Closed Tray Impressions

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What are the risks (if any) of bottoming-out on an impressions analog when taking and impression?

One dentist of mine has bottomed out a couple times but feels its ok

Is this ok?

Sean

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
The Good.... at least you have a positive seat:D

The Bad...... You dont know if any unatural forces were placed on the imp.
using plastic trays or even triple trays.:confused:

The Ugly..... You'll only find out at time of delivery.:mad::mad:

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
sorry I think I butchered my question

Bottoming out with the closed tray on an implant analog when taking impression? Will the "transfer info" be wrong when pooring up model? replica in model be too high or low?

Does this make sense, hope i'm clear

Sean

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Sean,

I take it you mean the top of the transfer coping touches the inside of (the intaglio) of the tray at the occlusal aspect. As long as the transfer coping is completely encapulated (captured) and the retaining screw and TC are properly orientend and are secured tightly and the associated soft tissue is captured when the impression is taken then there shouldn't be a problem. I'd say double check for the completing seating of the transfer coping within the impression before pouring. Even if you received it from the clinic with transfer copings and analogs in the impression.

Last edited:
TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Even when making implant borne locator prosthetics, its advisable to include a confirmation jig with the activated baseplate and rim. The jig, if designed with evaluative purpose makes clinical observation much easier.
35277_455113720672_231933485672_6274828_2126140_n.jpg