Chinese solar panel anti "dumping" tax

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Whilst flicking through a free news paper I came across an advert for photovoltaic panels. In the advert was a reference to an new piece of EU legislation that will impose a tax on cheap Chinese photovoltaic panels that are being exported to EU countries at ridiculously low prices.
Here is a link to a BBC news story about it,
BBC News - China solar panel duties imposed by EU

Surely the Chinese are also "dumping" dental restorations into the EU/US/AUS/NZ markets? I received an email this week from a UK company offering chinese NP Bondeds for £23, that company will be paying perhaps £6 a unit to the Chinese lab.
If other industries get protection from this sort of dumping, why can't the dental industry?
At some point the likes of Degudent/Ivoclar etc are going to find that there is no EU/US market to sell their products into and that the Chinese will either be making their own versions of the materials or dictating the price for them.
It really is time for all aspects of the dental lab industry to make a stand on this issue.

doug

doug

Reaction score
This is another good reason to be a member of the NADL. They're the ones who look out for us, we need to make sure they have the resources

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You want freedom?

But you do really want it?

Freedom works both ways.

You are asking for the government to save you?? LOL

Why would they do that? Just because?? Not going to happen.

Just my thoughts. Don't hold your breath waiting for some magical law to help.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I think the world is becoming a global village, the survival is for the fittest, it is affecting all of us as dental laboratories. Corporations run the policy of this country if the stock holders are making money by investing and manufacturing overseas nothing is going to changed any time soon.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I don't expect the government to anything to help the dental industry, it just makes me cross that the "solar" industry is deemed so important that it. does get protection, though in reality it most likely because some huge German corporation has greased some palms to get a law pushed through.

It's great having a free open market except there's no reciprocal free market in China, the Chinese are notoriously difficult when it comes to allowing imports into their own country. There's quite a good fictional book by Tom Clancy "The Bear and The Dragon" that details the trade gap with china.

As for survival of the fittest, the deck is stacked and not in our favour, in th UK we not only have cheap work flooding the market which is giving younger dentist's especially, the idea that a crown really only should cost £23 ($35) we have also a National Health system that has been steadily decreasing the amount of money that dentists get for treatments which need lab work and also making those same treatments unattractive to do. A new contract is about to rolled out in a year or so that basically has little or no provision for lab work all.

Apart from that everything's fine:)

Top Bottom