CDT..to be, or not to be (from ortho forum)

S

Synovio

Reaction score
allow me please ta' tell y'all what I thinks..

I got my CDT in 1981 when I was in the NAVY. I treasured it as it took a lotta hard study & work ta' get. Another guy went with me fer the same test and he failed it..so I realy thought it was a cool credential..but as time went by, (violins) I saw other guys pass it who I wouldn't let clean my plaster trap..so it became a diluted treasure to me..

Now we used ta' get a cool magazine (Quintessence) but they took that away cause' I suppose they thought we were unworthy ta' be readin' such cerebral pearls a' wisdom..an' gradually it became clear that they were takin' the meat an' tossin' us the bones from the NBC table..the price of recert an' the hoops a' fire the had us workin' techs jump thru..I tell ya - it lost it's lustre for me..so I dropped it after over 20 years. I miss not bein' able ta' introduce myself as "Synovio the CDT" now, but hey..that's life huh?..
But I found a workaround..I introduce myself now as:

"Synovio - the former CDT fer over 20 years"

Still..a CDT credential an' about 2 bucks can get ya a cup a' coffee at Dunk's..so if ya get one I'm happy for ya.

L

labdude

Reaction score
I'm with you Synovio.
Wish they would make it a meaningful thing to have.

B

billydte

Reaction score
I'm a young Tech, but from what I've noticed Doctors don't care if your a CDT. You either know what your talking about and can do it or you can't and thats all they care. What do you think?
What about AACD, is it worth all the political and financial stuff?

C

corbett

Reaction score
I was a CDT for about 2 years maybe. My education consists of about 1000 hrs USN training and my experience before my CDT was four years. The general consensus of dentists in this area is "that bunch of techs being turned out over there at the local training facility (no bashing of the local tech school) are a bunch of nonfunctional individuals who think they deserve top pay for their education and CDT and cant do anything. Dentists think any one with a certificate graduated from that school or one similar to it. They prefer experience and no certification. Some one stated "they don't want you certified so they can pay you less." My answer to that is, if you know a lab that charges more than I do, let me know so I can raise my prices." I charge about 20% above high end market. I work more than I want to and charge more than I should. I make no mention of my education or status of my certification. So, no CDT for me. Do I think a young tech should pursue a CDT? Most definitely. Only make the decision to drop it after you have it. Not before you ever get it.
Regulation? My dentists will support non regulation because if it costs me it will cost them the same plus my usual 20% mark up, maybe I'll add an other 20% for the hassle. Some one mentioned protection from the Chinese out source dilemma. One of my Dr.s dropped the lab I work part time for, for an overseas account, when he came back he didn't have the same good deal he had when he left. The good long standing customer discount left when he dropped us. Starting all over again.
This same discussion has been going on since I started 25 years ago and I figure it will be going on for another 25 years and it will still be nothing but talk.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi corbett,
I agree completely, really.
Some do feel "good" personally about having gotten a CDT, MDT, etc. There is an acomplishment there, no doubt. Expecting something to good to happen because of it, is a pipe dream.
And, now your 1 more talking of raising, high prices.
1 more push for me.
I have always found the work to easy for what I get, makes it difficult ( used to anyway) to charge a LOT for it.
1 more....my mind is slowly changing. Prices are creeping up.
Mike.

T

TripL3

Reaction score
This might be slightly off-topic, but a quick newbie question about CDT's continuing education:

I understand you need to accumulate 12 hours of credit to qualify a renewal of your CDT. However, for most of the seminars I've seen, they list the credit as just numbers. (e.g. 2 credits, 10 credits, 16 credits, etc.) How does that work? How many credits equals 1 hour of credit? And if you have excess credit leftover after your renewal, can you use it for your next year's renewal?

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
1 credit = 1 hr

no roll-over for next year renewal

WireBender

WireBender

Reaction score
I am interested in becoming a CDT in Orthodontics......and help would be great.
WireBender
Denise in KY

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
OK, CDT or not to be...
Here's the deal... I've taken the C&B written before i graduated and have the practical scheduled.
Why? well the answer is pretty simple... i intend to move to Texas where a CDT is required in every Lab. Or to start a small specialized lab
Why? i can't find a frigging job (for many reasons, the main one is my GF works for a local bully BS lab)
Why? it may actually mean something to a potential employer... will i feel this way a few years form now? doubt it
Why? it's a minor accomplishment and actually "means" something in the area i live

Why not? its fking spendy and really doesn't hold any weight

thats my two cents... or maybe that was 1.5c

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
I'm a young(er) tech (30 years old) and I feel like getting my CDT will at least show that I'm more motivated to educate myself and stand out of the crowd. Even if doctors don't know what it means they have to acknowledge that it takes an added effort. I feel it will make it easier to sell myself to dentists regardless of technical status etc. They have a DDS... I want my 3 letters!

Also if anyone can tell me what the most efficient way to study is I would appreciate it. I have the AFM but I feel like I need the ceramics modules from the NADL store or something.

Last edited:
skdawl

skdawl

Reaction score
I'm a young(er) tech (30 years old) and I feel like getting my CDT will at least show that I'm more motivated to educate myself and stand out of the crowd. Even if doctors don't know what it means they have to acknowledge that it takes an added effort. I feel it will make it easier to sell myself to dentists regardless of technical status etc. They have a DDS... I want my 3 letters!

Also if anyone can tell me what the most efficient way to study is I would appreciate it. I have the AFM but I feel like I need the ceramics modules from the NADL store or something.
We are about the same age and I have been preparing myself for the test as well. Unfortunately, I have the air force manual circa 1990. Not sure what your forte is but the new test includes knowledge of removables as well, which I am limited in experience. I want to start a study group and educate my fellow techs on the air force manual. If you want to collaborate let me know. I would love if my lab hosted the test so I would be somewhere familiar, therefore I would love for my my coworkers to join me.

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Ha, yeah circa 1990 is a bit old, I bet it would still work for most of it though. I found newe r on e but the te xt is a bit odd like thi s in plac es. I'm interested in the ceramics and implant part of the test for sure. Me and my brother are planning on taking it. I could do some collaboratin' perhaps, let me know what you have in mind. I'll message you the link where I found for the other manual so you can check it out if you want...

Top Bottom