CAM software?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Is there a CAM out there that when you have an error while milling, doesn't make you restart the mill from the begining? I'm using SUM3D with my Roland, I keep getting "A motor position is lost" error. So I have to restart my job. I'm getting tired of this and I'm looking for a different software, unless there is a way to stop this insanity!!! It's not fun having to spend a couple of hours on a job, only to get an error and have to re-start the freeking thing!!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You can look at milling job and determine the last GOOD operation preformed....like finishing external or ??

Delete that and all operations before it while in SUM3d. (You have re-opened that CAM file.)

Then, export only the operations you still need milled, and send to mill! DO NOT REMOVE THE DISK, OR you're in a mess!

You simply expand the milling strategy tree to show all individual operations, Highlight the name of operations and press "Delete"

This only makes changes for this one block's milling strategy. maybe you have too much slop in one of your axis belts, or dust on encoder/sensor, or bad USB cable, or too many things plugged into your PC's USB system? Just an idea?

TaDa!

Last edited:
Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Shane,

Scott is correct. The CAM software is sending commands to the machine in order of operation (rough side one, rough side two, finish side one, finish side two). If the mill finishes the roughing path on both sides of the puck and stops during the finish pass on the 2nd side of the puck then you just need to isolate the tool path for the 2nd side finish and resend that to the mill. No need to resend the entire job.

-Glenn

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
All machines break. All of mine have been repaired. It is the nature of the beast.

Some new machines are delivered with problems that get worked out and discovered only under daily use.

It happens.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Wouldn't that mean I have to keep the same job up in SUM3D? What I mean is, after I get a job sent to the mill I'm right back to scanning more cases. So once I get everything scanned I usually start another job and get my cases dropped in. I wouldn't be able to do that, or is there a way to import previous jobs? Looks like I'm in some need for 'edumacation' looking forward to heading to Cally in Nov. Hey Scott you still planning on hosting SUM3D trainig out there?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
In SUM3d...look at the very top Left "TEXT" and click on "File", then maybe "Open"?
(I'm in a different area of lab now)

Scroll down untill you see the job you want to re-open. You are opening a .CAM file, which is in your SUM3d Folder in Program Files in your HDD.

Double cliky on that and you are right back in that old job.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My Haas is a little late. I want to play with it before the CAM meeting.

I think Luigi will be here after Sept. 8th....then again in Ca in November (West Coast CAD/CAM Convention).

Five weeks away or so for my little thingy on the East Coast...

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
good luck with your meeting, cya in nov

Last edited: