Deigital Dentures

pdent

pdent

Reaction score
Any thoughts about digital dentures? I'm looking at Ava Dent and it sure seems like a big expense for the lab.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It puts a ton of information on the Dr. to do right at one visit, many(not all) have a hard time taking down all the information they need to get a correct denture back. The "try in" milled or printed in white material is useless for shade of teeth. It can be challenging for a patient to look at a one color somewhat block and give an accurate opinion on what is to be expected in acrylic. If you get a qualified tech on the other end, you could probably be alright. If you get a early 20's computer gaming wiz they probably do not understand how dentures function so you get funky stuff back. It also takes the profit out of your hands. I am not a proponent of outsourcing to manufacturers. They should create/sell the materials we need to do our jobs. They just want a bigger piece of the pie. I may have a biased opinion because I want to have a job in 20 years.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It puts a ton of information on the Dr. to do right at one visit, many(not all) have a hard time taking down all the information they need to get a correct denture back. The "try in" milled or printed in white material is useless for shade of teeth. It can be challenging for a patient to look at a one color somewhat block and give an accurate opinion on what is to be expected in acrylic. If you get a qualified tech on the other end, you could probably be alright. If you get a early 20's computer gaming wiz they probably do not understand how dentures function so you get funky stuff back. It also takes the profit out of your hands. I am not a proponent of outsourcing to manufacturers. They should create/sell the materials we need to do our jobs. They just want a bigger piece of the pie. I may have a biased opinion because I want to have a job in 20 years.
Learn CAD

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
My Dr's like to be able to heat up a wax spatula and move a tooth or two on occasion, they can't do that with a digital denture try in.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
pdent

pdent

Reaction score
It certainly can be milled in wax with final teeth set and able to be adjusted by the doctor. After that he can send it back to the lab to be completed. This can be done by either milling a final denture base or conventional processing of the wax try-in.

I know it's only a matter of time before milled or printed dentures become a reality. I guess the trick is deciding where and when to get on board.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Learn CAD

100% right Cad/Cam is the future of Dentures and C+B. I am willing to learn CAD better than I do now. I just will probably never be able to afford a mill.

pdent

pdent

Reaction score
I know it's only a matter of time before milled or printed dentures become a reality. I guess the trick is deciding where and when to get on board.
I know too many doctors who can't remember to mark a midline on a wax rim, so to expect them to provide all the information needed for an Ava Dent denture is a fantasy.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
100% right Cad/Cam is the future of Dentures and C+B. I am willing to learn CAD better than I do now. I just will probably never be able to afford a mill.
Outsource those types of things. It takes a little trial and error, but you can find a competent outsource partner.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I know too many doctors who can't remember to mark a midline on a wax rim, so to expect them to provide all the information needed for an Ava Dent denture is a fantasy.

When a computer walks them through the process like a toddler Digital dentures will take off.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

Don't worry about that.
I'm sure there will be another lab willing to teach them.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Outsource those types of things. It takes a little trial and error, but you can find a competent outsource partner.

An outsource partner is definitely the way to start, but in most cases, if you are doing enough of them I think you will find you will want/need to buy the mill and bring all the work in house. After you look at everything, I believe, you will find buying the mill to be a lot more economical than you think.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
An outsource partner is definitely the way to start, but in most cases, if you are doing enough of them I think you will find you will want/need to buy the mill and bring all the work in house. After you look at everything, I believe, you will find buying the mill to be a lot more economical than you think.
I agree, but he is in an in house situation. It would take a lot a patients coming through there to pay for a mill.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I agree, but he is in an in house situation. It would take a lot a patients coming through there to pay for a mill.
I do 2-3 dentures a week, repairs, relines, guards, splints, and various thermoplastics, sterilization, and building maintenance. My start to finish with all the appointments is about 3 days if I have the teeth in stock and 5 days if I don't. Outsourcing isn't really an easy option for me.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
a lot more patients will come through the door when word gets around that you've got the most super cool toy on the block.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
a lot more patients will come through the door when word gets around that you've got the most super cool toy on the block.

The ivobase has a blue light on it too, and cool sound effects. I also make laser sounds with my mouth when I start the program. Least that's how its advertised on my business card.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Dentures are picking up in my office since I got here. Word has gotten around I feel. Mostly Coast/Apsen converts bringing their dentures to get done right. I had a lady bring in her denture collection, and she said I made the prettiest denture she had ever had. That feels pretty good coming from and old lady with a basketball team worth of dentures.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Its a scientifically proven fact putting a blue light on something makes dentists more attracted to it. Making it shiny with a blue light you can name your price.

The Zenotec Select has a blue light as well! :)