Delcam nesting optimization

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
One thing I love about the Delcam Mill software is the disc optimization. We are really able to wring the most out of a puck. I think this one today was a record. The guys squeezed 43 units into a puck, giving us a per unit cost of just a hair over $2 per unit.

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00162_20110204_1340.jpg
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00162_20110204_1340.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Can you not link teeth together? They are too far apart.

We are running Sum3d and it has auto cutting of sprues, or even a half-cut.

We can link teeth together to share the same roughing cut. Saves machine/milling time from jumping from one hole to the next and saves Zirconia.

The lay-out could be much better, but I guess its cool to have complete control of your work now, huh?

It's a learning curve of tricks to nesting.

You sure got close to your holding ring! Machine is nice and "on-center" with your blank!

Calibration looks dead on to center. Cool! I mean, you came right to the edge of disk in many places. X and Y axis seem centered to the disk holder pretty nice.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm, for the "flip" of disk, I see a step where the excess material was cut in all holes.

One side of your milling template has a different offset parameter in a tool compared to the other side of rough cut external. Might want to get those two values the same?

Just looks weird to me? What do I know?? LOL

I am interested in the difference between the DelCam and the Sum3D from CIM Systems.

Never seen the DelCam in person. I know one is 2x more expensive than the other. Is it also 2x better?? That's the question.

I need to find me some Zirconia that cheap! (wish I could) Great job with that. Seriously. Better than me by a long shot. Maybe that's why I work 25hrs a day and still live in a cardboard box?

Scott

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
"It's 8:00 on a Fri night

and I just had coffee to work thru the night.

Someone please kill me,

or maybe I just might?",​

Poem by, Scott (on a Friday night)

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
"It's 8:00 on a Fri night

and I just had coffee to work thru the night.

Someone please kill me,

or maybe I just might?",​

Poem by, Scott (on a Friday night)

As long as my Lava cantilever bridge gets done you'll be okay......LOLOLOL:p

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Can you not link teeth together? They are too far apart.

We are running Sum3d and it has auto cutting of sprues, or even a half-cut.

We can link teeth together to share the same roughing cut. Saves machine/milling time from jumping from one hole to the next and saves Zirconia.

The lay-out could be much better, but I guess its cool to have complete control of your work now, huh?

It's a learning curve of tricks to nesting.

You sure got close to your holding ring! Machine is nice and "on-center" with your blank!

Calibration looks dead on to center. Cool! I mean, you came right to the edge of disk in many places. X and Y axis seem centered to the disk holder pretty nice.

We used to link them together, but we stopped after a few chipping problems, and we had to slow down out cutting speed a little bit. The guys prefer to crank up the speed, and lose a little material.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Mark, milled using DentCad - Delcam scanner this weekend, best fit I've ever seen, and a smoother finish. Didn't use DentMill with this case but looking forward to using both DentCad and DentMill soon.

Last edited:
G

green916

Reaction score
Mark, i am buying a 3shape scanner from a vendor and they have a used roland jwx-10 that they used for testing before to sell to me. Are there anything else that I need besides the Cambrige software to be able to mill wax patterns like what you did at you company?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Let us know how that works out for ya!
Give a look at sum3d before you pull out your wallet.

Scott

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Mark, i am buying a 3shape scanner from a vendor and they have a used roland jwx-10 that they used for testing before to sell to me. Are there anything else that I need besides the Cambrige software to be able to mill wax patterns like what you did at you company?

You'll be very pleased with that combination. If you decide not to buy the mill, send me their contact information. The 10 isn't avaiulable from Roland anymore, but it's a great little machine.

G

green916

Reaction score
Scott, you a approx. cost on sum3d. Looks like a simple program to use. How long have you used that?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"The guys squeezed 43 units into a puck, giving us a per unit cost of just a hair over $2 per unit."

for the other post about buying a bench top mill, this is the perfect reason not to bother!

I think i have my cost per unit on the Sirona MCXL i have down to around £10-12 (16$?) per unit including bur use, with a quality isostatic zirconia, cant even get close to proper industrial mills.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Sum3d is nice! Same features as DelCam.

I even have grinding tool strategys for eMax in my tool box.

CIM Systems will customize your software for you.

I can have infinite instances of sum3d running at once doing calculations.

Works for me. Running Sum3d on my new Alienware...I figure I can output enough work for 6-10 mills.

Get a quote for DelCam and cut that figure in half.

E

elite1

Reaction score
Mark. Depending on your delcam template by overlapping your units will decrease your mill time on your roughing toolpath and allow you to squeeze another 5 units out of that already screaming disc. *** is correct on the dangerously close mill path near the fixture. If you hit the fixture forget the savings on material when tools need to be replaced.

Rhino makes some great software and I have used themoff and on for a few years. I would have to say that the user interface is somewhat heavy with many clicks. I have evaluated many types of software, most in our dental industry, to find that most of the time the code that they generate is not very efficient. For example I am currently evaluating software that outputs a decent (end result) code but is not very efficient (milling air as it forgot what it has already milled.). I have always had great effective code from delcam as the software recognizes the important areas. Canned milling from the margin inward. There initial setup is a joke and very labor intensive though. The templates are a nightmare to edit (took me a year to figure out the macros and PM)

Top Bottom