DENTAL WINGS 7 SERIES SCANNER

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these?

Please let me know the good the bad and the ugly...doing a research project.

Also if you are using DWOS

Thanks !
Terry

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
I've had one since last November. I like it enough but I was coming from an old Scheutz scanner and milling machine that was behind in technology compared to... anything current. I see a lot of hate for DWOS on this site though and I'm not sure what it's based on.

I

ITMGR

Reaction score
I have been supporting DW for around 8 years now. I think it is a pretty good system, however it is not as user friendly as 3Shape. If you are doing more copings than full contour, I would say DW is the way to go, just because of the scanning speed. When it comes to FC I would say 3Shape takes it because of the ease of use. DW has a multdie plate that can hold 30 copings at a time and multiple orders vs 3Shape 6 units same case multidie plate. I also think DW software as of late is getting better and 3Shape has had rough year with 2015.

I

ITMGR

Reaction score
When it comes to implants, 3Shape is up on Dental Wings, because of DW's relationship with Straumann. Most of the industry has focus on 3Shape as the trend and the major Implant companies have come out with material files for 3Shape which has left DW trying to catch up.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I don't have a DW scanner but I do use the DWOS via Straumann and the CS2. Would prefer a new scanner but I've been spending that money on other things.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I have a Dental Wings 5 series . Great hardware , awful software . I would advice you to look at something else .

R

Radu

Reaction score
I don't have a DW but all friends that have one say it is really really bad software. 3 series is slow as hell...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Thanks to all..very interesting comments..I have been watching Dental Wings for many years and it seems the software is being improved.

Im interested that the scanner still uses a laser... while everyone else is going striped light, even 3 shape.

A

Alge

Reaction score
Any other Dental Wings users? I would like to know how open are they regarding exporting/importing stl files from third partys. Do they apply any fees for these actions?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Any other Dental Wings users? I would like to know how open are they regarding exporting/importing stl files from third partys. Do they apply any fees for these actions?

There are no fees. You can import and export freely. I don't have the new DW 7 Series, but I have seen it in action...much faster. I still don't like the fact that you have to close a door on it. It's still not that user friendly when compared to the ones without a door where you can actually see what's happening as a scan is being done. I still have the CS2. Argh

A

Alge

Reaction score
There are no fees. You can import and export freely. I don't have the new DW 7 Series, but I have seen it in action...much faster. I still don't like the fact that you have to close a door on it. It's still not that user friendly when compared to the ones without a door where you can actually see what's happening as a scan is being done. I still have the CS2. Argh

Thank you, PDC! So they only charge when you buy the software and are there any annual fees after? For updates or so?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Thank you, PDC! So they only charge when you buy the software and are there any annual fees after? For updates or so?

Updates are included in the licensing fee of $1900/yr. The first year of licensing is usually included with your purchase. As with 3Shape, if you don't pay your licensing fee, you don't get to use the scanner anymore. This doesn't happen with the Exocad users.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
. This doesn't happen with the Exocad users.

But unless you want to stay in the stone age, you will want the software upgrades exocad releases every year. They make your life easier and more efficient.

J

JemsCalagan

Reaction score
Hi, I m also newbie in cad solutions and looking for dental lab scanner. My boss is looking for 7series from DW. I tried to find informations about scanning process but the only thing i found is 30 element at the same time, nothing about the process or time duration.
I'm working for a dentist in office. Only one dentist with 2 assist an one technician (me),around 60 crowns per month. Don't you think 7series is too big for us? what is the big differences between 7 and 3 series? Is the DW the best solution for us over 3shape or identica Hybrid-exocad?
Thanks a lot.

M

Morave

Reaction score
Hi, I had to work with DW platform for 5 long years. My boss just recently threw the DW3 unit out the window (hope there was nobody down there) and got Medit Blue with Exocad. You wouldn't believe how easier my life is now. The DWOS software is just no match. If your boss is willing to pay for DW7, he'll get much better value for his money with some exocad based setup. Unless he gets the DW7 super cheap and even then I wouldn't say it's really worth it... As for scanning times, I believe latest DW7 takes about 80 seconds to scan an arch. Yes, it has 30 slots on multidie, but it scans the dies one by one. Still uses one single laser line to read the surface. You can make and drink several coffees in a row during the scanning phase. I had a chance to play with DW7 before making a switch to a different platform, just to see if an upgrade to a newer unit would make sense. After a few minutes I was sure it wouldn't. DWOS version 6 didn't make an impression either. As for the DW7/DW3 difference, there's not much there. DW7 isn't really that much faster than DW3 and the value of the huge multidie is questionable.
I can get better results in a shorter period of time with Exo now.
Long story short: don't recommend.

J

JemsCalagan

Reaction score
Wow, that's clear! Interesting point of view. I spoke with a lot of people about DW, nobody told me good things about them. Thanks for your feedback!