Definition of dme

B

Brneznarf

Reaction score
Can anyone give a good definition of dme for CAD/CAM restorations. I have to explain this to a group
of prosthodontists. (no prosthodontist jokes!!!...how many prosthodontists does it take to screw in a light bulb...)

My explanation would be that the dme sets the custom parameter for each manufacturer and material, things like minimal thickness, die space, material requirements, etc, and what the pathway is once the file has been designed or completed. Each manufacturer will have its particular dme for a particular material or process. That is why you would not be able to take an intraoral scan with an Atlantis Intraoral Scan Body and expect a third party milling center to be able to mill the abutment.

Any additions or corrections would be appreciated.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dme is just a file that labs use to exchange information.

so argen will make a dme and distribute that file to each lab who wants to do business with them. with this dme installed on a clients cadcam machine a deaigned tooth or partial can be sent to argen for manufacturing. the added benefit is that argen can control their manufacturing by incorporating certain settings within their dme. if argen uses a specific kind of cutting tool they can set that up in the dme and then anyone using that file will design their units and not get bad fits nor inconsistencies between cases.

dme helps manufacturers keep all their clients up to spec so that poor units are eliminated from the machines and less remakes happen.

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
dme= data medium exchange

C

CadCamTech

Reaction score
A 3shape dme file is a file of type "container". It typically contains an xml file containing parameters, possibly 3ml files (encrypted parameter file),and dcm files of cad models of teeth or implant components, or anything depending on what features were exported to the dme file.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Data Media Exchange