Crack detection in action

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Didn't know if anyone had posted photos of a crack detection. Pressed in ep5000. Only 2nd time this has happened this way, thankfully. Crown saved both times!

image.jpg image.jpg

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
It looks salvagable, that's good.
Maybe the waxup was a bit close to the side of the ring?
Will you clean your Atox plunger? :p

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Happened once, IVO SpeedPressVest. Unit was no good. Was a trial of investment. I've stayed with using
my PCI Plus investment.
Looks like that's a 100gm ring. You need to follow the ten mm rule. Or get a Super Ring.

image.jpg

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It will still be the same principles just on a slightly smaller scale.
Over the plunger is in the coolest part of the ring.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
It will still be the same principles just on a slightly smaller scale.
Over the plunger is in the coolest part of the ring.
Quite possibly. The IVO Tech support told me they press even single units in a 200, no small ring. Maybe their trying to tell us something? My miss press pic was over a year ago. Now I'm able to use 200 rules in my super ring while only using one pack of investment. All is good.

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
We too have switched to all 200gm rings. Have been having very good success rates since the change. Tech rep at Ivoclar even mentioned most labs are going the same route. Small inlays and thin veneers I can see using the 100gm ring for. Just keep them out of the thermal zone. Worked for Reaussau dental lab years ago and had that hammered in my head by Carl for years. He evn had his own casting system that Whip Mix used to sell. Not sure if it's still available. But, never had a dot of porosity in metal castings. There was a Japanese tech that wrote a book on it, just can't remember the name.

invent dental

invent dental

Reaction score
here is a Solution and a piece of mind when pressing in a small ring.it's called the 100g super ring, honestly, i hardly ever use the 200g ring anymore.here is some pictures.

Attachments

• pressed.JPG
    pressed.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 3 unit zirpress.JPG
    3 unit zirpress.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 7 unit e.max.JPG
    7 unit e.max.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 100
D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
My employee pressed that using a dummy sprue. I'm getting my best pressings with a 200. Just bought a super- ring and will start soon. Yes I will blast alox. I made a notch in one end to help always press with same surface and discard after its old, didn't want to take chance of plunger having ceramic that was missed and sticking to oven press parts.

Hey invent. We're you recently at ivo course in Sarasota? My employee gave me super-ring info that she picked up there. Saw on dln first, should start this week with it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
45-60 degrees max outward not inwards is the max angle to sprue. 45 works well. Looks like you were really close to the outside of the ring, aint no anything detection going to cure that issue. User fail! But what in the world is that extension on the bucal? Is that part of the design or extra material from a air bubble? What is that?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I think that bucal bulging is due to a crack in the ring and shifting during pressing, the tech is lucky that the shifting occurred on the bucal and did not include the margin area.

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Wait till I use my Trix press... I'll take some snapshots cause it's interesting. But have no use to use that system often if at all. I'll stick to my 100, 200 g Emax rings. In fact we most often press each unit by itself in its own ring. One nice thing about this lab, we don't press A1's A2's and A3's in one ring with an A1 ingot just to save money. So we never have to get crazy with the stains...

http://www.dekema.com/pdf/trixpress_en.pdf

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Who the heck press A1 to achaive A3? It is crazy. Or may be i am the crazy one!!

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Like Marcus, we press singles in a 100g ring all the time and suffer no ill effects. Yes, crack detection has saved a few rings, but only when we push all the boundaries. As 2thm8kr notes: Learn the rules well, so you know how to break them properly. BTW no problems pressing with HS Vest (just don't like the surface),still using MS w/o any complaints at all. One of the techs involved in LD development from the start told me if you are getting cracked rings, you aren't keeping the ring(s) in the burnout long enough to get evenly hot inside.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Who the heck press A1 to achaive A3? It is crazy. Or may be i am the crazy one!!
Lots of labs try to save money and stain like crazy. I've seen some crazy stuff I couldn't even believe. Like why not use up those MO ingots that have been laying around for so long and press whatever we have to and stain the hell out of it...

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I had a tech tell me he would take his rings out of the silicon ring formers after about ten minutes to let it cool. Why I don't know. But if you do that, the investment isn't fully expanded and you get cracks you cant see. Not until you press will you see that blowout on the side...
I remember 10 years ago when I first started pressing, I had quite a bit of trouble. After a while you realize there are no shortcuts in pressing. Everything needs to be done perfectly. After much practice you can do these things perfectly without error, blindfolded.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
image.jpg
45-60 degrees max outward not inwards is the max angle to sprue. 45 works well. Looks like you were really close to the outside of the ring, aint no anything detection going to cure that issue. User fail! But what in the world is that extension on the bucal? Is that part of the design or extra material from a air bubble? What is that?

That area is from the original shape that was pushed out when the ring cracked.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I had a tech tell me he would take his rings out of the silicon ring formers after about ten minutes to let it cool. Why I don't know.

Marcus, 15min bench set, then remove the ring and set for three more min. It lets moisture escape so your ring won't steam pop when put in the hot oven.