Captek vs electroplating

U

USGooner

Reaction score
Ok so I've never done either restoration and it seems as electroplating has gone out of fashion, but what are your alls thoughts on the one vs the other. I know captek has a great reputation and there is a rep that posts often here. The one thing I like about the electroplated units is the ability to press to them. Anyway any input would be great, thanks.

A

alphadental

Reaction score
We did a lot of electroplating using GES system : was grate for crowns , telescopic overdentures and etc. . But because price of gold we do not have any more demand now

doug

doug

Reaction score
We used to do quite a bit of Captek. I haven't had a request in over two years. I thought they were working on a way to press to Captek, but haven't heard anything since Argen took them in.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
We used to do quite a bit of Captek. I haven't had a request in over two years. I thought they were working on a way to press to Captek, but haven't heard anything since Argen took them in.

I've pressed pulse mc to captek for over four years, not one failure.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
I have pressed ceramco ic to captek with no problems. Captek is a totally different structure than electroformed copings.

U

USGooner

Reaction score
How are the costs for an average crown compared to say a high noble white gold alloy. We are currently using ivoclars design 91 alloy. Significantly more or less per crown. I love the brilliant gold color, I had a facially thin central and dr is old school and doesn't like doing all ceramics much, even emax, and I thought it might've helped with esthetics in challenging situations.

I realize there is still opacity but I love that bright gold!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just a follow up thought in that Captek's technology, the 2 layers combined, creates a ion something or other, that repels plaque, for better tissue health and response compared to regular gold or electroplating. I believe Argen is now promoting Captek CAD/CAM copings?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Electroplating is biogenic as well.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, I did not know that :)

M

martintay

Reaction score
It can be tricky to hit the C shades due to the warm gold colour- same with AEG copings.

A

AaronR

Reaction score
great discussion here by everyone and you all are hitting each nail on the head :)

as we know, electroplating (thin layer) or electroforming (thicker layers) is a metal/alloy deposition process, done from a solution on to a die. And the die is usually coated with a conductive paint for gaining electrical continuity.
Plating can be electrolytic or electroless (not requiring electricity). Examples of electroplating – plating gold on NP alloy prosthesis. and as some know, examples of electroforming – Galvano or Graham system to make coping. The strength of plated coping is much less than that of Captek.

Captek is much different than electroplating / forming and is very unique. It is fabricated using a proprietary two step process where capillary technology allows the gold to infiltrate into a skeleton of hard and stable platinum/palladium particles. The result is a “Reinforced Gold” sometimes referred to as “metal composite” where the metals do not alloy and the true attributes of the metals used are maintained. Composite metal is the only method to combine the strength of low gold elements, the beauty and resiliency of pure gold with thermal stability, oxides and corrosion free, at the same time promoting long term stable healthy tissue.

Captek can be "pressed to", as PJD shares his success with press-to-Captek. i'll post a technical tutorial on our guidance on this subject as well.

As USgooner shared, he had an "old school" doctor (not into all ceramics) that faced an anterior with a thin facial wall and Captek is ideal for those scenarios.

Car54 nailed it by saying that due to the particle make up of Captek, it has an ability to inhibit plaque / bacteria formation in the sulcus; Captek is the healthiest restorative material. And yes, we are offering Captek via a digital platform (i'll post a techincal write up on this subject that was published in LMT magazine in April).

I will also post a technical tutorial on opaque considerations on Captek due to its high value from the outer gold layer that can help you achieve higher esthetics.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
I have an AGC machine that I used to make beautiful copings. Best part was loaded the machine up at night, had copings in the morning. I too pressed pulse to them with great results, no franchise fees. Price of gold solution though got to high and Zr copings had arrived via picalo...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for your follow up info., CaptekAaron, as it's been awhile since I've kept up with Captek. I may eventually check out the Digital version, to see how it looks and goes.

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Car 54, you're very welcome!!! anytime you or any other fellow DLN'ers want to hop on a quick webinar, i can show you the "ins and outs" of Digital Captek!!

make it a great day :)

Top Bottom