Dark stump

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to cover up a very dark stump. The shade we are aiming for is D2.

Can I press a framework using e.max HO or MO?

Would an LT ingot be sufficiant?

Would zirconia be a better choice?

The implant next to it will be restored with a zirconia abutment with either a zirconia or a layered emax crown.

ai939.photobucket.com_albums_ad232_wizardspark_DSC_1462.jpg
ai939.photobucket.com_albums_ad232_wizardspark_DSC_1462.jpg

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Depanding on the thicknes of the pattern an LT ingot is going to
be pushing your luck.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Zr is perfect for this situation.Same substructures and the same veneering porcelain.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
aaaahhhh...... the dark stump..... You must turn water into wine with these cases.

with the way Zr is processed these days, it's high risk for that darkness to bleed thru.

I'm finding more and more that the almighty pfm is the best way to mask and create if you have adequate labial clearance.

Good Luck!! post the finals when complete.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
C'mon everyone! I'm in exactly the same situation! Help! ND3,ND8 -> D2 anteriors, of course! Has anyone used HO2?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
aaaahhhh...... the dark stump..... You must turn water into wine with these cases.

with the way Zr is processed these days, it's high risk for that darkness to bleed thru.

I'm finding more and more that the almighty pfm is the best way to mask and create if you have adequate labial clearance.

CZR shade base

M

Markyboy

Reaction score
I agree with RKM Zr would be best. Lt ingot may be ok. If you try Emax take a jiffy felt and color the die black and see if it shows through. You would probably only be able to do a minimal incisal cutback in order to get the thickness you would need to cover up the dark stump.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I veneer my zirconia with Noritake CZR instead of Emax .

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
If I do zirconia I'll be veneering it with Vita VM9

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
FGC, we all need to bling up the world from time to time

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
If I do zirconia I'll be veneering it with Vita VM9

We somtimes use VM9 when we have very little preperation, its sooooo CHROMATIC that no matter how trans your Zr is nothing is going to shine through.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
MO 4. full contour, get creative with your stains.maybe a thin wash of inc.. If its 2mm (NO LESS) it will block most anything. in my experience.

staining an HO to get that low a value will be difficult I think.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Definitely would NOT go with an LT, been burned trying that.. and that stump is WAY too dark.. So unless you want to remake it, dont try it! I would go MO for sure! Or zirconia with MO zirpress..

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Zr is perfect for this situation.Same substructures and the same veneering porcelain.

HUH?? you veneer Zr with Zr?.....ZR is perfect only in full mouth rehab cases, when EVERY tooth is Zr. Even then, its still fuggin ugly.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
HUH?? you veneer Zr with Zr?.....ZR is perfect only in full mouth rehab cases, when EVERY tooth is Zr. Even then, its still fuggin ugly.

Not only are you disturbed but you're not very" fuggin" bright either.

" I veneer my zirconia with Noritake CZR instead of Emax . "

What part don't you understand?

A

AaronR

Reaction score

i see that many people are sharing their insights on how to handle this with all ceramics, which can be very tricky. So for all it's worth, Captek is a great solution for these situations when dealing with dark stumps, endo treated teeth, etc. Endodontically weakened teeth require minimal preparation and maximum esthetics. Captek’s thin coping will solve both problems by masking dark underlying tooth and root structure with the ability to go sub gingival with any margin design and any cement. Captek offers all-ceramic esthetics with the ease of a PFM with none of the problems, such as dark lines at the margins.

S

SSDS

Reaction score
I have used emax over posts and very dark cores using the HO, for this case I would use HO2

S

Solyarena5

Reaction score
I got an email form my Ivoclar rep about a clinical product called "Monopaque" that the Dr can use to mask dark stumps and supposedly, metal cores. I did not find much information about it other than what Ivoclar has published about the product, but if it does work, it may be something that you could recommend to your clients for situations like this one.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Hey Captek Aaron how much do you think it would cost to fabricate a bridge like that using Captek?