Daily number of units

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I dont really have any expectations. i was just wanting to see how long it would really take to put out a case like the ones that I always see posted here.

But yes I think that 14 is a very achievable goal! that is 1.5 per hour. Mrs.gafriday you said that you can comfortably grind 20 per day from a good build. If you were doing the good build than it should not be difficult to do.

again its not about quotas. everyday is different in a dental lab. some cases are more difficult than others. its all about having goals for your employees to reach. mine are quality first and production second but I think that you need to balance both to be successful.

I get it. You are juggling the numbers. Add this. 4 man lab - 8 units. These were called in and scheduled. One porcelain/grinder/glazer (owner). One Plaster (son). One metal finishing/de-vesting(crazy lab dude). One waxer, casting, grinder, teacher (the H training the plaster tech and the mistreated metal finisher from another lab). The Plaster guy also was delivery.

5 man lab - 15 units. Techs only. Plaster/phones(owner). Metal finishing/casting/billing. Grinder (six to 3:eek:opm and then was out of there like a shot). Porcelain/opaque/glazer (who needed help from the grinder for add-ons). Waxer/Investing/grounds keeper (who later became the grinder full time).

Its hard to hold to the figures because of the human element. Conscientious technicians juggle the figures again. Favorably in my opinion. The undedicated ones cause trouble for the next technician. This is a personal observation by myself and the H(usband). We both feel quotas break the spirit of potentially good workers. But then again, as a bean counter, I understand the need for benchmark.

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
When I first started I was working in a production lab. I was the opaquer, polisher, glazer, and did 15 units of captek copings per day. usually 9 hour days. then after a while I stopped doing Captek and started building. I was doing of the rest of the auxiliary work and 10 units. I realize that the quality was not good ( as good as I am now) but I was doing it. The average number of units that they wanted from you at that lab was 14. I left there and went into management. Then a few years ago I had to go back to production. It took a few weeks but I was able to get back to doing 12-14 units a day and finish the frames (10 hour day). I think that quality was good maybe 7-8. now, I feel that I have more skill as a ceramist ( I can do 9's consistently) but Im back into management. So I just wanted to know what everybody's thoughts were. It seems to me that 12-14 seems to be the magic number!!

Do you think, if the ceramist asks, I should give them more work? say they are done and want to start doing more units per day. should I let them do as many units as they want until the quality starts to suffer? I dont want them to burn out!

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
No More free lab management information without defining our % :D:D:D

General advice be flexible, and don't compromise professionalism.

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
HAHA Thanks Mohammad ( hey I used your full name :D). I have my numbers and what I require Im just curious what others require.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
When I first started I was working in a production lab. I was the opaquer, polisher, glazer, and did 15 units of captek copings per day. usually 9 hour days. then after a while I stopped doing Captek and started building. I was doing of the rest of the auxiliary work and 10 units. I realize that the quality was not good ( as good as I am now) but I was doing it. The average number of units that they wanted from you at that lab was 14. I left there and went into management. Then a few years ago I had to go back to production. It took a few weeks but I was able to get back to doing 12-14 units a day and finish the frames (10 hour day). I think that quality was good maybe 7-8. now, I feel that I have more skill as a ceramist ( I can do 9's consistently) but Im back into management. So I just wanted to know what everybody's thoughts were. It seems to me that 12-14 seems to be the magic number!!

Do you think, if the ceramist asks, I should give them more work? say they are done and want to start doing more units per day. should I let them do as many units as they want until the quality starts to suffer? I dont want them to burn out!

Building or grinding a single unit takes longer than opaquing or glazing, as a rule. I never polished so I cannot vouch for this. This was also before quotas, so I cannot vouch for numbers because there was a lot of trading places back then. This kept moral and interest up. There was an unspoken rule to help out, stay late when needed. Leave early if necessary. No big deal about chair time accept for Be on time. Lunch break was 12 - 1:00pm . You stayed until the day was over unless other arrangements intervened.

If a ceramist wants more, why not? Worry about the quality when it comes an issue. You might want to tell them from the beginning that quality must not suffer, or rest from too much will be enforced. You should not enforce strict standards accept for the quality.

As said by a few in this thread, you make time for the work until it is done right. The speed will come naturally in a relaxed atmosphere. A good employee enjoys the feel of accomplishment. rewards can come in many forms. Monetary. Time off. Gift cards. Lunch.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
HAHA Thanks Mohammad ( hey I used your full name :D). I have my numbers and what I require Im just curious what others require.

:D you are always welcome.

In Arab world to build a good relation with someone always call him using the best name or nickname he chooses and he likes, and up to my readings it is true mostly everywhere else, on the other hand it is immature action and non respectful to change or mock at the names of others, specially when the clown don't know them.
in competitions and/or debates it is considered to be a coward way of revenge because of a lose.
however, having fun never conflict with respectful way of living.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The internet is not the Arab world Mo. It is for everyone.

You have no respect for anyone who has a different opinion than yours. You need to show respect to earn it.

There is only one world and we all live on it.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
The internet is not the Arab world Mo. It is for everyone.

You have no respect for anyone who has a different opinion than yours. You need to show respect to earn it.

There is only one world and we all live on it.

Agreed that the internet open the door for so many coward actions as the one who commit such actions think that he/she has nothing to lose by doing it (in my opinion its enough reason for anybody to stop committing such actions is to lose self respect).

I have a respect for everyone who respect him/herself so don't make general accusations,
try to quote me and correct me, and i am all open mind and heart to apologize or to correct such misunderstandings.

best wishes

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Fair enough. I agree with you that we should all respect each other.

We are all still learning to get along on the net.

Let's admit that no one here is perfect. After all we are dental technicians ;)

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
AWE... cant we all just get along!!!

Our differences are what makes us great. once the world understands this we will be a much more peaceful place. We should all be entitled to our opinions and be able to discus them openly and freely as an open minded community.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sorry James , history tells us that the world has never been a peaceful place.

Try singing kumbya around a campfire and chances are you'll never make it past the first verse.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
As soon as people realize this statement "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good with a gun" the world will become much safer. Seriously, as lab owners, it's pretty easy to get a pistol license and carry legally, you should all take the training and do our part to be the "good guy with a gun", in my opinion.

user name

user name

Reaction score

Our differences are what makes us great. once the world understands this we will be a much more peaceful place. We should all be entitled to our opinions and be able to discus them openly and freely as an open minded community.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
dfc0t.jpg

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score

Try singing kumbya around a campfire and chances are you'll never make it past the first verse.

I Know this. Thats why I said a more peaceful place and not utopia.:)

As soon as people realize this statement "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good with a gun" the world will become much safer. Seriously, as lab owners, it's pretty easy to get a pistol license and carry legally, you should all take the training and do our part to be the "good guy with a gun", in my opinion.

I agree with your statement. The bad guys are going to get gun no matter what.

well, I think we are way off topic now o_O

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score

I don't like to be rude but i don't see any relation of those posts neither to the topic of the thread nor to the problem that have happen.

Top Bottom