Cad process for implants

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Looking for answers to this: If a doc scans an implant scan body and the lab designs the abutments and frame from the scan, does the resulting milled or printed model have dies milled like the abutments or are they shaped like the implant body which would allow for the abutment to be placed into them (similar to the way we currently scan abutments from impressions)?

I haven't had one of these yet, but I have had the question directed to me and I know I will be confronted with this in the near future. Any help on how this process works would be appreciated.:confused:

doug

doug

Reaction score
Interesting question. I was talking to the guy at Itero today and it seems that when the file comes to you, you can design your abutment, send it to, say Straumann, and then the "impression file goes to them to have the model made. I didn't ask, I just made the mental leap that there would be an analog of some sort in the model so I could complete the case.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I know someone has the answer to this...the scan body kits are available now through Glidewell and Astratech.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I saw a video of a CAD Implant model being made. Hole was drilled in milled model and implant was placed by robot arm if I remember correctly?

Looked like a crazy expensive set-up.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
There are a couple ways being tried out.

I have seen analogs glued into an indexed hole in the model, and I've seen the antirotation and threads incorporated into the model manufacturing. The latter is obviously cheaper.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Interesting question. I was talking to the guy at Itero today and it seems that when the file comes to you, you can design your abutment, send it to, say Straumann, and then the "impression file goes to them to have the model made. I didn't ask, I just made the mental leap that there would be an analog of some sort in the model so I could complete the case.

I spoke with Cadent today and this is the correct process. The analog will seat down into the Itero model and the corresponding abutments will be screwed into those.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I believe 3M will have your abutment design as an inherent part of the model. No analog.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I believe 3M will have your abutment design as an inherent part of the model. No analog.

It will be interesting to see how the various CAD-Cam companies handle the implant models and also which ones provide the most accuracy. At least with the abutments positioned directly in the analogs, it would be easier to provide a positioning guide for the abutments to aid the doc with placement. I'm not sure how that would work out with the situation you mentioned above.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I don't think scanning abutments work with intraoral scanners?? The pieces Glide well sells are for 3Shape scanners. Unless you have an intraoral and design station that are the same, sharing the same files then I don't see how that would work because each system uses it's own scan abutment shape to dictate implant direction. Depending on the scan abutments and how the cad files are installed and handled by your design software will determine wether or not you deal with a two piece abutment that get's glued or cast or if you have a one piece with interface milled into the actual abutment.