Compresso with Air Dryer recommendation?

G

green916

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendation on a compressor and air dryer to be used with a Dentmill milling machine?
Thanks

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I use a commercial Ingersol rand in my removable lab (I use a lot of air, I would guess U will do the same).
There are a lot of great comercial expensive devices and if money is no concern the answers are easy finding. There was a post last year of a lab that took a fridge put it next to the compressor & piped 3 of those separator traps in the fridge, (with beverages) the cold air dried the initial air and they had a descant filter after the fridge to catch the last moisture. Replacing the descent dryer because it gets soaked can really add up and takes time off air supply. My Ingersoll Rand 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor was bought in 1989, after burning up several reed valve, I thought of the screw or rotary compressor but didn't have enough money & I was doing luxene I needed more air, I have never run out with this baby. With the siliencer it is quieter than my model trimmer. I change oil every 2000. hrs it has a timer on it, it only uses a quart well worth it. I did have to replace an air regulator switch this year. http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f71/stuck-storage-closet-11027/index2.html#post72090
awww.mag_a_grip.com_ebay_pacairImages_muffler1.jpg

Be careful of some of the E-Bay "silient Air Compressors" That is basically a refrigerator scroll compressor attached to a tank (very reliable very quiet). You probably should be replacing the synthetic oil every 2500hrs of use, some of those have use ratings on them now, anyone purchasing one should make sure it has a 100% continuous rating, and that their needs don't expand beyond 105 psi or 2-4 CFM. As I do acetal & sometimes luxene I need 150psi. I have a walnut shell blaster that gobbles 5 cfm at 60psi, even my air scribe uses 2cfm. A buffalo air chisel for dentures uses 4cfm @45psi. The 100% rating for a Sil-Air 100-50 would be closer to $2000. today do not trust the custom-air "jun-air like" you see on e-bay they are 50%run 15min 15min off, a lab with 2 handpieces will burn them up. I have some friends who bought one, there was no return & a HVAC friend of mine rebuilt their old Sil-Air 150-50 and they R using the new one as an emergency backup(he replaced one of the heads with a commercial freezer head at the same time).
awww.mag_a_grip.com_ebay_pacairImages_muffler1.jpg

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
How loud is that thing John?

I think its rated at between 55 and 65 db. YOU can be next to it and still have a semi normal conversation.

It still puts out some noise but its a whisper compared to the other stand up cast iron campbell we use in the other part of the lab.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
When choosing a compressor look at the duty cycle, whilst you can get oil free, quiet compressors that have in built driers like the sort that many Doctors have for their surgeries, these are not typically rated for continuous use. Many have a 50/50 duty cycle ie the maximum recommended runtime could be 10 minutes running with 10 minutes offline to cool down.

As most milling units need constant air for the entire milling operation which could be 4 or more hours a compressor with 100% duty cycle.

The other big consideration is air quality, you need dry, clean air with no oil or oil vapour present, the sort of compressor you can buy from Walmart or similar will not produce air of good enough quality for your milling machine.

I have a Hydrovane rotary vane compressor that will run 24/7 if needed and delivers dry clean air and isn't too loud. Hydrovane HV01 RM Hypac Compressor - Air Compressor Centre - Hydrovane & Bambi Air Compressors in London

The best thing is to go to a proper compressor supplier and tell him what your requirements are, they'll tell you what you'll need.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Here is my Hoss and got old Betsy as a back up!

ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0097.jpg
ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0098.jpg
ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0097.jpg ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0098.jpg

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I got an Atlas Copco GX 3-FF 1 month ago and I love it !

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Copco here too. You can see mine on the other thread. Love it. 4 yrs of 24/7, no issues.

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
you guys think this'll do the trick? :p

ai1172.photobucket.com_albums_r580_jtgreeny_IMG_20121107_153341.jpg
ai1172.photobucket.com_albums_r580_jtgreeny_IMG_20121107_153341.jpg