CEREC CAD/CAM crowns, question from a patient

A

Alexandru

Reaction score
Hello, in the last 2 months or so I finished getting a full mouth restoration with CEREC CAD/CAM crowns. I've noticed my crowns getting yellower and yellower. A week and a half ago, my dentist cemented my last 6 front crowns and they are slowly turning yellow as well. Could it be because I used chlorhexidine mouthwash all this time? Is this staining removable? Thank you very much, I hope I don't bother with my question.

C

charles007

Reaction score
No its not you ! and your dentist should know the cause of this problem.

As lab techs we don't normally answer questions or give advice from patients on this forum, but I would like to know how your
dentists responds, and know if he will replace your restorations.
Going to assume your restorations are bonded in and will need to be cut off....Hopefully your crowns are temporally cemented in ?

Edit: As far as I know, never heard of anything to yellow crowns, but I do know what can cause crowns to discolor and its not anything patients can cause.
Good luck

doug

doug

Reaction score
Ahh, another Reddit user. Great place, it replaced FB for me.

A

Alexandru

Reaction score
No its not you !...
they're bonded in, I highly doubt they will replace my crowns, but I will come back and post here as soon as I have an answer. They just advised me not to drink anything
very colored in the first day they cemented my crowns and I didn't. But after a few days to a week I noticed the crowns getting yellower. The difference in color is very noticeable
between the first day I got them and now.
yes I posted there too, someone answered me there it might be the chlorhexidine staining my crowns :/

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I'm wondering how they were finished and glazed in the office ?
But anyway, whats wrong with yellow teeth ?:D

6ccf8d04b8ec5fa2d73e413e932f0661.jpg

C

charles007

Reaction score
they're bonded in, I highly doubt they will replace my crowns, but I will come back and post here as soon as I have an answer. They just advised me not to drink anything
very colored in the first day they cemented my crowns and I didn't. But after a few days to a week I noticed the crowns getting yellower. The difference in color is very noticeable

yes I posted there too, someone answered me there it might be the chlorhexidine staining my crowns :/

Now we both know the answer...
fyi sometimes incorrect info can be given to patients and the reason we shouldn't answer patients questions on a dental lab forum
like this ! guilty as charged.. lol

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

well sure, it might be the mouthwash. it might be also that plaque is forming rapidly. it might be just the lighting difference between your house and the doctors office.

and in the unnaturally rare exceptional occurrence (due to user error on the part of the dentist),they might not have been properly polished, and coffee/wine/juice is rapidly adhering and staining the crowns.

who is to say.

A

Alexandru

Reaction score
well sure, it might be the mouthwash. it might be also that plaque is forming rapidly. it might be just the lighting difference between your house and the doctors office.

and in the unnaturally rare exceptional occurrence (due to user error on the part of the dentist),they might not have been properly polished, and coffee/wine/juice is rapidly adhering and staining the crowns.

who is to say.

thanks for your help. the only comparison I'm doing is in my house, in all the lighthing I've been sitting, watching in the mirror, taking photos with the same phone etc. I have not been told
at any point that a changing in the color might occur. I'm extremely disappointed to end up with this, after being through an 8 month painful process to get these crowns, I feel totally robbed.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Are they bonded or cemented? This patient seems to know both... bit sus...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Don't know the difference, I thought both meant permanently cemented.
big difference between bonding and cementing. as these are Cerec crowns its safe to say they are bonded given the length of time youve been out of the chair.

this means they will never come off and if they need to be re-made or modified they need to be cut off instead of removed and replaced (as would be the case with cementation)

my money is on your crowns playing tricks on your eyes.

but i'd definitely stop with the mouthwash.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Call me jaded, but I would bet this is psychological. We do custom shades/stains on a fairly routine basis, and I would say we average two patients a year whom no one could please. They will spend hours in the chair pointing out the tiniest discrepancies in shade/contour. Multiple visits. Remakes. Crowns that were fine and accepted in our office are later deemed to be the wrong shade. I'm not in any way saying some of it isn't valid, but you get to the point where you realize that its not about the crowns - its about attention. Just my pet theory. Feel free to lambast me...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Hello, in the last 2 months or so I finished getting a full mouth restoration with CEREC CAD/CAM crowns. I've noticed my crowns getting yellower and yellower. A week and a half ago, my dentist cemented my last 6 front crowns and they are slowly turning yellow as well. Could it be because I used chlorhexidine mouthwash all this time? Is this staining removable? Thank you very much, I hope I don't bother with my question.

You should inform your dentist.
Chairside crowns are not like lab made crowns.Surface staining of any ceramic crown is unlikely especially in such a short time frame.

This could be an indication that something is happening on the inside of your crowns.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Could be the doctor used the wrong cement for the restoration. If the restorations are a more transparent material then an incorrect cement will turn a yellow/brown color and be visible through the crowns.

Or it could be from bad margins which the CEREC mill is NOT known for (snicker). Bad margins can allow stuff to leak in but I think it's too soon for that to be the case. The top front four teeth are the bad ones in the pic. That grayish brown is the cement/bonding agent showing through after it has changed.
upload_2016-8-2_8-31-39.png

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i know for a fact if the dentist got a lab to make those restorations and the teeth change color due to bad bonding or wrong colored cement they would want us to remake it even though its not our ie the labs fault.So there should be no problem for them to remake the crowns or veneers. Also can you post what is the ceramic they are made from. Because sometimes they use a ceramic reinforced resin and call the restoration a ceramic when in fact its more like a resin which is far more likely to stain.The teeth you have look like the surface stain has been abraded off how do you clean your teeth and what do you use?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Did you bleach recently BEFORE getting the restorations?
I Learned something recently from one of my accounts. I asked why the long delay when the patient was bleaching and the doc called it "bounce back" and said you have to wait for the bleached teeth to stabilize in color and decide whether to bleach more or mask the dentin color. If you bleached before the restorations were seated, this might impact the final look.

Top Bottom