Convert from ANY format into STL... It's possible !

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Clickbait...lol :D Almost. The concept of 3D scanning and digitization has always been my interest, did some research into it, as got a pet project going for a while, making a diy scanner. Came across a video, a guy making a 3d object out of a bunch of pictures taken by a regular camera. It's all explained in detail here: https://tinyurl.com/hlcmrg2
This gave me the idea of using a regular 3d view app (in fact it does work with any software, thus all formats) to virtually digitize the rendered content into a point cloud and subsequently an STL file. The idea is to open a file, take a look at it by rotating it around a few times, meanwhile a screen capture software snaps screenshots at regular intervals, I used 5fps and it worked.
Started by opening up a tooth lib model with the regular 3d viewer, turned the wire frame visualization on to aid the 3d reconstruction software down the road as in most apps the lights are static and the shadows will change around as an object rotates which could throw the 3d rec. SW off... resulting in unnecessary noise.
The screen capture resulted in about 120 cropped screenshots, in hindsight could've used higher zoom as it worked out to about only 0.4 megapixels for the virtual camera.
4d.jpg

The pictures were loaded into VisualSFM and processed.
files1.jpeg

The resulting point cloud was surprisingly noise free :)
reconstructed point cloud.jpeg
Used MeshLab to clean up the point cloud and turn it into a mesh:
point cloud cleaned.jpeg
meshed point clud.jpeg

After exporting into an STL, the two files were compared...and here's the results :) There's some loss of detail given the low resolution (640x640 pixel) used, but overall is quite usable. Cons: is labor intensive and requires a few (free) apps to be used, original scaling is lost.
result.jpeg

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Crossmanager and Delcam exchange. [emoji41]
Those only work with a very few types...forget proprietary formats...
you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands. go fishing or something!
Been ice fishing last weekend...brookies were biting like crazy...;)
brook trout.jpg

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Those only work with a very few types...forget proprietary formats...

It actually surprises me even encrypted or "protected" dcm files are easily converted with Crossmanager.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It actually surprises me even encrypted or "protected" dcm files are easily converted with Crossmanager.
Those are just the "obfuscated" kind...try some Trios output ;)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thats a big word that I do not know so the answer is probably no

It does however allow me to take a Nobel produced abutment in 3shape and reverse it out so I can make a copy abutment in PMMA :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I also found Delcam exchange to do encrypted files where crossmanager can not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Those are just the "obfuscated" kind...try some Trios output ;)
Trios outputs straight out of the folder on the trios pc? Yeah that **** won't even load into 3shape 3d viewer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Anyone have a current version of an I/O cerec scan they can send me?

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
That tooth looks very familiar... Hmmmmm

Top Bottom