, albeit slowly.

I respond since it seems you equated equipment cost with better patient care. Which if it were true the Cerac docs would all be making fantastic crowns instead of fantasy crowns.

I am glad we can talk like this amongst each other without animosity and vitriol. Most internet boards degenerate very rapidly into unimaginative name calling.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Some drive to work in a Kia, some in a Mercedes. You are correct both get to work the same. I'm a Malibu guy myself. I will spend money where it's justified to me, but have personally worked very hard at training myself to really justify my purchases. I don't knock anyone else for how they spend THERE money. But yes when it comes down to it. Boiling out a flask is just not that complicated. 3,327 units last year in my lab.

That's better than 10/day! Nice! I'm the same. Research and preplan for months when I can.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
I can explain the difference in some pumps--- a boilout pump made for the OFFICIAL Coe boilout unit with the 4 spigots has a brass housing and impeller vs. cast iron for the non dental use...( I had to replace mine) I don't know or really care what Dayton uses...as I agree hot water is hot water... I feel a lot more professionial when using professional equipment to perform my daily tasks. Kinda like dressing up vs. stretchie pants when going out....gobble gobble.:) When I have a Dr. visit -- it looks charp.... and I like that.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ya, I hear you about the it looks much nicer when Drs visit. That setup looked clean and maintained. A Dr. cares way more about cleanliness and organization than the brand name on the equipment. Besides if they are that curious about it. They say what is that and you tell them that is a 12000 dollar boil out tank. They look at you cross and you say that I made for 200 bucks. They high five you and move onto whatever they case they came over for.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Or you say I was thinking of raising my prices to pay for a nicer boil out tank and watch how fast he goes equipment blind.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ya, I hear you about the it looks much nicer when Drs visit. That setup looked clean and maintained. A Dr. cares way more about cleanliness and organization than the brand name on the equipment. Besides if they are that curious about it. They say what is that and you tell them that is a 12000 dollar boil out tank. They look at you cross and you say that I made for 200 bucks. They high five you and move onto whatever they case they came over for.
The high five was exactly what I got (verbally) with both a visiting doc and the 2 who asked specifically how I cured. Both asking docs were previous customers of a local jackleg who would bench cure selfcure pmma for everything he did. No pressure pot, no hot water curing.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Bench cured self cure wow, even high quality self cure wouldn't be very good. That's some backwater Appalachian mountain denture stuff right there.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The fact they used him more than once says more about the drs than that shi tty tech

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I almost forgot about the pictures, here is a few more.

4d0983a003feb66f3cfb8edadf3b9b4a.jpg

b0ab284886126a875b2595c76ecf4d71.jpg

I know no one asked but since we are sorted on the topic here is our curing unit, this is my 2nd unit in soon to be 9 years first one came from Keystone then I realized it was exactly the same as this one that came from KitchenKrafts.com Keystone cost me like $450 and this one like $250. Put a 24hr timer on it and there you go. Between the 2 id estimate they've cured well over 10,000 units just fine for me.

acb614f2025aef357a997068105ea4d6.jpg

I post this in attempt to show you can still try to do things right without spending lots of money, everyone's idea of what's right is not always the same, and it doesn't always mean spending more money. We all can use good manufacturing practices with what we have to work with. Some just have more then others and that's ok to....

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I can explain the difference in some pumps--- a boilout pump made for the OFFICIAL Coe boilout unit with the 4 spigots has a brass housing and impeller vs. cast iron for the non dental use...( I had to replace mine) I don't know or really care what Dayton uses...as I agree hot water is hot water... I feel a lot more professionial when using professional equipment to perform my daily tasks. Kinda like dressing up vs. stretchie pants when going out....gobble gobble.:) When I have a Dr. visit -- it looks charp.... and I like that.

I know you don't care but someone might, all brass....

f08813e022a2f8ae346e29f678fa8f47.jpg

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
And yes I to welcome anyone into our lab anytime, here is our processing room as of today. I've always thought it's not as much about what you have but how you take care of it...

d91560477dee5a2fa32579bd81a917ce.jpg

41085b84f5522e852890c40db0069f9f.jpg

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I got the same one from keystone.

D

dborla01

Reaction score
This is all very interesting. I worked in a full service lab back in the 70's that used traditional methods of processing, and they produced incredibly beautiful, functional dentures and partials for over a hundred acct.'s. Their crown and bridge dept. was a whole other story. Before that experience and after, I never experienced quality-control that came even close. This lab ruled by authoritarianism, not by rules of conduct that would be acceptable in today's society.
Due to the economic push, lab managers usually accepted a certain amt. of "slop" in the system. I believe, until I hear evidence to the contrary, that not much has changed, regardless of how much technology is thrown at it, and how much hype the dental media tries to throw at us, portraying new technologies to make it easier and more predictable....at least in the removable domain. Just my 2 cents worth and quite subjective...lol Darrell.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
This is all very interesting. I worked in a full service lab back in the 70's that used traditional methods of processing, and they produced incredibly beautiful, functional dentures and partials for over a hundred acct.'s. Their crown and bridge dept. was a whole other story. Before that experience and after, I never experienced quality-control that came even close. This lab ruled by authoritarianism, not by rules of conduct that would be acceptable in today's society.
Due to the economic push, lab managers usually accepted a certain amt. of "slop" in the system. I believe, until I hear evidence to the contrary, that not much has changed, regardless of how much technology is thrown at it, and how much hype the dental media tries to throw at us, portraying new technologies to make it easier and more predictable....at least in the removable domain. Just my 2 cents worth and quite subjective...lol Darrell.
I would also like to point out that owning the cool toys doesn't automatically convey mad skills along with it.

We've all suffered the doctor who thinks that panadent and Gothic arch they dropped big buckolas on somehow make up for the fact that they still don't grasp how to establish VDO or properly mount the models.
The toys can't do for you what you can't already do.