Casting Full Plastic UCLA internal connection

Care Dental Lab

Care Dental Lab

Reaction score
Looking for help
I'm having issues with casting full plastic UCLA internal connection implants. I'm not sure what water to powder ratio to use, do I use full special liquid?
Thanks

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
i may be mistaken but i dont think they are ment to be cast
you wax your custom abuttment up on the beige plastic peices and then scan them

you could just have DR order the anolog and the impression post and send out for the custom abutment
perhaps *** can do it for you

what problems are you having?

Greg Amendola MDT

Last edited:
Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
i've casted some of them, for Replace implants. In my experience, if you want to invest, kill the expansion or it will not be seated in place.
I can't tell you the exact ratio to use, each investments have different ratios of liquid to water!

Care Dental Lab

Care Dental Lab

Reaction score
I'm casting the "attachments international" UCLA engaging cylinder, basically a cheaper version of the noble replace to make a screw retained implant. The problem is after casting it has expanded too much and does not fit into the analogue without a lot of grinding. Wondering how to get zero expansion so it is an exact fit like it is in plastic.
I use bego SH and not sure if to use full liquid

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I've done quite a few of them, no expansion is what you are looking for here or you'll give yourself a migraine wondering why they are so tight. Depending on your investment, wouldn't it be where you have less special liquid if you want less expansion?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
more water, less liquid = more expansion

less water, more liquid = less expansion no?

The temps of the liquid and water change mine also, ie fridge or room temp.
Warmer means more expension.

Im no expert on casting so sure someone else can help more.

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
more water, less liquid = more expansion

less water, more liquid = less expansion no?

The temps of the liquid and water change mine also, ie fridge or room temp.
Warmer means more expension.

Im no expert on casting so sure someone else can help more.

Paul it's the opposite,
More liquid gives more expansion,
more water gives less expansion.
Agree that the warmer the liquid, the more expansion you get.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
My investment (Whip Mix) it is, the more special liquid you use the more expansion you get. Investments vary, best to go back to the instructions to verify because I have used investments where Paul's explanation is correct, but my current investment is the exact opposite. Good luck.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ive always used the same mix for what ever metal I was casting with.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
FWIW, only externally connected implants should be cast in all plastic. There is no way to lap an internal connection. I wouldn't do it. Use a gold plastic combo, or mill one and pass on the cost.

Care Dental Lab

Care Dental Lab

Reaction score
I think your right Mark, I'm going to try the route of designing and milling.
thanks

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm casting the "attachments international" UCLA engaging cylinder, basically a cheaper version of the noble replace to make a screw retained implant. The problem is after casting it has expanded too much and does not fit into the analogue without a lot of grinding. Wondering how to get zero expansion so it is an exact fit like it is in plastic.
I use bego SH and not sure if to use full liquid

Steven, Welcome to the site

Those abutments are temp abutments,not ucla's, therefore as Mark said they should not be cast .

The attachments International ucla's fit just fine .

p.s Leafs Suck;)

T

timbangley

Reaction score
more water = less expansion
less water = more expansion
remember more is less and less is more...

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
FWIW, only externally connected implants should be cast in all plastic. There is no way to lap an internal connection. I wouldn't do it. Use a gold plastic combo, or mill one and pass on the cost.
I always use gold-resin cast to abutments.
If you have an engaging type with ext hex, there is no way you can make a lapping tool for the internal feature to meet that external hex either.
Most lapping tools are not designed to refine the screw seat - only the hole itself for screw to pass through. And if you do, then comes the question how
much of the metal remains after 'refining' the seat - since I know of none that
has 'stop' to the vertical component.
I agree - pass the cost and preferably, use the original implant manufacturer's parts for warranty reason - although some, like Atlantis, would
cover those of the implant itself from what I understand.
LCM

L

Lars Hansson CDT FICOI

Reaction score
Reading all these comments make me wonder if you all understand that using plastic components is detrimental to the implant success. When casting any of these the interface to the implant is compromised and you are creating a micro gap that will lead to bacteria leaking into the abutment and then creating bone loss around the implant. This micro gap has proven that internal conical connection implants are superior over external or platform implants. Also that platform switching implants are the way to go. So please understand that using plastic part might be cheaper while your patient will loose bone and tissue and that all creates a esthetic failure later on.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Hey Lars,thanks for the advice.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I use cast to with a metal (gold or titanium) connection from manufacturer just because I like to rely on the accuracy/precision of the same manufacturer having all their specs and tolerances worked out (I hope they did).
However, I have seen many external hex, good old Branemark implants who do just fine and are not esthetic or clinical failure to routinely request internal connections. Sometimes the papers quoted for that micro-gap are reported by users of that system, or even paid for/sponsored by the manufacturers.
LCM