CDT..to be, or not to be (from ortho forum)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Ok then, last post then back to work :)
I forgot to add we were also discussing those discounted denture places
(no name used) so it disturbed one of my favorite people in the whole wide world who then complained to the higher up that it might look like we were
price fixing so the entire thread was deleted. Like I said, politics and greed.

Later on,
FL

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
:) Well it would seem everyone including the trade mags pretty much discuss their prices . My point is that I have learned (and I'll be a bit cryptic),that
if you get too close to the flame, the flame is going to close ranks and burn you. Better to be a sheep, that's me baabaa :)

FL

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi FL,
So....what is your concept of this "flame"?? What happened to you?
If you feel the need to not discuss the issue, that's o.k.
If you fear the NADL, or the NBC, and that has caused you to become a sheep, that is sad.
The guy I worked for just when I went out on my own told me "You play on the freeway, you'll get run over".
6 months later I had a sizeable amount of his business. 1 year later, it was more. The playing field was not particularly level, but, he choose not to compete with the same methods. My methods were...going to meetings and displaying in the exhibitors areas.
I never once had to knock on a door or make a phone call etc to gather new business.

There are a lot of creepy sorts out there that will try to intimidate you. Seems you've been at your field long enough. You could survive the flame.
The flame is within you Michelle.
Mike.

B

betty

Reaction score
lab dude

lab dude YOU ROCK!!!! I love reading this stuff and learing great things, Im so happy to have helpful tips. One day I will own my own lab :) keep up the great talk, thanks you guys! popcorn

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I was being dramatic (hence the smiley face),I also have a gift it would seem to stir the pot which for the most part I do not want to do.
I have nothing but good things to say about NBC. As far as NADL goes,
it's like my home owners association. If you don't sign up and go to meetings
don't be suprised at anything they pass for the good of the neighborhood.
Just want to be part of the conversation and make friends.

FL

Hi FL,
So....what is your concept of this "flame"?? What happened to you?
If you feel the need to not discuss the issue, that's o.k.
If you fear the NADL, or the NBC, and that has caused you to become a sheep, that is sad.
The guy I worked for just when I went out on my own told me "You play on the freeway, you'll get run over".
6 months later I had a sizeable amount of his business. 1 year later, it was more. The playing field was not particularly level, but, he choose not to compete with the same methods. My methods were...going to meetings and displaying in the exhibitors areas.
I never once had to knock on a door or make a phone call etc to gather new business.

There are a lot of creepy sorts out there that will try to intimidate you. Seems you've been at your field long enough. You could survive the flame.
The flame is within you Michelle.
Mike.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, we can all stir the pudding from time to time, it's the internet, so join in and have fun with it.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I know many technicians better than me that are not CDTs.
And I know there are problems with the process.

BUT...I really believe that there must be a certification, a way to separate the people who go into this as a trade from those who go into it as a profession.

There is no one on this site who is not a professional, you wouldn't waste your time!

If you feel the system is broken...let's fix it
If you don't have time to help fix it ...you are in denial.

This is my passion button and I promise to help any of you complete the process to become a CDT. I promise any of you to take up your concerns with the NBC.

Mike help me, start with your feelings...you are one of them that are certainly a better tech than me.

Don
Don I was in business in Fl from 78 till 4 yrs ago. I moved and opened up a lab in Kentucky. Ky requires all state labs to have at least 1 CDT. So I tested, and now am a CDT in ceramics.

There are zero bennifets to being a CDT except personal pride. I understand you may be trying to improve the professional image of lab techs and weed out what you may consider lesser skilled techs., but it only puts potential unnessecary regulations on us and it is very expensive to maintain my CDT status.

I prefer to let the Dr's decide on the quality of work they want and let the free market weed out the bad techs.

It is already difficult to find good help and unless you own our own lab the pay is not good. Putting extra requirements like CDT testing is not going to help in reqruiting new talent.

If CDT testing was made mandatory for all techs in the US, off shore outsoursing would increase.

D

dentcre

Reaction score
did you all know that NBC already offers a real nice cdt logo gold ring ?
:Dpopcorn

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
did you all know that NBC already offers a real nice cdt logo gold ring ?
:Dpopcorn

Yes, I seen that......lol
I have no qualms with NBC, I like the testing process and practical, it's tough, as it should be. My quarrel is with NADL, specifically pushing the FDA to mandate regulations on us, when they should be pushing the ADA so their Dentists don't put that crap in a patients mouth....Oh NADL do you hear us? You half-baked, southern-fried, box of rocks association.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I have no qualms with NBC, I like the testing process and practical, it's tough, as it should be.

