Cementing to an opaqued custom cast abutment

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Has anyone completed a case by opaquing a custom cast abutment, and providing an emax or Empress crown for cementation over the top? In our situation:
8-9 are implants
6-7 & 10-11 are prepped for all ceramic

Thoughts?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Has anyone completed a case by opaquing a custom cast abutment, and providing an emax or Empress crown for cementation over the top? In our situation:
8-9 are implants

Thoughts?

Yes we have done it with cast-to type of abutments (UCLA's) not Cad/Cam TI.

What I have always wanted to try is if you sprinkle a bit of porc in the wet opaque and fire it to the high temp of the porc would you then have a smooth thin interface that would etch and allow bonding???

A Zirconia abutment would be much easier :)

I have played with GC's metal primer and their composite opaque on cad cam Ti abutments. It seems to stick pretty good.

One trick we do with Fixed hybrids is to use the metal primer and gradia opaque and dust it with a bit of Acrylic then light cure it. When the composite sets we now have a interface that is opaqued and acrylic will actually bond to it. I have had to strip one and all I can say is the stuff sticks like glue.

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
Yes i have had good success using this method too, like john i use gradia MC primer and then opaque (don't like the heavy oxides on titanium when put through furnace)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I always opaque my custom cast abutments for anterior all ceramic crowns. I don't think there is any need to etch for bonding however. If you are concerned with the possibility of fracture then " stick" with zirconia or a pfm.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I always opaque my custom cast abutments for anterior all ceramic crowns. I don't think there is any need to etch for bonding however. If you are concerned with the possibility of fracture then " stick" with zirconia or a pfm.

Totally agree with you here Rick,

I mentioned it because of the fact that other units next to these from the OP's question would need to be bonded. Some clients are strictly adhesive only when it comes to EMAX.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
8-9 are implants

Thoughts?

you can do single units of e.max over either a titanium (which as others have mentioned you can opaque to give yourself a much broader ingot choice such as LT or MO instead of HO) or zirconia abutment. original empress wouldn't be a good choice to put over implant abutments. just not strong enough, but e.max works nicely. dentists then have the choice of either bonding the units to the regular preps for all ceramic and then conventionally cementing the units over the abutments, or they can just conventionally cement them all (which would be easier in my opinion).

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Thanks everyone ... sounds like they are going with eMax, and opaqued the abutments. They felt the eMax would block it out well. Hopefully the material will be strong enough, as she said she wanted to stack the porcelain instead of doing a full contour with cutback. We were unable to do zirconia due to worries of strength due to the implant placement, and wall thickness after design.