CEREC to Open STL

T

toothharvester

Reaction score
Ok I have spent an hour searching and all I can find is someone willing to convert cerec files to open stl. for a buck.
I want to convert in office blue cam CEREC 4.0 files to open STL so I can view them in blender. Does anyone know how to do this for free?
Thanks,

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Ok I have spent an hour searching and all I can find is someone willing to convert cerec files to open stl. for a buck.
I want to convert in office blue cam CEREC 4.0 files to open STL so I can view them in blender. Does anyone know how to do this for free?
Thanks,

Sorry pal but I dont think there is a free conversion out there. The only thing I have seen that can do it is dental shaper add-on. Hope you do find one though and when you do please post it.:)

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
inlab software should be able to output stl

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
Hi send me the file by e-mail to see if I can help you ..
[email protected]
If the file is to big use winrrar or any file compression software.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'll do Ten or so files for free if the dude above can't help ya.

We do charge a fee, because the software isn't cheap. You want no model printed or nothing manufactured, huh?

You'd need a copy of Rhino and DentalShaper or some other solution from DelCam. Which may be just about the same cost?

Scott

T

toothharvester

Reaction score

We do charge a fee, because the software isn't cheap. You want no model printed or nothing manufactured, huh?

You'd need a copy of Rhino and DentalShaper or some other solution from DelCam. Which may be just about the same cost?

Scott

thanks everyone. The reason I want this is because I am a teacher, my job is to teach all ceramic crown preps for CAD/CAM and I want to scan a perfect prep and convert it to .stl and then put it in blender or strata 3d to convert it into a web friendly file or a 3D PDF so students can study the model on their own computer without needing special 3d software. Research shows that prep design is even more important to follow for milled restorations and I want students to always have a 3d digital model of the perfect prep.
thanks

trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
InLab 3d 3.86 or 3.88 can export Blue cam scans of preparation model or antagonist only to stl. not the buccal bite scan. It may also work for 4.0
When you choose to export a file and you pick the file of choice, click the properties and you may choose cdt. ,idt. or stl. (4.0 may have an rst.file) you cannot export a designed case, only the image catalogs to be used with a 3Shape and then you need the appropriate dongles to proceed with the case.
If you are wanting the images of what you are designing in 4.0 or InLab 3D to show the steps and procedures you can take "screenshots"(print Scrn button after F12 on your keyboard) and paste them in "Paint" then those files can be used in a powerpoint or printed. We take these to record the final design prior to mill with a parameters box in the corner so we have a reference for later.

Another question: Are you a cerec office? do you have an account to cerecdoctors.com? There are valuable videos on proper prep geometry at that website.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Research shows that prep design is even more important to follow for milled restorations "

yep its a shame labs are not told that before buying an inlab system.

As we have no control over prep design and the vast majority of dr's cant and have no inclination to do "CEREC" preps, its makes it virtually impossible for labs to get quality fits.

Burs cant mill anything smaller than 1mm. Now i wonder why potential buyers of inlab arnt told this up front, mmm??

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
toothharvester, I ran into the same problem. All that wonderful 3d information trapped in a closed system.

For my projects I have gotten Scott to convert some files for me. I also used a trial version of Rhino (25 saves) with a trial version of Dental Shaper (8 days of use) to convert some files. So, your free option is there, but you have 8 days or 25 files whichever happens first. So make sure your ducks are in a row with your example files before you start the trials.

If you need any help with the Blender side of things, I have some experience with it.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
If you need any help with the Blender side of things, I have some experience with it.

I think that is the biggest understatement of the YEAR Lol

I thought you wrote blender with all the stuff you do with it!!!!:)

Toothharvester take Patmo141 up on his offer, he knows blender inside and out.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I was gunna say the same thing.

I think Patty-Pat could teach a class on it!

S

skipknot

Reaction score

Scott

Hi ***, I've been trying to pm u about this very thing. I'm a small lab owner and I really can't justify spending the amount of money those guys want for the rhino software and dental shaper add on.. I'd like to make use of your conversion service if you'd be open to helping me out?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
brad@********* is employee who does that.

We'll do a bunch for nothing.

Wax Prints for only $2.95 (no conversion fee) if you send us a Bruxzir or Zirconia coping every now and then. We use Amann Girrbach ($24/$29 anterior and molar prices) and 3M Zirconia for most substructures.

Glidewell's BruxZir material for full-contour. $39 sintered from scan.

Scott

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
You guys are over my head. Is there someone who would be willig to have a conversation about the above thread? If so, please send me an email - [email protected] with a phone number and a good time to call. I have 3Shape and a Cerec Mc XL (collecting dust),but have had some interest lately about getting Cerec Connect files. Looking for a way to import those files into 3Shape and then either print or mill the design files. Thanks -

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
You guys are over my head. Is there someone who would be willig to have a conversation about the above thread? If so, please send me an email - [email protected] with a phone number and a good time to call. I have 3Shape and a Cerec Mc XL (collecting dust),but have had some interest lately about getting Cerec Connect files. Looking for a way to import those files into 3Shape and then either print or mill the design files. Thanks -

As of right now you can't design anything in 3Shape and send to the MCXL (as far as I know) but you can take cerec scans and design in 3Shape as well as scan in 3Shape and export to the Sirona software..

T

toothharvester

Reaction score
Hi send me the file by e-mail to see if I can help you ..
[email protected]
If the file is to big use winrrar or any file compression software.

thanks for the help! I really wish I could do this myself so I don't have to bother everyone. I have a CERECchair-side unit with CEREC Connect both 3.8 and 4.0 but I do not see an option to save as .STL, it seems it will only convert it if I actually hit "send to a lab". I can save or export as .rst or .cdt.
I guess I can buy that Rhino software when I hit the lotto

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
I think only the inlab software has it, not the cerec software for docs.

A

attenborough_dental

Reaction score
maybe dental wings are working with sirona on an approved import function :)

trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
Can you get your Cerec Rep to load a version of InLab 3.80 onto your unit? Then get the software upgraded to at least 3.86 on the InLab website from the Support section. Your blue cam will work through InLab 3D, acquire images and save in separate folder.

T

toothharvester

Reaction score
Can you get your Cerec Rep to load a version of InLab 3.80 onto your unit? Then get the software upgraded to at least 3.86 on the InLab website from the Support section. Your blue cam will work through InLab 3D, acquire images and save in separate folder.

I am going to try this. I hope it works. Thanks