Yes,it is tough, and bringing all your own tools and materials and epuipment like handpiece and furnice was a challange. You really need to find a location you can drive to not fly.

L

labdude

Reaction score
So Rob...how do you really feel??
Isn't NBC associated with the NADL??

Al and everyone,
Testing is one thing. Certification isn't bad either. But, to require you to bring equipment etc to a test is unreasonable. This is one main area that could be dealt with, using the regular yearly income form the fees they collect. Is it that expensive that the NBC and NADL can't be managed by volunteers? I bet the system could be fixed. Just the guys who are in control, want to keep that control. And the bucks.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
So Rob...how do you really feel??
Isn't NBC associated with the NADL??

Al and everyone,
Testing is one thing. Certification isn't bad either. But, to require you to bring equipment etc to a test is unreasonable. This is one main area that could be dealt with, using the regular yearly income form the fees they collect. Is it that expensive that the NBC and NADL can't be managed by volunteers? I bet the system could be fixed. Just the guys who are in control, want to keep that control. And the bucks.

I've made my opinion loud and clear, and still I await anyone from NADL to take a position for or against my opinion. NBC is associated with NADL in that use some of their resources. As for taking equipment, not sure about all that, most exams are in a full service laboratory or technical school. I still had to bring my own waxing instruments, electric waxer, and materials. All the equipment (i.e. ovens) was already there for me to use. I did call ahead to see what type of porcelain the testing place was using, so I could get acquainted with the porcelain and ovens. The testing, prestige, and sense of accomplishment is definitely something to go after, that is what the NBC is about, the NADL however is a fat, government wannabe, bloated, don't speak for any technician in the dental field association. Period. Till the NADL goes after the ADA for letting their Dentists put that crap in a patients mouth will I ever have any respect for them.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
They strongly recomended that I bring my own porc oven because of the time limit and the possible number of people there, also there was no guarantee that the programs and temps on their ovens are correct for my porcelin.
I had Drs in Ky waiting for me to pass that #%*@ test before they could send me work, so there is no way I was going to chance having my crn come out of another labs oven looking like a marble.

During my written exam in Lexington they had the hands on for dentures and a guy didnt make it because he got held up at the airport trying to explain why he had a bottle of acrylic liquid in his carry on bags.
I drove to Chicago for my hands on test.
I had to take my own porc and liquid and mixing trays and glaze and brushes and carvers and burs and art. paper, loops, they also required I bring eye protection and mask, and they recommended I take my own handpeice and furnice unless I called the lab owner ahead of time and made arrangments to use his.

A royal pain in the a##. If I ever leave this state I will not renew my CDT.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I've made my opinion loud and clear, and still I await anyone from NADL to take a position for or against my opinion. NBC is associated with NADL in that use some of their resources.

Rob I thought the NBC was a branch of the NADL? One dosent exist without the other.
For as long as I can remember prob at least 25 yrs the NADL has been pushing every agency, the ADA, FDA the feds and the states to force all techs to become certified and to have labs inspected.
They have constantly lobbied to try to force all labs to be CDLs.
That has been the NADLs agenda for as long as I can remember and why I wont have anything to do with them.

The only good thing that I know they have done is to lobby to allow patients to come to labs for shade checks.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Al, I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the NBC was around long before the NADL came about. As for the NADL pushing the ADA, love to read anything you have on that....you'd have better luck watching salmon swim up stream. You're right about the NADL pushing the CDL. A few years back I went through that process. At that time, I know some things have changed, we had to take pictures of certain safety things (i.e. fire blanket, extinguisher, fire plan, etc.) in the lab and if my memory serves me correct, we also had to have a CDT in every department <<<that part may have changed but I'm pretty sure it was at that time (2004). Like any Dentist gives a flying fornication if you're a CDL....

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Rob, Im sure if some had their way there would be monthly lab inspections paid for by the labs.
In Fl we were inspected by the state yrly. In Ky there are no inspections just manditory CDT testing.
They looked for non porous countertops, displayed daily cleanup procedures ex: all countertops disinfected daily, all garbage cans emptied daily, no sign of food in work areas. A posted impression disinfection procedure.
Eye protection and masks available for all employees etc.

I know at one time rumors were flying about OSHA making us keep msds sheets on all consumables on file and having them labled for all employees to see and posting signs like "Do not inhale the dust from plaster", "Eye protection must be worn" and requiring eye wash stations, keeping certian materials like etches and strip it in metal cabnets labeled and locked, etc,etc.

Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom